Bad News:

Just recently Friday last week he had said four to seven words in complete full sentences! He sounded clearer and louder. In fact that he got back some of his full sentences and words, it is just not something you would ever expect to happen within two weeks since he has Aphasia! It's truly a miracle!

that fab news!!

Absolutely wonderful Cheri!! It all seems to be going great. Soon he will be back to himself again.

:D I'm very happy to hear that he's getting his language back.

I've had to fight this crazy, chronic fatigue long after I had my stroke. It just take time, but if it continues to tire him too much, you may want to speak with the therapists, so that they do not tire him too much. :)

Update:

Things are going really well for dad. ;)

The last time I came to see him he was sitting in his wheelchair during speech therapy, the speech therapist had asked dad a few questions, she pointed to the cup and asked him what is this, and he respond "cup", *pointed to the table* he respond "table" and *points to the bed" he respond "That is my bed" :giggle:

Also dad was sucking on ice chips and practice swallowing, He did real good.

He can occasionally turns his own body to his side all by himself with no assistance. He doesn't sleep on his back anymore. That's another miracle! but one time he turned himself to the edge of the bed and he fell off, he bumped his back head on the dresser next to the bed, he got hurt. I saw the two big bumps on the back of his head, poor dad. :(

Still great progress even after the fall, so that shows he is strong in spirit. :)

I'm very thankful that he is getting better and better. Seems like he's making great progress. I really do thank you for taking the time to update us as often as you do. You are a wonderful daughter.

Cheri.. looks like your dad is improving by the days... that's wonderful news indeed... I'm sure your dad will work harder to improve me and surprise everyone, including ya...

Yea! He has his own goals chart so every time he improves during occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy he is given a sticker that goes on his chart. So he can keep in track of his process.

His progress is very encouraging. :)

Update: About dad

After practicing with ice chips for a week, they had let him try to drink a couple sip of water and swallowed. He did pretty good. Just a matter of time before he can be able to try food. I can't wait! He's making remarkable progress and I'm so happy! :thumb:

Cheri, thanks for your "weekly" progress report. Glad to hear Dad's coming along. U and the rest of the family hang in there.:hug:

sounds good about your dad's progress! but what's ice chips? what for?

sounds good about your dad's progress! but what's ice chips? what for?

Ice chips are ice cubes--they are cut up in smaller pieces. It is to test practice swallow function, they normally use ice chips, jello, water, pudding.. ;)

After practicing with ice chips for a week, they had let him try to drink a couple sip of water and swallowed. He did pretty good. Just a matter of time before he can be able to try food. I can't wait! He's making remarkable progress and I'm so happy! :thumb:
Looking forward to the day when he can eat his own BBQ meat again. :lol:

that great!! Kept updates

Update:

As of this past week, Dad no longer reply on the feeding tube, he had successfully passed the swallowing test and he's now on a well-balanced diet such as vegetables, whole gains, fruits..He's doing so well and I'm so proud of him! ;)

My sister (Angel) has pictures of dad eating pudding, cup cake (for his birthday) on facebook.. so anyone who has access to her profile account would be able to view the pictures of our dad.... Sorry but I cannot post any pictures of dad out of respect for our family.. they don't want pictures view to the public...:)

As of this past week, Dad no longer reply on the feeding tube, he had successfully passed the swallowing test and he's now on a well-balanced diet such as vegetables, whole gains, fruits..He's doing so well and I'm so proud of him! ;)

That's great news Cheri. I am happy for your family.:wave:

Back