B.A. Degree

No great shock...it takes an M.Ed. to land a federal job paying $40 a year....actually when I earned my M.Ed., I only made $30K a year......

Laura

Oh wow, the pay is getting more lousy now.

My mother doesn't have much pay raise and she has master degree in nursing and my father will retire in 2016 from maintenance at university institution.

It was always this bad in federal service. I remember reading about Queen Noor of Jordan, who is American. Her Dad was a pilot. Somehow he got sucked into federal service under the Kennedy administration. I remember she said that they couldn't follow her father to DC when Kennedy took the oath because he couldn't "afford to take his family." He actually made more in the private sector, but in federal service, they all starved. When I read that I just thought "Oh crap, what did I get myself into...."

My mother worked for years as a RN but she earned nothing but peanuts in those days...now it's the best bet....if you can find a hospital hiring, that is. All my mother has to show for her service is barely $300 a month for a pension and life long severe back pain.

Laura

My mother doesn't have much pay raise and she has master degree in nursing and my father will retire in 2016 from maintenance at university institution.

I have a Masters and havent gotten a raise in 5 years. Sucks, huh? Guess it could be worse.

Check out the link in my original post from the U.S. Census beau.

Educational Attainment in the United States: 2012 - Detailed Tables - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Go to table 3 and download the spread sheet.

Oh, I took a look. That's not actually the graduation rate. It's saying that the % of people over age 25 who hold a Bachelor's degree as of 2012. It is estimted that there are currently 28.9 million Americans, as of 2012, had a BS/BA regardless of where it was obtained.

In other words, 14.1% of the US population had a BS/BA that are 25 years or older based on the 2012 Census CPS sampling. (The CPS are not the same as the Census 2000 or 2010 samples they sent to houesholds, these are polled by target populations and they calculate it to estimate the rest of the nation).

If you go down further and glance at the Master's and PhD's, you'll see it.
It is not saying that only 0-5% people graduated with Master's or 1.5% with JD/other and 1.6% with PhD, those are the percentage of folks it estimates in the USA with those degrees.

I'm not surprised about this article. It's becoming more widespread for employers to want to have college educated people to work for them, even if it's for a position that contains a very simple description. College is not for everybody. What about the ones that are being left on a back burner just because they don't have a college degree but yet, they are able to perform the job? It's ludricious.

It's like this... employers are looking for those who are committed. It takes a very real commitment to finish college. That value is what gets them hired long term. The old job minimum was a high school diploma or a GED. A degree is often today's minimum. The REAL evildoers aren't the employers but instead the colleges who are charging an arm and leg for meeting minimum entry standards. UH took me for $27,000 and three years of my life... and I have nothing to show for it. My degree will only net me a minimum wage torturous lab job. Vacationguy hit the nail dead on with trade jobs. That's where it's all at nowadays.

It's like this... employers are looking for those who are committed. It takes a very real commitment to finish college. That value is what gets them hired long term. The old job minimum was a high school diploma or a GED. A degree is often today's minimum. The REAL evildoers aren't the employers but instead the colleges who are charging an arm and leg for meeting minimum entry standards. UH took me for $27,000 and three years of my life... and I have nothing to show for it. My degree will only net me a minimum wage torturous lab job. Vacationguy hit the nail dead on with trade jobs. That's where it's all at nowadays.

yup. high turnover rate = costly

and these companies are looking for a more career-oriented people.

I think he was joking :dunno2:
Yeah, because it sounded like how long a file clerk will live. :lol: No hard feeling! However I know that you meant how long a file clerk tends to stay or how long a file clerk keeps the job. Interesting, since my sister-in-law worked as a file clerk at a hospital for 10 years or so. She's on disability income now due to carpal tunnel syndrome.

Last edited:
Oh, I took a look. That's not actually the graduation rate. It's saying that the % of people over age 25 who hold a Bachelor's degree as of 2012. It is estimted that there are currently 28.9 million Americans, as of 2012, had a BS/BA regardless of where it was obtained.

Point taken, my statement that it only included U.S. students was incorrect.

Given that, even less American workers have the higher education that employers seek.

Back