B.A. Degree

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jiro, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Jiro

Jiro If You Know What I Mean Premium Member

It Takes a B.A. to Find a Job as a File Clerk

2. Grummer

Grummer Active Member

not suprised at all

3. shel90

shel90 Audist are not welcome Premium Member

My work will start requiring teacher's aides to have a BA degree soon. However, if a BA is required, then the pay should go up.

4. ambrosia

ambrosia Well-Known Member Premium Member

Absolutely!! Paying off student loans for a $10 an hour job? Sounds like financial suicide. Or they could start making a college education free like in Japan :D I like that idea

5. NitroHonda

NitroHonda New Member

I have a BS which has been rendered "useless" considering my current career. College for me... was more a learning experience than prepping me for a career. I mean I did benefit but not in the sense that it was intended for.

6. VacationGuy234

VacationGuy234 Active Member

It's getting closer, but it is still a long way from reality. Today, only 14% of U.S. students graduate from four year, higher education as of 2012. The requirements may have changed, but the reality of available workers has not.

The solution to this problem is adult education past high school instead of a four year degree, this is what those companies are getting. Industry may want more educated workers, but they are also going to have to pay for them as well with work paid schooling.

Educational Attainment in the United States: 2012 - Detailed Tables - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

What is more interesting is that trade workers for construction are much harder to find today. Given this reality, I'd go to trade school before I put money into a four year degree. It was the reverse when I was going to school year ago.

Lack of skilled workers threatens recovery: Manpower | Reuters

7. Rio

Rio Patriots Rock! Premium Member

Wirelessly posted

In my opinion, that's ridiculous. You can't make ends meet with a file clerk career at $10. Even teacher's aide, those requirements are way to high for the job position.

8. deafdrummer

deafdrummer Active Member

GD right, Rio... It's BS, all part of the higher-education industrial complex. I have a master's degree and STILL work retail. It doesn't require a GD college degree to file papers or otherwise push them around. A yet another reason why I want to get out of Houston. Americans have lost their asses and don't know where they're going.

9. CrazyPaul

CrazyPaul Active Member

One of my classmates went to Gally and got BA, then he went to look for a job as a teacher for the Deaf but he was hired as a dorm supervisor instead. Better than nothing, I guess.

10. SneakerNet

SneakerNet My IQ: 12 Premium Member

Job Ad:

Road Paver, B.S. degree require, must have healthy back, $7.20/Hr, please contact Randy at 333.213.3554

11. BrittBritt

BrittBritt New Member

Lol please tell me u made that up!

12. NitroHonda

NitroHonda New Member

He did. The federal minimum wage is $7.25.

:lol:

13. TXgolfer

TXgolfer Dream Weaver Premium Member

I had 2 PhDs work for me. One as a painter and one as a demolition guy.

14. VacationGuy234

VacationGuy234 Active Member

To be fair, Boston is a lot different than other cities. Here, your statement is 100% true, but other cities' handling of quality of life is not so closely tied to income. The difference is that we pay a very high percentage of income for housing compared to that of cities.

15. naisho

naisho Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D

I think the one problem is the US' direction on capitalism. Since businesses get to decide their standards, getting a 4-year college degree person sounds a lot less riskier than getting a high school diploma person for the job. They basically want to eliminate the people with meager educational attainment.

Another second problem is making education a business than seeing it as a skill. People are inclined to go to college these days in order to get a degree --> so it gets the job they or employers want. The education isn't important as much as the aspects of getting job/money, so it can make education look 'undervalued'.

A lot of the public tends to see if a person is successful by the title/position they have in business (big $/position) compared to the amount of education they received. There are a lot of celebrities who are classic examples, as are other people who got rich with high school degrees or barely any college education, yet have a big fan base or idolized by the public. It brings a focus on "making the bucks" a priority than the education itself.

That number doesn't sound right. Are you sure it is on grad rates, because it is implying that 86% of US students who attempt college, flunk and drop out of undergrad. That means like 1 in 10 students will pass college?

It sounds like there is another condition or something else involved, but I can't put my finger on it.

16. CrazyPaul

CrazyPaul Active Member

I believe it will be $9/hr but I don't know when it will be effective. I recently saw the State of the Union on TV regarding that.

17. Foxrac

Foxrac Well-Known Member Premium Member

$8 per hour for CA. :lol:

18. TXgolfer

TXgolfer Dream Weaver Premium Member

Lets hope not. THAT will be a disaster.

19. NitroHonda

NitroHonda New Member

The minimum wage is crazy! We've got to get that nonsense abolished. Employers should pay whatever they want to pay. After all it is THEIR business. Good businessmen know that what they pay their employees directly affects their reputation.

20. CrazyPaul

CrazyPaul Active Member

Yeah, especially rappers. They make millions dollars just for rapping. Of course, some of them write music. Unbelievable! They know what young generations want. Most of them just went from ghetto to fame.