Awful shade-tree repairs!

clglenn

Reaction score
I recently bought a car off the auction block. I got it for next to nothing and it's a great vehicle. There's just one problem. The sunroof won't open. I pulled the headliner and checked the mechanicals and other components and everything looks right. The motor tries to run when I press the button, but stops almost immediately. There's nothing wrong with the hardware.
So, Just being curious, I got a ladder and got to where I could see the top of the SUV and found that the previous owner had covered the seams and gaps in clear silicone sealant. It's all over everything on top of the car. I'm absolutely baffled as to why someone would do this and would love to remove it, but auto body shops tell me I'm going to spend more than I paid for the vehicle to fix this poorly considered repair.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely remove this sealant without damaging the rubber seals, glass or paint finish?

I'm guessing the sunroof leaked and that is why they sealed it. Removing the sealant and fixing the leak probably will end up costing you a lot of money.

If it is NOT factory installed sun-roof, don't bother fixing it because it could only get worse. There is no such as great off-market sun-roof, hence why they quit making and selling them long time ago.

I wouldn't try fix them at all, because since sealant was installed for reason in the first place.

BTW, I love sun/moon roof, one of my vehicle has factory installed.

I agree that the sealant it's there for a leak. For some people it might be bad thing to mess with, for others it might be something to play with to fix as done proofs can figure things out better then others and laugh at thier misfortune

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AllDeaf App mobile app

To remove silicone sealant is to rubbing it with your finger and pull old silicone sealant slowly and scrap under the sealant with plastic scraper as you pull. Keep effort as you can. I can think of Goo Gone... it can help to resolve or soften old silicone sealant.
You says motor stop. Sounds like weak motor. The sticky sunroof mechanical such as channels or slides or weatherstrips inside the sunroof opening that can lead the electrical motor failure. That's why the previous owner sealed it. The sunroof repairs are not funny.

I forget to say: many of them were rusted parts such as channels where the parts are no longer made. If you are a metal fabricator then good to make new one, make sunroof happy..

Thank you all for the input! It's truly appreciated! The sunroof is from the factory, but due to potential costs associated with the possible need to repair after taking the sealant off, I'm just going to ignore it and leave it.

Back