Audie Wants Me to Get $5200 Hearing Aids (Resound) Need Help, Recommendations etc

zeefour

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I finally have a good audiologist. She's great and was super helpful. Said that the other tests were showing some of my cochlea hair weren't badly damaged, but I had other inner ear damage in addition to my temporal bone fracture.

Anyway as much as I love her and will keep her as my doc, I might go a different direction than the HAs she's suggesting (though whatever I get she'll help fit and follow up with me with)

She's trying to get me on the Resound HAs. I have severe loss in that ear, close to prefound. I'm active, need something that can connect with Bluetooth and things, and have problems with background noise. The HAs are $2600.

I have Colorado Medicaid which doesn't cover a cent of HAs. In the past I had military insurance which was different. Anyway I've been recommended to the Starky Foundation by friends and I'm filling out packets for them but they seem like they only cover certain models. I've already set up an appointment with our state DVR to see if they can help since I need my HA badly for work and school, but I know DVR is a slow process.

Does anyone have experience with Resound HAs? Are they worth the outrageous price and trying to get someway to pay for it. If Resounds aren't worth it, any others people recommend? I

I've been in contact with Audicius and they have some standard models, the guy says they have models suitable for my hearing loss, they'd only be like 500-600$ a piece. But are these online sites reliable and good quality?

You guys have all been such a great help and I appreciate all your input and advice. Thank you!!!!!!!!

I'm following this.

We have updated our insurance for next year. It's time for me to shop for my new hearing aids. I'm profoundly deaf. I have Starkey hearing aids for 5 years and they're okay. I can hear people talking behind my back and everything, but I struggle to hear my own voice with digital hearing aids. I used to able to hear myself with analog hearing aids.

I wonder the same thing about Resound HAs. Never tried them before. I would like to know feedback as well. I'm also looking into Oticon Dynamo now.

when i tried resound (the lower priced ones) i absolutely hated them. this probably wont be the case for you as you getting the higher priced ones. the higher priced one i have no experience with but they have more features and more subbands for each frequency of sounds. I am more sensitive with certain sounds so i require a more precise control of sounds. digitals is my enemy right now -- i am wearing digitals and i still cannot get used to them. its my second digital ha and i STILL cannot get used to them. I think i still love the analogs. in fact at times i cry for them ( not really but inside i do ) .

I believe that almost all audiologists will let you try different brands for 30 days till you find the one you like. its just like a car - all cars are great when you drive them new -- but overtime you need to be comfortable with them as everything in life always have their own quirks.

I have Resound HAs - the Enzo 9 series. I absolutely adore them. I have a profound hearing loss (115+ db loss) and I now hear things I never heard before. I have an iPhone, and the Enzo series links (bluetooth) to the iPhones, so I can listen to my music, etc. My loss is so profound I still cannot ever use a phone the conventional way, not that I care, but the quality of what I do hear now is astounding and clear. Do you have an iPhone? I wonder if that's why your audi was recommending you get the Resounds. I paid 7k for mine. (For the pair.)

A reminder about costs. When getting them from a reputable audiologist the cost includes x number of visits to his/her office and usually free batteries for an x timeframe.
Mine is usually for 1 year of however many visits I need and however many batteries I may need.
So consider how much office visits are & batteries. And maybe a few other things that may be included.

I have Resound HAs - the Enzo 9 series. I absolutely adore them. I have a profound hearing loss (115+ db loss) and I now hear things I never heard before. I have an iPhone, and the Enzo series links (bluetooth) to the iPhones, so I can listen to my music, etc. My loss is so profound I still cannot ever use a phone the conventional way, not that I care, but the quality of what I do hear now is astounding and clear. Do you have an iPhone? I wonder if that's why your audi was recommending you get the Resounds. I paid 7k for mine. (For the pair.)

I'm certainly going to check those out. Thanks for the info.

I'm certainly going to check those out. Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. The Resound Enzos has a 5, 7 and 9 series. What you would choose is based on the flexibility of volume control, etc. I figured if I was going to spend thousands of dollars as is, I might as well pay for the most convenience so I went with the 9's.

Can you hear your voice with Resound HAs?

Oh yes. I can hear everyone's voices. I just still need to lipread which is why I still can't talk on the phone.

I'm glad you do. Since they're digital, I know they don't sound like analog, right?

My husband has higher-end digital Resounds and really likes them. also, zeefour - good luck with DVR - I just applied and got in<there was quite a wait though>. I had DVR in college. Last week was my first meeting with the counselor. We're looking at covering HA testing and possibly aids - I've never worn aids before.

I'm glad you do. Since they're digital, I know they don't sound like analog, right?
To be honest, I'm deaf enough that it's difficult for me to distinguish between digital and analog. I will say that these Resounds have a much clearer quality to them, though. And volume. Maybe that's the difference.

$5200? Its a shame HAs are so expensive these days. I find it hard to pay that much $$ for something so small. I could use that $$ for a new furnace. Or a new fridge and stove too. New siding on the house. Wall to wall new carpeting/floors. Sucks. Mind boggling. My Blue Cross/Blue Shield doesn't cover HAs at all. But, will cover a CI. WTH? Sighs. Rant over.

$5200? Its a shame HAs are so expensive these days. I find it hard to pay that much $$ for something so small. I could use that $$ for a new furnace. Or a new fridge and stove too. New siding on the house. Wall to wall new carpeting/floors. Sucks. Mind boggling. My Blue Cross/Blue Shield doesn't cover HAs at all. But, will cover a CI. WTH? Sighs. Rant over.

Totally understandable. I had a hard time coughing up the 7k for this - I ended up cashing out my work pension. But my previous HAs were breaking (one was totally broken, the other needed repairs, and it was just not worth maintaining 10+ year old HAs anymore.) There's so many other things I would have liked to have done too if I wasn't spending it on HAs. But I have zero regrets.

That's something I may be doing..setting up a fund for hearing aids (among other things...). The current pair are still fairly new...not quite 5 years old yet. Resounds sounds like something I'd be willing to try. I don't think I ever felt a huge difference between analog and digital...still wanted to max out the power on both of 'em lol.

I meet with an audiologist the second week of Jan. Going for an Enzo. My boss told me he would pay for half. Nice guy. :)

I have a friend with the Enzos. (you might wanna check out the Enzo 3D as well)
IT'S NOT 3 DIMENSIONAL YOU FOOLS ;)

Late to the party here but as a lifelong HA wearer, my latest HA is a Resound and I love it! Prior to Resound I had Oticon for many years followed by Phonak for 3-4 years before moving on to Resound. I've liked all three brands but find that Resound is the best all around sound quality of the three. It also has the added advantage of direct streaming from an iPhone (with no dongling nonsense). This allows clearer telephone calls as you can mute the surrounding environment while on the phone instead of using the t-coil (which it also has should that be your preference).

I have an older pair of Resound Vivids that are still my go to HA's when going to a noisy place do to there fantastic background noise cancellation abilities. Go to Costco: they sell Resound HA's with Bluetooth for about 1/2 what your audiologist wants.

Hey everyone. I finally have a good audiologist. She's great and was super helpful. Said that the other tests were showing some of my cochlea hair weren't badly damaged, but I had other inner ear damage in addition to my temporal bone fracture.

Anyway as much as I love her and will keep her as my doc, I might go a different direction than the HAs she's suggesting (though whatever I get she'll help fit and follow up with me with)

She's trying to get me on the Resound HAs. I have severe loss in that ear, close to prefound. I'm active, need something that can connect with Bluetooth and things, and have problems with background noise. The HAs are $2600.

I have Colorado Medicaid which doesn't cover a cent of HAs. In the past I had military insurance which was different. Anyway I've been recommended to the Starky Foundation by friends and I'm filling out packets for them but they seem like they only cover certain models. I've already set up an appointment with our state DVR to see if they can help since I need my HA badly for work and school, but I know DVR is a slow process.

Does anyone have experience with Resound HAs? Are they worth the outrageous price and trying to get someway to pay for it. If Resounds aren't worth it, any others people recommend? I

I've been in contact with Audicius and they have some standard models, the guy says they have models suitable for my hearing loss, they'd only be like 500-600$ a piece. But are these online sites reliable and good quality?

You guys have all been such a great help and I appreciate all your input and advice. Thank you!!!!!!!!
I have a set of hearing aids you can have I don't use there still have warranty and very powerful but small I'm 80%deaf getting implant cl Fri so I only need 1 set
I can ship to you but they need programming

Back