Attention: Deaf canadians!

Discussion in 'Deaf Products & Technologies' started by Royale, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Royale

Royale Active Member

Last week the CRTC has issued a press note about Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-430 and there are a couple of real important notes about IP Relay Service and VRS.

Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-430

Since it is a very long press note, I have copied and pasted two sections about IP Relay and VRS below:

It means we will not have our VRS in place until at least winter 2012. :mad:

I am going to contact my friends in CAD, CCSD and other organizations to see if they can push the CRTC hard and aggressively to have ILECs implemented VRS as soon as 2010 or 2011.

CAD and CCSD has had a partnership in VRS called Sign Relay Canada (SRC) and they did apply for a license to run VRS. The CRTC had no choice but rejected their license because of their stupid and ridiculous policy which states that the ILECs get first opportunity to get a license to run any kind of service. I know for a fact that the SRC is already ready to run the VRS but they are stuck with the CRTC decision on awarding licenses to the ILECs.

2. souggy

souggy New Member

Oh... wow.

May I have your permission to blog the siplet you have posted on the forum?

3. Royale

Royale Active Member

Be my guest.

You might know Henry Vlug, a Deaf lawyer in Vancouver. He went to the CRTC hearing and proceedings so maybe you can ask him for more information. I believe he is one of the best sources that you can contact.

4. souggy

souggy New Member

Merci. Unfortunately, I don't know him since I have fell out of being in contact with the Deaf community. Thanks for the heads up though.

It seems like the CRTC is not aware of how many deaf people out there that want this technology.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  5. Royale

Royale Active Member

Ah it is okay.

Jim Roots of the CAD told me that the CRTC has been not enough aware of or ignorant of our needs and rights so they need to be educated amd understood.

6. arlanda

arlanda New Member

Does this mean, in Canada, we're unable to connect to a relay operator via VoIP at the meantime? I've recently upgraded to VoIP and I'm currently looking for a solution/workaround to use the TTY-to-Voice service.

7. Banjo

Banjo Expelled Premium Member

I'm not impressed with CRTC. What a bunch of moronic bureaucrats.

8. Royale

Royale Active Member

:werd: I cannot agree with you more.

Here's a press statement from Canadian Association of the Deaf.

» News & » Canadian Association of the Deaf

9. drphil

drphil Active Member

The above press statement from CAD is "unavailable"- error.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

10. Anij

Anij Well-Known Member

11. drphil

drphil Active Member

Now corrected.

12. jwillisbarrie

jwillisbarrie Member

I heard that Telus is starting a test of IP relay - Rogers and Bell ???
    IP Relay Client

13. drphil

drphil Active Member

Bell doesn't to the best of my knowledge-no info with Bell phone bills which I receive every month as a Bell customer>

14. Smithtr

Smithtr G.G.H.T Premium Member

Really Canada is very correct I need to information to me Thank! P.S I need to research find more Canadian IP Hope be tell me :D

15. Anij

Anij Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely it would be "advertised" in your bill etc.

Rogers new IP Relay service (which is actaully IM Relay so far but WILL be IP relay soon) wasn't advertised to any of their current customers (I am one, as are many others I know...none of whom received any notification from Rogers in any format at all.

My mum is a Telus client and she's received NO information regarding Telus's IP Relay service.

And previously as an MTS customer no one ever received any updates regarding relay service changes (other than if the 711 service fee changed)

Most of the time these things are NOT advertised at all ... they send an email out to places like CAD, and local organizations for the Deaf as well as 711 operators but that's basically it ... and you'll NEVER see anything on TV as an advert for the new IP Relay service :(

16. Smithtr

Really Cad is very serious, I believe telus charge service 711 change new policy now!! that is why I think so July start new change rule!

17. Smithtr

GOOD NEWS!!!! for IP-Relay (not VRS)

Hello everyone.. I think I found some information about IP-Relay.

I hope anyone can read all pdf, doc and zip and see if they can agree with me what I was comment below. I hope I am not misunderstanding.
    2008-06-10 - #: 8665-C12-200807943 - Unresolved issues related to the accessibility of telecommunications and broadcasting services to persons with disabilities

I am not sure if I am read right but I don't want give you high hope but I need someone to confirm it (I hope CAD, CHS or other Deaf organization can confirm it)

Right now.. Telus is provide the IP-Relay for Telus (Alberta and BC).
    I found that Telus will provide the IP-Relay to Cogeco and Rogers and SaskTel (I suspect around December 2010.

I read Bell Canada (Quebec/Ontario) it doesn't said if it will have own IP-...Relay or use Telus IP Relay.

The reason why Rogers, Shaw, MTS (Manitoba), SaskTel, Cogeco could not set up their own IP-Relay in manner time. So They will use Telus IP-Relay for now as contract.

Right now, I am customer of Cogeco (Ontario) and I am using Cogeco Relay Service (they are under contracted with Telus Relay Service for TTY 711) but Cogeco have not start for IP-Relay with Telus.. not yet.

I will contact Cogeco see if they have IP-Relay ready.. if yes, maybe they will give me access number (it is only for my own personal account). That mean you will have to get your own access number. Maybe Cogeco will give me for Telus access number. Because I read PDF Telus will provide to Cogeco and Rogers... maybe SaskTel, maybe MTS (Manitoba) and maybe (Bell Canada, Bell Aviant)

Good News!!!

also
    Chris Newman
    IP Relay Client

you can access Telus IP Relay.. It is only for Telus customer who pay to Telis Bill for Phone and Internet.. I am not sure which required both or one of them..

How do you know if you can access.. you will need special access number, they will give you if you are allow (depend where you live)

You must have access number.. you need to have Telus Customer with bill pay that you are use Relay Service then you will get Access number.

But I could not find any Telus Video Relay Service. I think it is secret website address because it is trial and it is limit number to involved trial. If you involved.. I am sure they will give you website address or software program to download.

That's all I know... I am not sure what detail or how it work.

Many Thanks
    Chris Newman

I got my Facebook! thank

18. drphil

drphil Active Member

Thanks Chris for all the info. It just seems odd to me that carriers wouldn't advise their services re: IP et al. They does seem to advertise a great deal about their various new services- at least here in Toronto.

19. Anij

Anij Well-Known Member

Mainly it's because of cost - and because if they were to make a TV ad re the "new IP relay" the service would get SWARMED by hearing people who do not need the service, but either:
    A) "Just want to try it to see what it's about
    B) people who want to use the "anonymity" the service provides to prank/scam etc people/businesses etc.

It's the same reason that in the USA IP Relay, IM Relay and VRS are rarely if every advertised on TV - and if they are they are advertised more as a PSA (like the one's for CC etc during DAW) than the company doing a "commercial" for the product (in this can IP Relay).

Think about it - when was the last time you EVER saw a commercial or "Ad" for TTY Relay service - on TV, on the Radio, in a a publication etc ... never. In fact even on your phone bill "711" isn't explained, it's just listed as "711 Relay service" or at most a blurb saying something like "771 - TTY relay service for the Hard for hearing, Deaf and Speech Impaired"

20. drphil

drphil Active Member

Anij: I just checked my CURRENT Bell Canada phone bill-there is NO listing for TTY service. There is a listing for 911 emergency service access-0.18 per month.