Assimilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowpuppy

Reaction score
I been gone again. Realize thread locked. Have to say the idea of assimilating into a new country is important. Don't know foreign immigration laws but am betting that most require assimilating into new countries cultures as part of of immigrating.
You sign up for it, thems the rules. Don't like it go home. Immigrating is a privilege: not an entitlement right.
All the other arguments are irrelevant.
I been down that long immigration road.

To the best of my knowledge, most countries do not have a cultural assimilation requirement for immigration. The US, at least, does not.

To the best of my knowledge, most countries do not have a cultural assimilation requirement for immigration. The US, at least, does not.

Check out how hard it is to immigrate to Mexico and what you have to do to own property, distance from the border required, etc.....

It is much harder that immigrating to the US.

are you referring to following a country's cultural rules or the laws passed in the country?

are you referring to following a country's cultural rules or the laws passed in the country?

Probably means both.

Anyone remember the couple getting in trouble for a kiss? If you immigrate somewhere I would suggest you be ready to follow both.

It's not a real defined thing. General assimilation.
The idea is that you learn the language and learn history and civics. With the idea being that you are going to become an american.
If people want to come here just for the money and not try to become americans they can go home. Do we go to conservative islamic countries and act like american morons and they allow it? no. So, why should we put up with them acting like islamic "......"(unamerican) here.
You go to a country to be a part of it. Not for the money.

Well, I think it is hard to become an American if you and others have cultures coming from a different countries. I see what you mean.

It is the same with us, natives. They are trying to assimilated us to be like the white people banishing our traditional cultures that we have been doing for many thousands and thousand of years, even million years ago. Also they are killing our ancestors years ago with chicken poxes in the blankets and diseases to native people from the white people. In the late 1800, they tried to kill all the Buffalos (Bisons) to make us starved. We struggled with that too.

If you and others already had customs or traditions but could not change like languages and the way they dresses, then that is a hard thing to learn to change. Only way is to have children born in North America and they will be like American with English (if they can speak their traditional language too). The born American children will dress like everyone.

I know it is not fair but what can we do if we refuse to change except to follow some of the rules by the government in order to live in the North America? Immigration can be a bummer but that is the way the government had to set the rules up for us. **sigh** Not an easy task. :(

It's not a real defined thing. General assimilation.
The idea is that you learn the language and learn history and civics. With the idea being that you are going to become an american.
If people want to come here just for the money and not try to become americans they can go home. Do we go to conservative islamic countries and act like american morons and they allow it? no. So, why should we put up with them acting like islamic "......"(unamerican) here.
You go to a country to be a part of it. Not for the money.

Someone who sees/feels sense

As part of the process there should be classes in country the person is moving too

Well, in my view if one immigrates to a country with different cultural values and rules, I dont think they have to completely assimilate into the culture of that country. That's what makes America great ...all the different flavors from different cultures. However, to refuse to adapt to the new country's way of life can be difficult so yes, people should adopt some of cultural values and rules of the new country they are moving into while still maintaining their own cultural values.

Like, for example, Mexicans didn't completely abandon their traditional dishes but instead, they were introduced to Americans. Same with Italians, Chinese, Japanese, and etc..

Well, in my view if one immigrates to a country with different cultural values and rules, I dont think they have to completely assimilate into the culture of that country. That's what makes America great ...all the different flavors from different cultures. However, to refuse to adapt to the new country's way of life can be difficult so yes, people should adopt some of cultural values and rules of the new country they are moving into while still maintaining their own cultural values.

Like, for example, Mexicans didn't completely abandon their traditional dishes but instead, they were introduced to Americans. Same with Italians, Chinese, Japanese, and etc..

meals are hardly a cultural value.....but then again....eating dog??? (sounds familiar). What about drinking human blood....some cultures do that. Do we say one culture is ok and one is not? Wouldn't that be discrimination????

It's amazing to me people will stand for accepting the cultural values of immigrant groups but won't accept the the values of naturally born Americans.

meals are hardly a cultural value.....but then again....eating dog??? (sounds familiar). What about drinking human blood....some cultures do that. Do we say one culture is ok and one is not? Wouldn't that be discrimination????

It's amazing to me people will stand for accepting the cultural values of immigrant groups but won't accept the the values of naturally born Americans.

Food certainly is one aspect of a culture. That's why there is such a thing as "Mexican food", "Italian food", etc. As for the "eating dog" or "drinking blood", there's a difference between "assimilating into the foreign culture" and "obeying the foreign country's laws". The original poster was indicating that both should occur, rather than just the latter.

As for saying whether a culture is superior or not, there seem to be primarily two schools of thought on the subject. Either there is an absolute moral imperative, typically aligned exactly with "the currently accepted social mores of the [dominant culture, culture of speaker, culture that speaker idolizes]", or there is an absolute moral relativism, which means essentially that there is nothing more than personal opinions on morality, and no actions may be declared "moral" or not without input from the basis on which their decision was made.

I doubt either of them are right, though I'd lean slightly closer to the former. Obviously, context is important and there can very often be mitigating circumstances for an action, I'm pretty sure you can still say in many circumstances that one culture is objectively "wrong" about certain things. Of course, to say something is "objectively wrong", you have to have an objective basis for your decisions, which very few people are able to agree on. I would take the position that there is a logically consistent manner in which you can scientifically speak to whether an action is moral or not, which is culturally neutral. In that case, if your culture contradicts that scientifically moral stance, then it would be said that your culture is objectively wrong.

America is already full of different cultures. That is what I mean. If it is the law in America not to kill dogs for food, then the immigrants will have to follow it.

I was using meals as an example.

America is already full of different cultures. That is what I mean. If it is the law in America not to kill dogs for food, then the immigrants will have to follow it.

Is it iliegal to eat dogs? Drink blood?

Is it iliegal to eat dogs? Drink blood?

Don't quote me for certain on this, but I think it is. If by "blood" you man "human blood" then I'm fairly certain it is, and "eating dogs" might not be, but since capitalism is the driving force, if people find out you cook puppies in their dinner, you'll simply go out of business from people not wanting what you're selling.

Now you mentioned about eating dogs like Hot Dogs. That is funny. :lol:

Seriously, when the white hunters killed all the animals like the Buffalo (Bison). There were no foods for the ancestors (Indians) to hunt or not allowed to hunt by the reservation agents. They starved from not having any food. So they had to kill the dogs to survive. Also the reservation agents allowed to have flour, grease and sugar. There were limited foods for starving people on the reservations. That is why many of them don't want to live on the reservation. :(

No it does not, thank GAWD. Forced assimmilation is not a good thing. Some need to read a little history and anthropology.

Food and meals are most definately a cultural value.:roll:

Why should anyone automatically accept the cultural values of naturally born Americans? Just because they are American? Now there's an ethnocentric idea!:laugh2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back