ASL-> studying on the internet?

Calva

Reaction score
I hope, I'm right here with this thread.
I wanted to ask you, if it's possible to learn ASL vocabularies on the internet with some clips?
I need this language for a practical training at a deaf school. It would be great to know and use ASL there, because I can't use my own home language (German).

You can learn ASL anywhere. However, I suggest you practice more out with your friends or other people than only focusing with your own learning materials. There is a slight difference between the ASL you learn online or on books... and the ASL you use with other people. Not everyone signs it exactly the same as shown in the books or online. That's why it's important to use it often with others, so you can get a better feel of signing in ASL.

VamPyroX said:
I suggest you practice more out with your friends or other people than only focusing with your own learning materials. There is a slight difference between the ASL you learn online or on books...

Yes, certainly there is a difference between learn ASL online or with other people. But that's a problem, because I don't live in the USA and some of my friends knows only some vocabularies. That's why I want to learn more and online. I don't have another opportunity... If I wait til my practical training starts, then it's already too late to learn. :cry:

Oh yea, this link is good, if also some signs looks funny, for example "Hallelujah" ;)
Many thanks ;)

I have found that some people can't understand some of my signs because I learned a different "accent" from my instructor than some Deaf people from up north or the Midwest use. The same goes for the signs in ABC and what is signed locally (some of the signs still in ABC are 'politically incorrect' or 'insensitive' - someone should edit that!) :o

So, yes, the best way to learn is through interaction with other people. Using a book like ABC or flash cards or whatever can get you started though.

Back