ASL student learning about deaf community

anjelstar94

Reaction score
Hey im anjel. im hearing and currently learning ASL and about the deaf community. i came on here to learn more that i wouldnt learn in class and to make friends. Dont be shy! :)

I only got to finish ASL 1, unfortunately, but I did attend a lot of signing events around the area so my signing was getting pretty good... Then again that was a while back haha.

Im taking ASL 2 right now and i remember the signs but i have to really not be thinking about it when i sign or ill forget. i have a hard time remembering...or i have to see it lots of times to remember.

Im taking ASL 2 right now and i remember the signs but i have to really not be thinking about it when i sign or ill forget. i have a hard time remembering...or i have to see it lots of times to remember.

Yeah that's kinda how I feel. I can't wait to get back into it. I know I'm rusty for sure bc it's been a while. BUT I did go to bootcamp with a girl who knew ASL so we would sign when no one was looking lol.

That sounds. i really dont have anyway to practice but im currently teaching my son. Hes 1 and hearing, but he is getting the hang of sign.

Hi, I am new to the site. I have a 50% hearing loss and have been learning ASL for about 2 years. Will start to college in the spring for ASL/English interpreter. Glad I found this site.

Hi, I am new to the site. I have a 50% hearing loss and have been learning ASL for about 2 years. Will start to college in the spring for ASL/English interpreter. Glad I found this site.

Glad u found it too :) good luck learning ASL its a fun language.

Glad u found it too :) good luck learning ASL its a fun language.

It is not a fun language as it is visual and important to our Deaf needs. We need that to communicate so that we can understand what Deaf people say, even ASL interpreters. It is not suppose to be beautiful and fun language. :roll:

While I agree it's annoying when people constantly refer to ASL as a "Beautiful language" (no matter how poor the signing) just because it seems like a politically correct adjective (I actually wrote a blog post on that very topic), I don't think it is totally fair to criticize someone for calling a language "fun" or any other adjective they please. French, German, and Japanese can be "fun" languages if that is how the student feels about the language. Yes, they are also the main form of communication to those people but they can also be fun to learn if the Learners simply like languages. Tolkein loved other languages so much that he invented his own!

Back