ASL student attending Deaf event

Because I don't believe that snide remarks are always the case. Especially when the OP is learning about deaf culture, sign language and attending deaf events. As cynical as I am I can't imagine the hearing folks that attend deaf events are there to make fun of deaf people or make snide remarks about them.

Maybe I am just overly emotional today since Jillio is ok.

Because I don't believe that snide remarks are always the case. Especially when the OP is learning about deaf culture, sign language and attending deaf events. As cynical as I am I can't imagine the hearing folks that attend deaf events are there to make fun of deaf people or make snide remarks about them.

Probably not but if they know sign language and go to a deaf event for the sake of learning sign language, then why refrain from signing around deaf people when speaking with each other? They can see what we are talking about and but we cant hear what they are talking about.

Probably not but if they know sign language and go to a deaf event for the sake of learning sign language, then why refrain from signing around deaf people when speaking with each other? They can see what we are talking about and but we cant hear what they are talking about.
I don't know that the purpose of the deaf event is to learn sign language however I do agree it's a good place to practice and use it.

I don't know that the purpose of the deaf event is to learn sign language however I do agree it's a good place to practice and use it.

Have you ever gone to a deaf social?

Have you ever gone to a deaf social?
Not intentionally however I am planning on it now that they have moved the regular deaf socials closer to my home. But aren't deaf socials and deaf events two different things?

Not intentionally however I am planning on it now that they have moved the regular deaf socials closer to my home. But aren't deaf socials and deaf events two different things?

To me, not really..I go to both knowing that there will be many people using ASL and to meet new people or see my friends. Maybe to others, they are two different things.

Anyways, best of luck going to deaf socials! :)

It's more and more amibigious now with technology and such...

Deaf events can refer to going to a play... pre-screening a movie... coffee chat... happy hour... fishing trips... expos... conventions... LAN parties. Or just plain ol' "let meet at the old townhall for cookies" type social.

rockdrummer...

I suggest you attend a few blind events... and take a look at the sighted people. A lot of them mouth words... which is rude to the blind attendees. Speaking while a deaf person is present just as offensive.

You may say that signing is just as offensive to the hearing folks, but it is not-- they are aware that the hands are moving; they are aware people are speaking in other languages.

And the Deaf people are aware that the hearing people are speaking another language, spoken English.

And the Deaf people are aware that the hearing people are speaking another language, spoken English.

You never met a British immigrant. Have you?

I can't tell if they're actually talking or if they're being quiet without a hearing aid depending on the accent. :\ Some of the other dialects in other languages have the same thing too.

At least hearies know what language, what dialect, what accents are involved.

Last edited:

And that happens around us 90% of the time and we accept it but we go to a deaf event or social to meet people who know the same language as we do and if hearing people purposely go to deaf socials to improve ASL and meet deaf people, then what's the deal if they dont use it?

And that happens around us 90% of the time and we accept it but we go to a deaf event or social to meet people who know the same language as we do and if hearing people purposely go to deaf socials to improve ASL and meet deaf people, then what's the deal if they dont use it?

And I agree that all people at a Deaf event should use ASL, but I was just showing the clear double standard he was showing.

And I agree that all people at a Deaf event should use ASL, but I was just showing the clear double standard he was showing.

Who is "he"? I am lost.

If I go to a bar with my hubby which I do a lot, I dont complain that I dont understand what is being said around me and I work hard to make the best of it by ensuring that the conditions are right for good speechreading. However, when I am at a deaf social or event and I see some hearing people who had been signing with deaf people but then turn around to talk without signing to each other in front of everyone, I would feel like they were trying to hide something. Just a natural reaction because I know that they can understand what I say to my friends but I wont understand what they say to each other. If they want to voice, pls Sim-Com..it is better than nothing.

Who is "he"? I am lost.

If I go to a bar with my hubby which I do a lot, I dont complain that I dont understand what is being said around me and I work hard to make the best of it by ensuring that the conditions are right for good speechreading. However, when I am at a deaf social or event and I see some hearing people who had been signing with deaf people but then turn around to talk without signing to each other in front of everyone, I would feel like they were trying to hide something. Just a natural reaction because I know that they can understand what I say to my friends but I wont understand what they say to each other. If they want to voice, pls Sim-Com..it is better than nothing.

Referring to me.

Who is "he"? I am lost.

You must keep in mind that you can not just snap your finger and learn a language. There may be hearing people at deaf socials and deaf events that are still learning to sign and may have to fall back on spoken language at times. That doesn't mean they are hiding anything or making snide remarks about deaf people. I work in a very diverse office where there are many people from different cultures. Some of the people get into their groups and speak in their native language. I don't feel threatened by that nor do I have a natural reaction that they are trying to hide anything. They are using their natural native language and nobody should feel offended by that nor should they be deprived of that. That should apply to all cultures and all languages including deaf culture and ASL. IMHO.

:gpost: I agree. In fact, a previous teacher of mine required us all to go out to dinner wearing earplugs. It was our entire ASL class, plus our teacher, her hearing kids, and a friend of theirs. Signing only, absolutely no talking. You will have a better appreciation of ASL if you were to sign only.
My college hosts a "Silent Weekend" every quarter. It's a three-day voice-off camping trip. I've gone with my family several times, and we love it. The biggest thing my wife and I have learned is that we actually can communicate just fine without our voices. It's a nice confidence builder.

My position is that it should not be considered rude if at a deaf event hearing people use spoken language when there are no deaf people involved in the conversation. Just as it should not be considered rude if at a hearing event oral deaf use sign language when there are no hearing people involved in the conversation.
Your problem is that you apparently don't appreciate or respect the differences between hearing culture and Deaf culture. You seriously need to get over yourself and just accept that using your voice without signing at a Deaf social gathering is considered rude and disrespectful in that culture.

You must keep in mind that you can not just snap your finger and learn a language. There may be hearing people at deaf socials and deaf events that are still learning to sign and may have to fall back on spoken language at times. That doesn't mean they are hiding anything or making snide remarks about deaf people. I work in a very diverse office where there are many people from different cultures. Some of the people get into their groups and speak in their native language. I don't feel threatened by that nor do I have a natural reaction that they are trying to hide anything. They are using their natural native language and nobody should feel offended by that nor should they be deprived of that. That should apply to all cultures and all languages including deaf culture and ASL. IMHO.

if they really want to speak, they can always take it outside. The only exceptional I think is if they are asking how to sign something.

People like me who is HOH and don't know ASL, well there are meetings for them to like SHH But I highly doubt these meeting work very well because my older sister and I communication issues (we keep asking each other "huh?" "what?" etc. The conversation was not going anywhere). I do better around hearing people than I do with my sister, so I don't need to go to those meetings to socialize.

Deaf who use ASL in deaf events is going to consider it rude if you use your voice, and there's nothing you can change that. Pretty much majority of us have be scarred from spoken languages. So that's why it is so rude. In my opinion, It is like Native Americans event speaking in native languages to preserve the language (because it is dying), and group of people come in speaking in English like they don't care. And then tell them they have no rights to make them speak native language, they are going to do whatever they want to do. It's a selfish and inconsiderate thing to do . If you don't want to speak the language then don't go.

btw, voice off doesn't mean "no paper and pen" or SEE or PSE . It just means no voice.

Back