Asl researcher looking for helping hands :)

Belal Chaudhary

Reaction score
hello!

I’m a Biologist/Software Developer based in Berlin, and I need some input from the ASL community for a sign language project I’m working on: translating American Sign Language from video/images into text.

Essentially the project works by 'teaching' a computer to recognise words/letters from videos. It’s still at an early stage (it can recognise ASL finger spelling) but I need to collect video examples of common ASL words to make it perform better! I'm working with a few interpreters but it would be awesome to get the support/blessing of the ASL community who sign in every day life :)

I have included a list of words I need (100 in total) but even just 5-10 words would be super helpful, and the video can just be on a webcam or smartphone. The project will also hopefully be freely available online for anyone to play with, and practice/learn ASL

Please drop me a line if interested, and I would love to hear your thoughts/questions on anything related to the project!

e-mail: belalc80@gmail.com

Belal

Attachments

• word_list.txt
    685 bytes · Views: 0
I am learning PSE, which uses the same signs as ASL if you need just signs. I don't know the syntax and grammar for ASL. My Skype name is Duckie if you want some help from me. I have the same profile picture there as here.

I am learning PSE, which uses the same signs as ASL if you need just signs. I don't know the syntax and grammar for ASL. My Skype name is Duckie if you want some help from me. I have the same profile picture there as here.
hey @Duckie - thanks for the reply, I've added you on Skype (my ID is: belal-c). And yes I just need words for now, so the syntax/grammar doesn't matter too much!

actually - I just had a look on Skype, there were a few people with duck pictures but none the same as yours :/ perhaps we could message on FaceBook? My Skype ID is belal-c and my facebook profile is Belal Chaudhary. hope to speak soon

actually - I just had a look on Skype, there were a few people with duck pictures but none the same as yours :/ perhaps we could message on FaceBook? My Skype ID is belal-c and my facebook profile is Belal Chaudhary. hope to speak soon

Okay, thank you. I should be able to help a lot with signs. If I don't know one I could just look them up really quick for you, there are a few websites that are good to use. I've been learning off of Signing Savvy, Lifeprint, and Handspeak. I prefer Handspeak since it has a dictionary you can look words up on and video clips which are easier for me to understand and copy. Lifeprint in my opinion isn't as good as Handspeak. For Signing Savvy I think you need a membership but usually if I'm just looking up a word I don't know on Google, Signing Savvy works pretty well. Signing Savvy also uses short video clips to explain signs.

Back