Asl researcher looking for helping hands (for 15 mins!) iv

Belal Chaudhary

Reaction score
hello!

I’m a Biologist/Software Developer based in Berlin, and I need some input from the ASL community for a sign language project I’m working on: translating American Sign Language from video/images into text.

Essentially the project works by 'teaching' a computer to recognise words/letters from videos. It’s still at an early stage (it can recognise ASL finger spelling) but I need to collect video examples of common ASL words to make it perform better! I'm working with a few interpreters but it would be awesome to get the support/blessing of the ASL community who sign in every day life :)

I have included a list of words I need (100 in total) but even just 5-10 words would be super helpful, and the video can just be on a webcam or smartphone. The project will also hopefully be freely available online for anyone to play with, and practice/learn ASL

Please drop me a line if interested, and I would love to hear your thoughts/questions on anything related to the project! Happy to provide further details on the project and the requirements of the video too.

e-mail: belalc80@gmail.com

I've created a few threads on the forum looking for volunteers, as I wasn't quite sure where this post fit. I hope this isn't an issue, please drop me a line if this post should be somewhere else.

Belal

Stop with the multiple identical postings. You are likely to turn everyone off and get banned from the forum.

sure thing @AlleyCat , as I said above I thought this post might fit under a few threads and I wanted it to reach enough people. I can take down one or two of them though! (I posted 4 times in total)

I understand what you were trying to do. But this forum does have a rule of only one post. Just an FYI in case you wonder why your multiple posts get deleted. Not intending any ill-will here. :)

I understand what you were trying to do. But this forum does have a rule of only one post. Just an FYI in case you wonder why your multiple posts get deleted. Not intending any ill-will here. :)

no worries! I'm new on the forum, so I really appreciate any comments/guidance on how to interact :) thanks for pointing out the one-post rule, I didn't know about it. just need to figure out which one to keep hm... (also, using this opportunity to pivot the conversation lol - do you think you might be able to help out with the project all? happy to have a quick chat on WhatsApp/Skype messenger to explain more about it, if that works for you )

Psssttt @AlleyCat , just a friendly reminder that the AD "unspoken" two/five rule is still in effect. :)

Last edited:
Woodhv been a splendid idea if, you read the Forum Rules @ FrontDesk when you 1st became a member. Never too late.

thanks for pointing that out, just went through it. I didn't see any sort of 'Forum Rules' when I first signed up, would be good if that was on the home page!

Back