ASL fluent hearing guy

Ok guys lol my camera is in the shop right now but I promise as soon as it's out, I'll post that vid. How do post vids on here btw?

Hi there, I'm hearing and learning ASL as well xP Not very "fluent" yet, though. But at least I'm constantly improving xD

I'm actually looking for people to practice ASL with so that I can get better at it, so if you ever want to video chat or anything that would be great :)

Angle: The Deaf in me says congratulations on wanting to learn ASL.

I don't mean this to sound rude - just truthful with the hope you read this and are able to avoid saying the wrong thing around Hoh/Deaf in the future ;)

If you're Hearing, from a hearing family, and have just taken 2 years of ASL classes you aren't culturally Deaf (there's no "Deaf in you")... you're an ASL student, who likes and appreciates ASL and Deaf Culture.

I say this because making comments about yourself having an internal Deaf Identity, (even in passing, like in the quote above) to people who ARE culturally Deaf and fluent in ASL is setting yourself up to "rub" a lot of us Hoh/Deaf "the wrong way". It's also given Hearing people a completely inaccurate view of what "Deaf" means. (It's not a "Sign Language club" or something that Hearing people join/are invited into after a few years studying ASL/BSL/LSF etc)

To be Deaf, requires that one must also be hoh or deaf, as well as having pride in our language(s), cultural/social Norms, art, poetry, music, history, etc.

"Deaf" isn't something Hearing people can become, regardless of Sign Language fluency and a solid understanding of Deaf Social Norms etc.
The (most would say only) possible exception to that would be CODAs.

I have to say, I'm also very interested in seeing these videos ( do you have some on YouTube?) as I've never seen anyone (especially and adult) who's totally ASL fluent in 2 years, even in a 24/7 immersion setting. It's one thing to have a good handle on common vocabulary and be able to follow a casual conversation with friends, but to be fluent means having an extensive understanding of vocabulary, how to subtly modify signs in various situations to convey specific meaning, use correct ASL grammar, and understand/be comfortable with the idioms, semantics and "sign/word play" which is the true mark of ASL Fluency. Even in an ASL immersion setting 24/7/365, surrounded by DODA, CODA, and other fluent Deaf ASLers it would take hearing teens&adults between 3 &5 years to become "truly fluent".

Again, I don't mean to be rude of overly critical. If you're truly interested in becoming involved in the Deaf community as a Hearing Person, then it's important that you understand the Social & Cultural Norms for hearing people within the Deaf Community. These Social and Cultural Norms aren't exclusionary, but are very important... espeically when it comes to introductions, and not trying to (intentionally, or by creative omission etc) "fake" being something you're not.

Last edited:
There is also a big difference in receptive skills and expressive skills. You may be able to talk up a storm, but taking in information might be really challenging.

I thought I was pretty good at ASL until I went to Gallaudet U. Boy did I struggle the first year there. It look a lot longer for my receptive skills to catch up with my expressive skills. Now that I am no longer in a Deaf environment, I know my ASL as suffered.

I offer my sincerest apologies. My ASL teacher was very careful and thorough when teaching us about Deaf culture and the do's and dont's for Hearing. I understand that Hearing people are never really 'in' Deaf culture but may participate in it when allowed. Please excuse my phrasing of 'the Deaf in me.' I should have rephrased to maybe: 'with my knowledge of how a Deaf individual might react, I congratulate you, but since I am Hearing, I empathize with how difficult this must be for you.'

Also, when I say I am 'fluent,' I mean that I am able to communicate in several different environments andmediums, using ASL, PSE, and some SEE. My ASL teacher has gone to great lengths to make sure that we understand and are able to function in a variety of situations. We have studied ASL vocabulary as well as how to form thoughts and have conversations that are not dependent on vocabulary, but rather convey the idea of what you are trying to communicate. Also, we have studied the artistic aspect of ASL, my particular favorite, we compete in ASLHS's annual ASL poetry contest, and we are required to sign four songs each semester in class. We are encouraged to break off from the vocabulary and manipulate the signs to convey the artistic idea behind the song, to convey the song's true meaning. We have taken time to study the history of Deaf culture and ASL, studying such subjects as the Milan Conference, as well as the evolution of Deaf education and how bias and ignorance are still prevalent today. My school's ASLHS group, of which I am vice president, often takes trips to Kansas School for the Deaf in Kansas City where we observe and participate in several school activities there. Also, my teacher has made sure to drill us on both receptive and expressive Sign, making our tests composed of both of these skills. So, perhaps I am not 'fluent' and if I mislead anyone, I apologize. I can however, carry one lengthy and intricate conversations with different types of signers in several different environments. I also have an understanding of the artistic and cultural side of ASL.

As to your question about my videos, I do have a youtube channel but I dont have anything ASL related uploaded there right now. I am working on several ASL music videos at the moment which I hope to upload soon and will let you know when I do.

Again, I apologize for my careless error, as well as if I misrepresented myself. That was not my intent and I certainly never meant to offend those members of a culture for which I have enormous respect.

I offer my sincerest apologies. My ASL teacher was very careful and thorough when teaching us about Deaf culture and the do's and dont's for Hearing. I understand that Hearing people are never really 'in' Deaf culture but may participate in it when allowed. Please excuse my phrasing of 'the Deaf in me.' I should have rephrased to maybe: 'with my knowledge of how a Deaf individual might react, I congratulate you, but since I am Hearing, I empathize with how difficult this must be for you.'

Also, when I say I am 'fluent,' I mean that I am able to communicate in several different environments andmediums, using ASL, PSE, and some SEE. My ASL teacher has gone to great lengths to make sure that we understand and are able to function in a variety of situations. We have studied ASL vocabulary as well as how to form thoughts and have conversations that are not dependent on vocabulary, but rather convey the idea of what you are trying to communicate. Also, we have studied the artistic aspect of ASL, my particular favorite, we compete in ASLHS's annual ASL poetry contest, and we are required to sign four songs each semester in class. We are encouraged to break off from the vocabulary and manipulate the signs to convey the artistic idea behind the song, to convey the song's true meaning. We have taken time to study the history of Deaf culture and ASL, studying such subjects as the Milan Conference, as well as the evolution of Deaf education and how bias and ignorance are still prevalent today. My school's ASLHS group, of which I am vice president, often takes trips to Kansas School for the Deaf in Kansas City where we observe and participate in several school activities there. Also, my teacher has made sure to drill us on both receptive and expressive Sign, making our tests composed of both of these skills. So, perhaps I am not 'fluent' and if I mislead anyone, I apologize. I can however, carry one lengthy and intricate conversations with different types of signers in several different environments. I also have an understanding of the artistic and cultural side of ASL.

As to your question about my videos, I do have a youtube channel but I dont have anything ASL related uploaded there right now. I am working on several ASL music videos at the moment which I hope to upload soon and will let you know when I do.

Again, I apologize for my careless error, as well as if I misrepresented myself. That was not my intent and I certainly never meant to offend those members of a culture for which I have enormous respect.

That was a great reply. I want to empathize one thing: we weren't upset... Everything on this site sparks a discussion!! :grouphug:

Back