ASL CLUBS AND CLASSES

Yadriel

Reaction score
So my school used to have a sign class this was at least 6 years ago. They got rid of it because not many people would select it as an elective.

Now, we have 5 hoh kids (that I know of) and a few kids who don't speak well or struggle to talk. We also have several students who have hoh or deaf siblings, parents or relatives.

Some (5 that I know of including myself) students know ASL or at the very least can carry a basic conversation. I was wondering, if I could get students who are genuinely interested for whatever reason to sign something and take it to an administrator could it be possible that they could make it a class again or at the least make a club for Sign? Of course the year is over with only this week and next of school left, but next year is what I'm referring to.

Do you think it's possible? I know of at least 7 people who are interested and obviously that isn't much but I tend to keep to myself in school so there may be others interested as well. What do y'all think?

I think you'll have better luck getting a club going because that only requires a faculty advisor. Getting a class is going to require some forethought and planning. The school board will have to approve a new teacher and salary. That takes time. I'd go for the club first. Get that established and show interest, then go after the class.

Agree with Lysander.. start with a Club. You can have that up and running faster... then perhaps the school will take notice and add on a class (it may be after you graduate too... so getting the ball rolling with a club would be the better path).

Go for it! :)

Ask for both. They do have time to set up a class, although as others say, Nothing may happen until more interest is demonstrated by a club.

Back