Asl Class And Material Opinions

TJSieling

Reaction score
I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this book, so I'd like to send this out to you guys.

I am looking into an ASL class and their base material is integral to this book, "A Basic Course in American Sign Language." I noticed the publishing date was back in 1994. Is this a commonly used book? I would believe so, as it's the one I'll need when I go to the class, which is close to the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf. I'm just not sure what to expect from this, as from what I've read on the forum, the language has a way of evolving, signs change, signs disappear, and new signs are created.

Seeing as this is going to be the first time I actually put "real" effort into learning, I just want to make sure I'm not looking at material that isn't considered up to date.

You don't have to disclose where exactly you live, but do you live that close to MSAD? Or are you closer to St. Paul? St. Paul Tech College has a wonderful ASL curriculum. They offer ASL 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, among a few others (and that's not even touching the interpreter program they also have.)

I would suggest a 1994 book is a little outdated. The curriculum most schools are using nowadays is called "Signing Naturally." (And that is what St. Paul Tech uses.) It comes with DVDs, etc. In fact, you could even buy the books since they have the DVDs and see how you like those before you make a decision on what classes/school to pick from. Just food for thought ....

For security reasons, that's why I put a ballpark area in there, I don't live nearby per say, but close enough that I could drive there after work. I am actually deathly terrified of driving in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. I don't like driving in crowds mixed with one way streets, so I avoid it so I don't cause problems.

I'll give that book a look, since it's a lot newer. What kinda shocks me is the book/DVDs for "Signing Naturally" is cheaper thank the other one?? I jumped at the opportunity near MSAD simply because it was so close to the academy and offered classes for the hearing. Thank you AlleyCat!

For security reasons, that's why I put a ballpark area in there, I don't live nearby per say, but close enough that I could drive there after work. I am actually deathly terrified of driving in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. I don't like driving in crowds mixed with one way streets, so I avoid it so I don't cause problems.

I'll give that book a look, since it's a lot newer. What kinda shocks me is the book/DVDs for "Signing Naturally" is cheaper thank the other one?? I jumped at the opportunity near MSAD simply because it was so close to the academy and offered classes for the hearing. Thank you AlleyCat!
Do you live near any of the light rail in the MSP area? Just curious if that would be an option for going to St Paul Tech. I'm not from that area, but have train friends there which is why I'm aware there is light rail.

TJ, that's an old book. I had it in my first sign language class in college in the mid-90's - course taught by a hearing man<not good>, not an actual ASL course. There are others that way better. I also like the Signing Naturally ones, and Humphries and Padden's "Learning American Sign Language" was the book used in more recent classes I took, which actually WERE ASL classes and were taught by Deaf.

Do you live near any of the light rail in the MSP area? Just curious if that would be an option for going to St Paul Tech. I'm not from that area, but have train friends there which is why I'm aware there is light rail.

There is light rail all around the MSP area, but none that are super close to SPTC. She/He would probably still have to take a bus or something after getting off the light rail. I think it's too long of a walk.

I would have about an hour drive to get near St. Paul, not including driving and navigating the city. Reading the few responses, it seems that my better option would be to look at Signing Naturally and Learning American Sign Language and using those solo instead of any nearby classes. For practice, I can just skype with my sister (when she's not at the white house, performing with her band, or doing brain surgery, little overachiever haha!) as she knows a good amount, but I'll probably just try going to an event and making a friend or two there.

I really appreciate the help everyone! And I'm a male, by the way. :)

I would have about an hour drive to get near St. Paul, not including driving and navigating the city. Reading the few responses, it seems that my better option would be to look at Signing Naturally and Learning American Sign Language and using those solo instead of any nearby classes. For practice, I can just skype with my sister (when she's not at the white house, performing with her band, or doing brain surgery, little overachiever haha!) as she knows a good amount, but I'll probably just try going to an event and making a friend or two there.

I really appreciate the help everyone! And I'm a male, by the way. :)

When you have a comfort level of signing, go visit the deaf club. It's called Thompson Hall. It is just south of downtown St. Paul. They're only open on weekend evenings, so you wouldn't have much traffic to fight, most likely.

http://www.thdeafclub.com/

This is just my personal opinions as other may have different experiences...

There are several things that make a good ASL class:

• An experienced Deaf instructor with native-level skills
  • Voice off in the classroom
  • An ASL Curriculum that actually encourages learning ASL and Deaf Culture and not just translating English into signs: visual learning, learning by interacting and videos not just static books and dictionaries, encouraging interacting with deaf/Deaf people outside of the classroom, and acknowledging the broad spectrum of deaf/Deaf/HH people.

I think Signing Naturally is the best curriculum. I find students that learn using this program acquire better ASL skills rather than signed English and build the quickest receptive and expressive skills to start having a conversation much earlier than those using other materials. Of course like any language study you only get what you put into it both in the classroom and your outside social interaction. Also, you need to use or lose it - again no different than any other language.

Disclaimer: Ken Mikos - one of the authors of Signing Naturally was my instructor and friend so I do have some bias. My observations after signing for over 20 years and interacting with a lot of students is that as the title says this does give the most natural approach.

I did Steps 1-6 of Signing Naturally through community classes at our local deaf school several years ago. As said above, you get out of it what you put into it AND use it or lose it. I didn't put as much into it as I should have and have retained very little...but, should I find myself losing more hearing, I will at least have some of it still in memory, I hope, so that when I take classes again, I'll pick up on it faster.

I agree with zephren's points.

As a student, I've used both Signing Naturally and ABC. ABC was OK but Signing Naturally is better. However, if it comes down to ABC or no class at all, then ABC will do, as long as the instructor is on top of things. If you have that experienced Deaf instructor with native-level skills who keeps up with what's current in the language and culture, you should do well. That kind of instructor will modify the curriculum to make up for any deficiencies.

Because of realistic time constraints in the classroom, if you really want to know about Deaf culture and history you'll have to do additional outside reading.

No matter what the curriculum, you'll only get out of it whatever you put into it. That is, it's up to the student to put in the time and effort, and to have the right attitude and perspective. Too many students get stuck because they want to compare ASL and English, and it becomes a struggle. Free up your mind and go visual and spatial--pretend you never knew spoken English.

Interact with the local Deaf community as much as you can but keep it friendly. Don't use Deaf people as unpaid tutors or guinea pigs. If someone is willing to tutor you one-on-one make sure you reciprocate in some way.

I agree with zephren's points.

As a student, I've used both Signing Naturally and ABC. ABC was OK but Signing Naturally is better. However, if it comes down to ABC or no class at all, then ABC will do, as long as the instructor is on top of things. If you have that experienced Deaf instructor with native-level skills who keeps up with what's current in the language and culture, you should do well. That kind of instructor will modify the curriculum to make up for any deficiencies.

I'm not sure if the instructor is deaf or not, but I'm not sure what to think about that specific class now that I know there's better material that can be used and they aren't using it.

Because of realistic time constraints in the classroom, if you really want to know about Deaf culture and history you'll have to do additional outside reading.

Definitely! That's why I'm planning on going to a few events and meeting people. I'm going to take a look into AlleyCat's suggestion for sure.

No matter what the curriculum, you'll only get out of it whatever you put into it. That is, it's up to the student to put in the time and effort, and to have the right attitude and perspective. Too many students get stuck because they want to compare ASL and English, and it becomes a struggle. Free up your mind and go visual and spatial--pretend you never knew spoken English.

Interact with the local Deaf community as much as you can but keep it friendly. Don't use Deaf people as unpaid tutors or guinea pigs. If someone is willing to tutor you one-on-one make sure you reciprocate in some way.

I understand the "use it or lose it" pretty well. I actually had to do that with typing. It's uncanny how often that phrase can get used. I would definitely reciprocate if I had someone helping me, and I'd make it clear that it would be a learning experience. I wouldn't want to simply use someone. That comparative between ASL and English always seems to be the struggle. That's why I like the way Rosetta Stone worked when I was trying to learn Spanish. You don't get any English, they throw you in Spanish all the way.

I'm not sure if the instructor is deaf or not, but I'm not sure what to think about that specific class now that I know there's better material that can be used and they aren't using it.

Definitely! That's why I'm planning on going to a few events and meeting people. I'm going to take a look into AlleyCat's suggestion for sure.

I understand the "use it or lose it" pretty well. I actually had to do that with typing. It's uncanny how often that phrase can get used. I would definitely reciprocate if I had someone helping me, and I'd make it clear that it would be a learning experience. I wouldn't want to simply use someone. That comparative between ASL and English always seems to be the struggle. That's why I like the way Rosetta Stone worked when I was trying to learn Spanish. You don't get any English, they throw you in Spanish all the way.
Immersion. That's why taking a course voice off with a
Deaf instructor is the best way. You can't learn properly on your own.

I strongly agree with Botti. The classes I had with Deaf teachers were the best!

I strongly agree with Botti. The classes I had with Deaf teachers were the best!

I can see how that would be. But I have a question for all of you that are pushing for taking classes with a Deaf instruction — isn't one with a hearing instructor better than no class at all?

I can see how that would be. But I have a question for all of you that are pushing for taking classes with a Deaf instruction — isn't one with a hearing instructor better than no class at all?
Some CODAs make excellent instructors also.

For me, when I think of "Deaf instructor" I tend to include CODA's though I know - there are variations as if they're considered "Deaf" or not, and not all CODA sign fluently or would be good as ASL teachers - but I think of how their first language is ASL by default.

Also, for me personally reflecting on Jane's question - I would really hesitate to take a class not taught by Deaf people, regardless of if there was a hearing teacher - one, because part of valuing and supporting ASL is valuing Deaf teachers and if a hearing teacher is teaching, that's an opportunity that the Deaf teacher doesn't have, to pass on their own culture and language. If I value Deaf experience and knowledge<Deaf Gain>, than I want to support Deaf teachers, not hearing teachers.

and I think from a practical standpoint Deaf teachers can teach things that no hearing can. so for me its better to not take it by a hearing teacher....

For me, when I think of "Deaf instructor" I tend to include CODA's though I know - there are variations as if they're considered "Deaf" or not, and not all CODA sign fluently or would be good as ASL teachers - but I think of how their first language is ASL by default.

Also, for me personally reflecting on Jane's question - I would really hesitate to take a class not taught by Deaf people, regardless of if there was a hearing teacher - one, because part of valuing and supporting ASL is valuing Deaf teachers and if a hearing teacher is teaching, that's an opportunity that the Deaf teacher doesn't have, to pass on their own culture and language. If I value Deaf experience and knowledge<Deaf Gain>, than I want to support Deaf teachers, not hearing teachers.

and I think from a practical standpoint Deaf teachers can teach things that no hearing can. so for me its better to not take it by a hearing teacher....

You seem to be forgetting that some of us are in a place where taking a course taught by a hearing instructor is the ONLY choice. That is the ONLY course around!

You seem to be forgetting that some of us are in a place where taking a course taught by a hearing instructor is the ONLY choice. That is the ONLY course around!
But if the hearing instructor is a poor ASL instructor, such as not teaching voice off, etc, then that's more harm than good.

Would you want to learn to drive a car from someone who teaches that it's ok to run red lights, tailgate, etc? And then find yourself getting tickets or into accidents because that's what your instructor taught you?

Back