• Heck YA!

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • lame...

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

AAskiAA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a sales guy at a motion capture studio and have always wondered if it was possible to create an ASL cartoon using MoCap? I brought the idea up a few different times and no one seemed be interested.

However, today I was talking with our studio manager and he freaked out over the idea and wants to explore the possibility of it.

Before I really push to get the ball rolling, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Personally, I think it is a great idea to create an ASL cartoon. It will give the chance for other children to be able to participate and to learn the in depth of ASL, itself. It also will give other deaf children a chance to be able to relate to the cartoon.

I am quite curious - What prompted you to come up with this idea? Are there any interest to you that made you want to do this or what?

Of course, and my granddaughter signs to me, so she would see other people besides just her grandparents use sign.

I originally came up with the idea last year when I was taking ASL at the University of Colorado and had a job lined up to work for a MoCap studio. We produce video games, cartoons, commercials, TV shows, Movies, etc. Since then I realized it is not only possible, but relatively easy to do. The only problem has been that we are a service provider and do not developed our own IP’s. (aka, no one was interested in my idea) Recently we have had some down time and the ability to branch out a bit. I thought it would be a good time to test it out. And when I pitched it, everyone thought it was a cool idea.
To give you an idea of what I’m thinking… Right now we put small markers on an actor’s face to capture their expressions like they did in Polar Express, Bewowulf, Happy Feet, Monster House, etc. If we can capture the subtleties of facial movement, hands should be easy…
Basically, if I can prove that it works (which it does) and that there is a market, I can go forward with a “proof of concept”. One of the big questions is if it has ever been done before. And so far I haven’t been able to find anything. Has anyone ever seen a ASL cartoon?

Of course! I wish to watch ASL Cartoon on tv. I know the deaf cartoon at http://www.sextoon.com/. Her name is Sugar. It's naughty and dirty mind! LoL

ASL cartoon is good for kids to watch on TV.

Once saw smurfs episode where there was a deaf smurf (?) - and the smurfs used sign language. I could understand what was being said. It'd be great to have ASL cartoon as long as it's done well and the storyline solid :)

Are there any stories/fairy tales that are specifically popular in the deaf community? I remember when I was in ASL we watched a story about a family of eagles. I don’t know if that was a well known story or if it was more of a learning tool.

Once saw smurfs episode where there was a deaf smurf (?) - and the smurfs used sign language. I could understand what was being said. It'd be great to have ASL cartoon as long as it's done well and the storyline solid :)

Where did you see it? I want to see the deaf smurf with sign language. I never see it before. Smurf was my favorite show.

Actual, it's little elf that use only communicate on sign language. Not label as deaf at all that show to Smurfs. Really neat. It was air in 1983, the episode called "Smurfing In Sign Language".

Last time I seen on AOL video. Unfortunately, it pull out. If anyone luck to find anywhere. Otherwise, buy that video then. ha.

Actual, it's little elf that use only communicate on sign language. Not label as deaf at all that show to Smurfs. Really neat. It was air in 1983, the episode called "Smurfing In Sign Language".

Last time I seen on AOL video. Unfortunately, it pull out. If anyone luck to find anywhere. Otherwise, buy that video then. ha.

I would also like to mention that "Smurfing In Sign Language" is Smurfs' highest rating ever.

I just finished my intro post, and included how that was my first encounter with sign language. I did find it, although it's too slow to watch as it streams, but if you start it, pause it and wait forever that little bar will fill up eventually. Here is the search I used. I'm trying to load both versions and see which one gets done first. The tudou one doesn't seem very Firefox friendly. Neither is CC.

Are they signing ASL in the video?

It looks like it. I didn't recognize all the signs, but I'm just a beginner at ASL, but there were a lot that were ASL, like BUTTERFLY, BIRD, CAT, SPRING, BEGIN. I'm working on making a transcript for it since it isn't CC, in case any of the deaf want to watch it. I'll post it up later tonight when I finish it, maybe a different thread.

ETA: I finished and put it in a new thread with the transcript: http://www.alldeaf.com/movies-books-tv-media/68346-smurfing-sign-language.html

Last edited:
There's also a scene from the
in ASL. And a cartoon with two
in ASL. If anyone is interested.

I found this site in my search for ASL cartoons. I am trying to learn ASL and the news is too much for me. (The hands are moving too fast)

Love the idea. Parents might go nuts over it. If you have eclectic humor, you might be able to draw a fan base of grownups too!

Back