As a child

bbnt

King of all I see
Premium Member
Reaction score
How well did you communcate with your family.
For those with deaf parents i'm sure you
communicated pretty well.

Was it difficult? Did your parents make an extra
effort to listen to you? Did yur family keep you
involved in ongoing conversations?

Both my parents learned SEE. That's what I did since I was deaf.

They did keep me encouraged to have a converstation with anyone. :D

Yes, I believe that my mother did a lot of efforts. :)

my mom knows more signs than my dad does. but since growing up, i speak, and signs, depend on how they and I talk. most of times we don't talk a lot though. just when we need to know something or whatever.

I am just lucky. I am deaf in my family. Only one. So, My mom determined to learn the ASL, with someone that I knew her. So, She taught her alot.. and being a intereper. wow. amazing. so, Ever since from that, My mom signs alot more than my dad. My Dad can signs really good, but not REALLY GOOD as my mom. Also, My Brother can signs very well.

One thing I am just hopefully that they wont forget how to signs when I am at gallaudet and comes here to visit them. dammit.

Yep my mother was really strict about my oral speech so it took many years to clear my speech up before now

mom and older sister signs and my dad mostly used homesigns and knew enough signs to be able to get answers when he asked questions

I'm the only deaf person in my family, and my family don't sign so we communicate orally. Sometimes id be included in their conversations in family holiday dinners or whenever my relatives comes by and have dinner with us, but most of the time they'd forget. My aunt knew only fingerspelling so sometimes whenever we talk she'll use fingerspelling for words I didn't understand what she had said.

It's kinda hard for me to say yes or no both ways, because I've been away to residence deaf school for about 12 years. I came home for the big holidays and summers. I lived with my older brother and Dad. Just three of us when I was growing up. Dad did keep me involved in most conversations, but usually did not keep up on the ongoing conversations. We spoke with voice and gestures (not sign language yet) when I was young. My brother and I didn't really talk to each other. We ARGUED! :lol:

Usually, when I was growing up, I depended on gestures and lip-reading until I got into High School, I learned sign language, but still use voice to communicate with my Dad and stepmom.

As I got older, the better I speak so now it's all oral method between me and my parents.

Originally posted by bbnt
How well did you communcate with your family.
For those with deaf parents i'm sure you
communicated pretty well.

Was it difficult? Did your parents make an extra
effort to listen to you? Did yur family keep you
involved in ongoing conversations?

Blah!! I just got depressed from thinking about that!

:shaking fists in air and yells like Spongebob Squarepants:
"DaAaAamn yOoOoUuUuUu, bbn-TeEeEe!"

Re: Re: As a child

Originally posted by Deaf258
Blah!! I just got depressed from thinking about that!

:shaking fists in air and yells like Spongebob Squarepants:
"DaAaAamn yOoOoUuUuUu, bbn-TeEeEe!"

Sorry, I know this can be a sensitive issue for some of you but this is information I can use. I sit a parent pannels sometimes and I also have to work to stay on the rest of the family to make sure they aren't leaving Brittany out of conversations.

My parents were very strict, always make sure my speeches in order. and Sign little till around 8 years old, they learned signs, we signed alot but not ASL .. PSE =)
Later, both my parents have problems. Always not tell me what's going on, so my baby brother took over, always tell me whats going on or news. Ever since he still doing at it.. Now he and his wife have 8 months old (they are hearing). they both use signs and teach their son signs which my brother believe that signs with baby is the best tool for communications. For exmaple.. signs *milk*, *no*, *daddy*, *water*, *mommy*, *sleep*.. so they know what their son is trying to say.. and they wanted their son know signs so can communicate with his aunt. (me) :applause: I think its cool and really impressive me.. (sniffs) hehe

As a child, I never really had problems with that kind of stuff, until when I started going to middle school. That was when I started wanting to know what everyone had to say. At home, I speak with my voice to my family, and they sign back to me. Sometimes, if they do not understand what I said, I sign to them. I think, the family dog understands me the best of all! he he he My sister was the one who taught me so much about life, like music, style, fashion, slangs, etc... I sometimes did things with her and her friends.

Right now, if we have a family gathering, I am usually in my room anyway ignoring the whole thing. I get tired of not knowing what is going on, and when they leave or whatever, I ask my parents for their news, what was said, etc... That usually works better that way.

Sometimes, my family let me invite my friends who know SL, so that I could have someone to talk with, while everyone is bla bla bla. That really works well.

=/.... I am only deaf in the family. My mom signs better than anyone else in my family. Others mostly do fingerspelling or homesigns. Well, DEPEND on which day it is, I sometimes being leftout. Dont know what they saying or whats going on. I'm more likely last person in family to know whats going on :ugh:. But, mostly of time I caught their lip readers =P.... But at this moment, my mom and I are starting open relationship between us that we never get along when I was teenage till last yr when she knew that I am lesbain, and after that I changed and being myself and things changed between me and my mom :P.

I have met many deaf people with hearing parents and i have seen that some parents go out and learn how to sign and try their best to communicate with their kids, while others seem like they don't care to be involved that much. I just feel that if your child is deaf, learn how to sign with your child.

Originally posted by kuifje75

Right now, if we have a family gathering, I am usually in my room anyway ignoring the whole thing. I get tired of not knowing what is going on, and when they leave or whatever, I ask my parents for their news, what was said, etc... That usually works better that way.

Sometimes, my family let me invite my friends who know SL, so that I could have someone to talk with, while everyone is bla bla bla. That really works well.

Kuifje -- ur comment here sounds MUCH like me when i was growing up -- now a days i also tend to ignore family gatherings and etc cuz i knew i would just be left out so i saw no point in keep trying when i have done that myself for years til last summer 2002 there the family's LAST family reunion was being held same week as a deaf get together and i OFC chose to go to the deaf gathering than attend the family reunion :lol: mom was :shock: said i should be with family and i flatly said no im not going period -- later found out from mom that other family members asked her where i was :laugh2: and she told them what exactly i told her they all :shock: -- but i DID go to my cousin's wedding in St Louis, MO last month and saw the rest of the family members -- it was pretty funny cuz they MADE the effort after my noticable absence from the family reunion last summer -- so looked like my absence along with mom's explaination has made my statement on how i felt CRYSTAL clear

I have avoided some family gatherings on purpose and bluntly told my parents "Because I will be left out as usual." This always make them :shock: but had to accept my reply. I sometimes celebrate "deaf thanksgiving" with my deaf friends, so that it is much more fun than family thanksgiving. Sometimes I do go to gatherings out of obligation, like my Aunt Stella's 85th birthday/ family reunion party. Don't want her to think that I hate her or something, ha ha ha.

my parents are deaf so I was born to sign by them and my daughter is hearing i use my voice she hears but grow watching us, mother and father, signs she now knows signs pretty good than speak it is her first sign language.

my parents are deaf, divorced, but i never had a problem. But, the family beyond my parents are all hearing, so I know how some people here feel- I feel left out during fmaily events, where people gather and catch up on their own news- but usually they dont really try to communicate with my mom (at least on my moms side-- dad's side is already dying off) so at a point my mom stopped going to the family reunion. She doesnt blame them since the only time they see her is during christmas, they dont know how to interact with my mom, let alone with me.

Originally posted by kuifje75
I have avoided some family gatherings on purpose and bluntly told my parents "Because I will be left out as usual." This always make them :shock: but had to accept my reply. I sometimes celebrate "deaf thanksgiving" with my deaf friends, so that it is much more fun than family thanksgiving. Sometimes I do go to gatherings out of obligation, like my Aunt Stella's 85th birthday/ family reunion party. Don't want her to think that I hate her or something, ha ha ha.

:werd: right on Kuifje *smh* ive told mom the VERY same thing being blunt telling her i would be left out as always so i didnt really see a point in going -- but yes SOME haveta go to out of obligation oh well

Originally posted by Fly Free
:werd: right on Kuifje *smh* ive told mom the VERY same thing being blunt telling her i would be left out as always so i didnt really see a point in going -- but yes SOME haveta go to out of obligation oh well

Yeah, I always been left out and I don't see the point of going for family gathering or whatever...I rather not to go. Last summer of 2002, there was family reunion, my dad wanted me to go but I :thumbd:, told him that I ain't coming. Im just sick of being left out all the time, tap their shoulders ask them what they all are talking about and all... :roll: so fuck it... :ugh:

Back