Article : vocabulary growth in toddlers

OK, I think its about time that the National League adopted the DH, don't you?

As a DH, methinks you'd be batting a stellar 128, Rick.

As a DH, methinks you'd be batting a stellar 128, Rick.

Actually you meant .128 as it is statistically impossible to have a batting average over 1. Is that really the best you can do?

Oh yes please...... That would be a first !!

But start a topic with it, because that would be great !

Here's the text again... please put it in signlanguage.. looking forward to that.

Then you will agree that when a parent makes the decision to place a child in an sign environment, and then encounters difficulties based on that decision, they are the ones responsible. And passing the decision to the child is not a deflection or a refusal to accept consequences. It is a moral and ethical statement regarding the nature of the individual and the nature of deafness.

Thanks for sharing that idea !

Like I said, cloggy, I have already confirmed that fact. Please go back and read it slowly. Perhaps you will understand.

Actually you meant .128 as it is statistically impossible to have a batting average over 1. Is that really the best you can do?

Shame you don't have a good a grasp on the statistics conderning deaf children and educational methodology as you do on batting averages. There's a useful skill for you!

Typo-nitpicking aside, Rick, and by way of making amends to you, I'd be the first to nominate you for the MVP award for at least doubling your DH stat if you'd indroduce sign to go along with the oral approach for yourself and your daughter. You will be happy you did because on the other end of that journey will be a closeness with your daughter that passeth all understanding.

Typo-nitpicking aside, Rick, and by way of making amends to you, I'd be the first to nominate you for the MVP award for at least doubling your DH stat if you'd indroduce sign to go along with the oral approach for yourself and your daughter. You will be happy you did because on the other end of that journey will be a closeness with your daughter that passeth all understanding.

Tousi,

To further make amends, I have already stated in other threads that I had suggested to my daughter that she take ASL courses in college in order to satisfy a requirement for her degree and she thought it was a good idea and also she felt it would enable her to better communicate with deaf people she knows who do not have her oral skills.

Does that at least get me some MVP votes?
Rick

Shame you don't have a good a grasp on the statistics conderning deaf children and educational methodology as you do on batting averages. There's a useful skill for you!

Sometimes even the best managers follow their instincts and not the stats, so I guess unlike you, we followed our instincts and our daughter's needs and preferences and instead of playing it safe like you did, knocked the ball out of the park!

See we treated our child as a unique individual, not a statistic.

Tousi,

I have already stated in other threads that I had suggested to my daughter that she take ASL courses in college in order to satisfy a requirement for her degree and she thought it was a good idea and also she felt it would enable her to better communicate with deaf people she knows who do not have her oral skills.

Does that at least get me some MVP votes?
Rick

To fultill a college requirement. The only reason you could come up with. She had to remind you of the improved communication that results. And, did you by any chance consider learning ASL as well, to follow her into that world of improved communication?

To fultill a college requirement. The only reason you could come up with. She had to remind you of the improved communication that results. And, did you by any chance consider learning ASL as well, to follow her into that world of improved communication?

Gee, I don't think she would have appreciated me showing up in her class, might cramp her style. I already had my seven years of college.

She wasn't taking the course to improve her communication with us but with those whose oral skills are not at her level.

Why don't you actually try to read and comprehend before you respond? Well, read at least, comprehension is wishful thinking.

Sometimes even the best managers follow their instincts and not the stats, so I guess unlike you, we followed our instincts and our daughter's needs and preferences and instead of playing it safe like you did, knocked the ball out of the park!

Oh, I see now./ That's how you dealt with yur child's deafness. You "managed" it. That tells a lot.

Exactly what "safe" way did I take, rick? Would you care to elaborate and explain the question?

Oh, and good one there. Comparing your daughter to a baseball. You're very eloquent, aren't you?

Nope..U played it safe by raising your daughter orally just like most hearing parents of deaf children. Jillo didn't play it safe cuz she got involved with the Deaf comunity not knowing much about it and most hearing parents don't make that step. They play it safe and try to keep their children like them as much as they can instead of doing the opposite. I think that's very brave of her to do that and it sure doesn't sound playing safe to me. If I was a hearing parent who had no knowledge of deafness nor the Deaf community, I probably would play it safe like u Rick. It is human nature.

By saying that Jillo played it safe must mean that exposing her son to both ASL and spoken language is not as good as exposing your daughter to spoken language only? I don't see how deaf people with excellent oral skills are better than those who don't have any. If that was your meaning then u got balls to say something like that and no, I don't mean softballs to hit with for homeruns.

Nope..U played it safe by raising your daughter orally just like most hearing parents of deaf children. Jillo didn't play it safe cuz she got involved with the Deaf comunity not knowing much about it and most hearing parents don't make that step. They play it safe and try to keep their children like them as much as they can instead of doing the opposite. I think that's very brave of her to do that and it sure doesn't sound playing safe to me. If I was a hearing parent who had no knowledge of deafness nor the Deaf community, I probably would play it safe like u Rick. It is human nature.

By saying that Jillo played it safe must mean that exposing her son to both ASL and spoken language is not as good as exposing your daughter to spoken language only? I don't see how deaf people with excellent oral skills are better than those who don't have any. If that was your meaning then u got balls to say something like that and no, I don't mean softballs to hit with for homeruns.

:ty:

Gee, I don't think she would have appreciated me showing up in her class, might cramp her style. I already had my seven years of college.

Lousy excuse. You could have attended any number of classes over the past 20 years.

She wasn't taking the course to improve her communication with us but with those whose oral skills are not at her level.

Exactly. To improve communication with her peers. She obviously is gravitating toward the deaf community.

Why don't you actually try to read and comprehend before you respond? Well, read at least, comprehension is wishful thinking.

I read and comprehend very well rick. I'm even able to see underneath the written meaning of your words. It okay for her to use sign to communicate with her friends, but I'll be damned if I am going to bother to learn it. She can communicate with me my way.

That's funny as the starting 5 on my younger daughter's PAL basketball team consisted of her, two girls of single moms from Peru and Mexico, the daughter of a CEO of a major corporation and the daughter of an NFL quarterback.

Just your typical whitebread suburban team, but you know it all, of course.

It is apparent that socioeconomic and celibrity status is more important to u than meeting people from all over the world.

Iam so starstruck...daughter of a NFL star..wow! Iam a neice of a retired major league professional baseball player who played in the World Series. Whoopie do, huh?

Yea, choosing a cochlear implant for your child in 1989 was definitely the safe option. There were just so many of us that my daughter was actually the youngest implantee in the nation for several months. Oh, we knew about deafness as we made it our top priority once our daughter became diagnosed and we knew about the Deaf community as well because they were the people calling us Nazis and child abusers and a 2 year girl Frankenstein and a robot.

So please spare me the condescending lecture about playing it safe, we made reasoned and well informed decisions and you would know that to be true but you have your head so far up your pal's butt that you will never bother to find out.

It is apparent that socioeconomic and celibrity status is more important to u than meeting people from all over the world.

Iam so starstruck...daughter of a NFL star..wow! Iam a neice of a retired major league professional baseball player who played in the World Series. Whoopie do, huh?

Look at a map and see where Peru and Mexico are, if you can read one that is. And if you knew anything about diversity then you would also know that social-economic status can be diverse as well.

I read and comprehend very well rick. I'm even able to see underneath the written meaning of your words. It okay for her to use sign to communicate with her friends, but I'll be damned if I am going to bother to learn it. She can communicate with me my way.

She does not use sign with her friends as they are predominately oral. Remember she was able to make it in the mainstream, we did not have to send her to a different school. She attended school with all her friends that she has grown up with. She has no interest in Deaf culture, never has and does not want to associate with people like you who do not accept her for who she is, that is why she prefers being around the oral deaf.

BTW we communicate with each other in ours and her native language: spoken English

Yea, choosing a cochlear implant for your child in 1989 was definitely the safe option. There were just so many of us that my daughter was actually the youngest implantee in the nation for several months. Oh, we knew about deafness as we made it our top priority once our daughter became diagnosed and we knew about the Deaf community as well because they were the people calling us Nazis and child abusers and a 2 year girl Frankenstein and a robot.

So please spare me the condescending lecture about playing it safe, we made reasoned and well informed decisions and you would know that to be true but you have your head so far up your pal's butt that you will never bother to find out.

Yep, iam enjoying having my head so far up in my pal's butt. LOL!

Look at a map and see where Peru and Mexico are, if you can read one that is. And if you knew anything about diversity then you would also know that social-economic status can be diverse as well.

Depending if the person judges people by their socio-economic status.

Your point about my map skills is....?

Oh never mind...u probably would come up something insulting so don't even bother to answer my question. :ty:

Oh, I see now./ That's how you dealt with yur child's deafness. You "managed" it. That tells a lot.

Exactly what "safe" way did I take, rick? Would you care to elaborate and explain the question?

Oh, and good one there. Comparing your daughter to a baseball. You're very eloquent, aren't you?

I'm sure you "managed" your son as well. You used the same skills that Rick used, had the same options and made different choices. But still, you probably "managed" your son as well.
As you said, he's succesful, and for children to be succesful "management" by their parents is important.

I thought "lack of management" by parents is the problem....

Back