Article in the Washington Post..."are farts funny to the deaf?"

green427

Reaction score
Looks like this was supposed to be a humorous article, but I only found the very last paragraph somewhat amusing. Some of you might find it funny, others will not.

I think the reporter should be asking more mature questions about the deaf, not something childish. How about asking us how we feel in the hearing world? How we are struggling?

Gene Weingarten: Hear no evil? - The Washington Post

It's Gene Weingarten. He is a humor writer. He sometimes writes longer feature articles, and has won the Pulitzer award at least once. Google for his articles about The Fiddler in the Subway and for his 2009 very serious article about the tragedy of parents forgetting their infants in the back seat of the car, resulting in about 35 to 40 deaths a year.

He does enjoy bathroom and scatological humor, and that's not to everyone's taste, every time.

Go to washingtonpost.com and look for his Tuesday on-line chats and Sunday humorous essays to get a more complete picture.

Incidentally, today is the day he does chat updates. Go to the washingtonpost site, scroll down on the right to Live Discussions, and look for Tuesdays with Moron. That's him. Make a comment if you want.

Last edited:
Even I am better than Gene. (no pat on the back for me)

Do you know why god made farts smell?

So the deaf can hear them too.

Farts...that stinky smell....around my house, farts are everyday, and always saying, "it wasn't me!"....My sense of smell (guess it's because I'm deaf?) is very sensitive, and the hairs in my nose curl whenever I smell a fart.

As for them being funny to the deaf...I'd say they are more funny to the hearing.....my boys giggle about them all the time, even have the loudest fart competition (in their rooms). Never around me tho', or I jump their arse.

As for them being funny to the deaf...I'd say they are more funny to the hearing.....my boys giggle about them all the time, even have the loudest fart competition (in their rooms). Never around me tho', or I jump their arse.

Maybe that's a boy issue rather than hearing? My son finds them much funnier than I do, as well.:roll:

Back