Are your parents/children hearing or deaf?

pbpara

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat...I ran searches for it and didn't find anything.

Anyway...I was just curious as to how many of us come from deaf families and/or have deaf families of our own?

Are/were your parents deaf? One of them? Or were they both hearing?
Are your children deaf? Is your significant other deaf and you have hearing children?

I would make it an actual poll but I need more than 4 choices, so it might be better as a survey. :)

To answer my own question...I was born to hearing parents, have a hard of hearing sister and one with normal hearing. The girl I want to marry is hearing. I appear to be the only one in my family that has manifested actual deafness, though I haven't been able to trace it back far on my father's side. (We suspect it may have come from him, since my youngest sister has a different father and is fine.)

my parents are hearing.. I'm Deaf.. my son's hearing..
but there's few deaf people in my family.. my grandfather's cousin is deaf and my grandmother's sister is deaf.. but it's not genes.. it just that all of us got deafness through disease. got mine from menigits, and other two from german messles.

I am born deaf and my parents are born deaf too. My sister is also born deaf. My aunt and uncle is also deaf (my aunt is my blood aunt and she was born deaf too). My other aunt who lives in Texas is also deaf and I think she was born deaf too. Her husband which is my uncle is also deaf. So, it's all genes. The girl I am about to marry is also deaf but she became deaf by a disease. I hope we can have deaf kids, but if not, i will still love them no matter what. :ily:

My younger sister and myself both are deaf -- our parents both are hearing...everyone except sister and I are hearing. I was told it was recessive genes from both parents that caused the deafness.
My husband (hearing) has 2 kids from a previous marriage, the son is deaf and daughter, hearing. Hubby's ex-wife is hearing.

my parents are hearing and older sister hearing -- im the only 1 deaf in the family and im deaf caused by rubella/german measles

I'm deaf, the only deaf person in my family. My mum had German Measles when she had me.

I'm the only deaf one in the family- did not find out I was deaf until I was 9 months old :shock:

I come from a hearing family of mother, father, two sisters, and a brother. Communication isn't really a problem for me since I can speak for myself and they know some home-signs. In order from knowing more sign language to less sign language is my brother, one sister, the other sister, my dad, then my mom. However, they are aware that they need to speak clearly so when I have deaf friends over, they understand my parents cuz they speak clearly enough so my friends can read their lips.

I was born deaf because my mother had rubella, the only one in my family side. My parents and 3 sisters refused to learn sign language, we communicated in oral/lipreading. :smash:

My husband is hearing, no deaf on his family side. We have three hearing girls. We use Auslan sign language :party:

I was born Deaf - due to rubella, a german measles my mum has contracted during her pregnancy which she didnt know and she did not have the vaccination at that time.

My parents and my older brother are all hearing. None of our family are Deaf, BUT..... one of my mum's older brothers, his wife's sister has a Deaf son. I do not know how he become Deaf himself

~sharlie~

Born HOH.(five decibles away from being deaf) Only hoh person in my immediate family, although my dad's cousin Becky is Deaf (she went to Clarke way back when) My hearing loss however is genetic (random mutation) and if I have kids they have a 50% chance of being hoh or maybe even deaf! (70 dcb loss)
I hope we can have deaf kids
Well you could adopt deaf/hoh kids. From what I hear, it's really difficult to find people who will adopt deaf and hoh kids,(b/c most people who want to adopt want "healthy normal designer children") so it's pretty easy to adopt them.

deafdyke said:
Well you could adopt deaf/hoh kids. From what I hear, it's really difficult to find people who will adopt deaf and hoh kids,(b/c most people who want to adopt want "healthy normal designer children") so it's pretty easy to adopt them.

If you have any information on this subject, could you e-mail it to me? I am planning to write a long article/resource list on the subject of adopting deaf children for Sarah Dillon's web site.

More about me: I'm hearing, as is my immediate family (mother, father, sisters, half sister, half brother). I think I heard that one of my uncles just recently became deaf. My younger sister has a son that....I think might be a hearie, but is about to turn 6 weeks old this coming Friday, so I'm not completely sure if he's hearing.

That being said, I just found out recently that my supervisor at work was born deaf, but became hearing at an early age.

cjester27 said:

That being said, I just found out recently that my supervisor at work was born deaf, but became hearing at an early age.

:confused: became HEARING at an early age qq are u possibly referring to cochlear implants or something else qq can u please clarify qq

Fly Free said:
:confused: became HEARING at an early age qq are u possibly referring to cochlear implants or something else qq can u please clarify qq

She....didn't really explain it in depth too well. She was born deaf and did not know she was deaf until she was sitting in front of her TV when she was young and her mother was screaming at the top of her lungs. She told she was lip reading all that time without even knowing it.

Either she said she had some sort of surgery or somehow mysteriously she gained her hearing. No cochlear implants, nor does she wear a hearing aid. Sometimes she gets very bad sinus problems, and once again, does go deaf. I do at all times have to speak to her face so she can hear me.

Does that help? I'm somewhat of a bad explainer.

Sarah

I am only one DEAF in the family. All my family are hearing. We communicate by lipreading/speech. :thumbd:

My husband is HOH - he was born with that. Both of my children are hearing.

I'm only deaf in family I was hoh since age 7 and gradually lost all my hearing by age 17.

Either she said she had some sort of surgery or somehow mysteriously she gained her hearing. No cochlear implants, nor does she wear a hearing aid. Sometimes she gets very bad sinus problems, and once again, does go deaf.
Maybe she had really bad ear infections or really bad otis media as a baby coupled with narrow ear canals which caused a moderately severe conductive loss. Students with significent conductive losses due to otis media were really common in schools for the deaf until about 30 years ago. I know a ton of hearing kids (my age early-mid-twenties) who had conductive losses when they were born but had surgery and are now 100% HEARING. I have very narrow(almost nonexistent) ear canals and when I get colds I literally go :deaf:

Both of parents are hearing. But mom lost her right hearing, just a lil.

Back