are you transgender?

Congratulations, Saavik!!!! I'm so glad you had such a good experience. I'm just seeing this thread now, but if you're still looking for books, here are some good ones:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shes-Not-There-Life-Genders-ebook/dp/B00A9ET4UE/ref=pd_sim_b_5"]She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders[/ame] by Jennifer Finney Boylan is a memoir by a trans woman.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Luna-Julie-Anne-Peters-ebook/dp/B000SEOGSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385790462&sr=8-1&keywords=luna+julie+ann"]Luna[/ame] by Julie Ann Peters is a young adult novel about a young trans woman.

I'm super excited about [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Redefining-Realness-Path-Womanhood-Identity-ebook/dp/B00DPM7XIW/ref=pd_sim_kstore_40"]Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More[/ame] by Janet Mock. She's an amazing activist and her memoir comes out in a few months.

I've found learning the history of the transgender community really grounding. You may want to check out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transgender-History-Studies-Susan-Stryker-ebook/dp/B004KPLWHG/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385790572&sr=1-10&keywords=transgender"]Transgender History[/ame] by Susan Stryker, which is quite good.

no, i'm transmortal lol

so

you can guess the times of day I'm out...and what's my bed...

Congratulations, Saavik!!!! I'm so glad you had such a good experience. I'm just seeing this thread now, but if you're still looking for books, here are some good ones:

She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan is a memoir by a trans woman.

Luna by Julie Ann Peters is a young adult novel about a young trans woman.

I'm super excited about Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock. She's an amazing activist and her memoir comes out in a few months.

I've found learning the history of the transgender community really grounding. You may want to check out Transgender History by Susan Stryker, which is quite good.

Well, I'm fighting my school right now since the Chief of the campus police is harassing me for 'using the ladies bathroom' when I have been using a non-gender specific single person bathroom on the far side of campus as I was instructed. They threatened to bring me up on criminal charges. Even if I did use a ladies bathroom, my gender in the school's system is female, not male.

I'm printing off my email correspondence that shows my gender was changed at my request and the fact I inquired about their policies (or lackthereof) for transgender students so I wouldn't accidentally violate any rules and the fact she told me what bathroom to use.

I wish I had money to buy those books, for now I have to rely on things I can find free on the internet.

I'm officially and legally female as of yesterday, I finally got my approval letter from the DMV and got my gender marker changed. :D

Congratz! :D

Now.... we must go girl shopping to celebrate! :D

But I'm moving 2000 miles west, venturing out into the Mohave so I can live full time as I feel and not live a lie as something I'm not, which is the case here.

I went to Cato to buy some pants and a cardigan, but when I went to use the fitting room, they told me I wasn't allowed to use it. I wonder if now, since I'm legally female, if they can actually say anything? I hate this place, glad I'm leaving but I feel guilty leaving my parents here, but it's something I have to do since I'm a 24 year old woman living at home still, but having to play a 24 year old man as I'm not out to them yet (They despise interracial relationships and gay people, I know what I'm going to hear when I tell them I'm trans)

One of the first things I'm doing when I get out there is changing my name.

One thing that really perturbed me was at the DMV, after they changed my gender marker, they still kept referring to me in the masculine pronoun.. :'(

But I'm moving 2000 miles west, venturing out into the Mohave so I can live full time as I feel and not live a lie as something I'm not, which is the case here.

I went to Cato to buy some pants and a cardigan, but when I went to use the fitting room, they told me I wasn't allowed to use it. I wonder if now, since I'm legally female, if they can actually say anything? I hate this place, glad I'm leaving but I feel guilty leaving my parents here, but it's something I have to do since I'm a 24 year old woman living at home still, but having to play a 24 year old man as I'm not out to them yet (They despise interracial relationships and gay people, I know what I'm going to hear when I tell them I'm trans)

One of the first things I'm doing when I get out there is changing my name.

One thing that really perturbed me was at the DMV, after they changed my gender marker, they still kept referring to me in the masculine pronoun.. :'(

OoOOooooOOooooh hoh hoh hoh ooooh no they can't do ANYTHING about it now that you're legally female! That's the beauty! :D If they were to tell you that you can not use that room, you can simply flash your ID saying you're female and if they go beyond that they would have a lawsuit that would make the bigwigs at that company pee themselves! :laugh2: Before your ID was updated, yes they could legally tell you no. Now that you're legally female ( Congratz again by the way ) There isn't a ding dong damn thing they can do to tell you that you have to use the male side! :D

Some people are narrow minded and will never adapt or adjust. Just ignore them and realize that you're a chick and they're just secretly jealous. ;)

OoOOooooOOooooh hoh hoh hoh ooooh no they can't do ANYTHING about it now that you're legally female! That's the beauty! :D If they were to tell you that you can not use that room, you can simply flash your ID saying you're female and if they go beyond that they would have a lawsuit that would make the bigwigs at that company pee themselves! :laugh2: Before your ID was updated, yes they could legally tell you no. Now that you're legally female ( Congratz again by the way ) There isn't a ding dong damn thing they can do to tell you that you have to use the male side! :D

Some people are narrow minded and will never adapt or adjust. Just ignore them and realize that you're a chick and they're just secretly jealous. ;)

Before I had my license changed, when it still showed male, I was told to use a non-gender specific bathroom at the far end of campus and I complied, despite feeling like I were under a neo-Jim Crow law type of system. Someone lied and said they walked into the women's bathroom in the middle of campus and saw me there and the campus police threatened me with criminal charges, they even through the word felony around and I hadn't done anything wrong.

I wish to stop using non-gender specific bathrooms and I don't think I'm legally allowed to use the mens room anymore, but I'm not clear on the law, but I'll keep the fitting room thing in mind. I don't have a permanent license, just the temporary paper one, but it clearly shows female (Virginia DMV doesn't make licenses on the spot, they send them in the mail).

I just wish I knew what things I'm now allowed to do without fear of being punished for not passing and being mistaken for male. It's scary to deal with the hassles, but I am who I am and never felt so happy as when I'm dressed up as my actual gender and never so miserable as when I'm portraying my birth gender.

As long as you're legally female... you're female. Period. As long as you are recognized by your state and the United States of America ( You would have to be to have a license issued to you with the gender female ) You are allowed to go any areas that are female marked, but not supposed to go in area's male marked. Once you have your sex changed, that's it. :) You're female, end of story. It's not an easy thing to have done as you know, lots of paperwork, ect ect. Once you get it done though your reward is to be recognized as a female from that point on! Period! You are allowed in female restrooms and female dressing rooms the same! I don't see what the big f-ing deal is about you going in a damn female restroom, it's not like the mens rooms where we can all see each-other peeing we have stalls with doors! *smh* :roll:

Also, when you're looking to do your name change, I suggest going to legalzoom.com. It's MUCH cheaper than paying a lawyer and all that crap! I helped my friend change hers and through the lawyer and court it was going to be like $800 bucks! The papers and stuff through Legalzoom were around $200 and she had to submit them to the court and then after 30 days ( To wait for anyone to dispute debts ) boom, her name was changed. ( Full name ) Much MUCH cheaper through Legalzoom than the court or a lawyer. Plus, it's more on the "down low" so to speak and you don't have to deal with all that other crap as with a lawyer. :)

As long as you're legally female... you're female. Period. As long as you are recognized by your state and the United States of America ( You would have to be to have a license issued to you with the gender female ) You are allowed to go any areas that are female marked, but not supposed to go in area's male marked. Once you have your sex changed, that's it. :) You're female, end of story. It's not an easy thing to have done as you know, lots of paperwork, ect ect. Once you get it done though your reward is to be recognized as a female from that point on! Period! You are allowed in female restrooms and female dressing rooms the same! I don't see what the big f-ing deal is about you going in a damn female restroom, it's not like the mens rooms where we can all see each-other peeing we have stalls with doors! *smh* :roll:

Also, when you're looking to do your name change, I suggest going to legalzoom.com. It's MUCH cheaper than paying a lawyer and all that crap! I helped my friend change hers and through the lawyer and court it was going to be like $800 bucks! The papers and stuff through Legalzoom were around $200 and she had to submit them to the court and then after 30 days ( To wait for anyone to dispute debts ) boom, her name was changed. ( Full name ) Much MUCH cheaper through Legalzoom than the court or a lawyer. Plus, it's more on the "down low" so to speak and you don't have to deal with all that other crap as with a lawyer. :)

Technically if I'm dressed male since I'm early on in transition, I doubt anyone would say anything if I used the mens room, but I don't want to, its smelly, dirty and I don't feel right or comfortable at all in there. I guess that also means I could be charged if a cop really wanted to for not wearing a top of any kind? lol Thats fine, I never cared for the shirtless crap.

Yes, it's on my Virginia state drivers license as female, its a paper temp license until the new one is sent in, but I'm going to take my temp paper license and just get a Nevada license the moment I get out there, I just hope I have no issues keeping my gender female on the Nevada license, but I don't see how I would, I'm legally a woman applying for a new license coming from another state.

I'm still debating if I should store semen at a bank before starting HRT in case I change my mind about kids one day. I hope to be on HRT as soon as possible and maybe one day I can afford SRS?

Yeah, I argued my case when I was accused of using the women's bathroom, he said that I was legally male as he somehow got access to my information from a regular police database and when I asked about once my gender change request went through about using the bathroom I was accused of, he said "technically" and went on to say if someone saw my genitals.. I was like "Womens bathrooms have stalls, no urinals" he interrupted and said "but stall have cracks in them" Which I told him if someone looks into my stall and sees anything through the cracks of their own volition, that isn't my fault, they shouldn't be peeking through cracks in the first place.

The campus police called my IPrelay, left a message while I was working, then called my parents for some reason and nearly outed me. I'm a week away now from being 24, they violated my privacy by talking to my parents at all. Because when I got home my father was furious and asked if I went in the womens bathroom.

Anyway, I had the support and backing of PFLAG and they told me after I leave, they are going after the school full force as everything they did to me was wrong and I hope PFLAG changes that place for the next trans student to avoid having the harassment that I had.

I'm always thinking about legally where I stand as not doing so will hurt only me.

Yeah, if you're legal you're legal that's it! In Nevada? Having an issue? You know Las Vegas is there right? :laugh2: I don't really see ANY issues with that! :laugh2: I think you'll be okay. :) If someone tries to start crap and you take it to court, the court legally has to back you since you are legally a female.

It wouldn't hurt to bank some in case you do change your mind, no harm in being prepared right? I don't want children right now, but I keep myself intact just in case I were to change my mind later in life. :P I realize people change their minds all the time, and I'm no different.

I would consider that a violation of rights personally, however I'm not sure on a legal standpoint with your particular instance. At least it's all behind you and you can start your new journey soon enough. :)

I am going through the change (M to F) and I am also getting my national certification test as well for sign language interpreting. If you're interested in chatting add me on skype: annemchamp

It's hard going through the change and it can be difficult but I also have family support who took me to PFLAGs meeting and those help out. It's not only for family members but also for friends and whoever is there for your support. I know there are not many PFLAG associations around but I bet you could find one.

Please feel frree to add me on skype it would be nice to chat with someone who knows sign and is going through the change :-D

Yeah, if you're legal you're legal that's it! In Nevada? Having an issue? You know Las Vegas is there right? :laugh2: I don't really see ANY issues with that! :laugh2: I think you'll be okay. :) If someone tries to start crap and you take it to court, the court legally has to back you since you are legally a female.

It wouldn't hurt to bank some in case you do change your mind, no harm in being prepared right? I don't want children right now, but I keep myself intact just in case I were to change my mind later in life. :P I realize people change their minds all the time, and I'm no different.

I would consider that a violation of rights personally, however I'm not sure on a legal standpoint with your particular instance. At least it's all behind you and you can start your new journey soon enough. :)

My approval letter and temp license as you can see what gender I am to the state of Virginia. I was considering just taking this temp paper license and getting my Nevada license the second I get out there.

hi! please don't mind me, i just read whole thing in this thread. but i want to say congrats for id change on license and everything! i'm sure you all excited for go into new chapter of your life and with new adventure, of course! :)

my name is xandie, i haven't go on this alldeaf for so longgg time. i was young, i've around here alot. but however -- i'm deaf and i'm transexual, i came out as trans when i was 17 and started the process everything when just turned 18 years old, as i was very well-knowledge that i was first youngest deaf transexual for deaf community. alot of deaf people were very new with transexual stuff with going on -- it was likes more 10 years ago, wow. thats make me kinda old but it was great experience.

but again, congrats saavik!

Question... is that necessary to ask to search their privacy?

I, too, have a question.

I've never had to show an ID to use any restroom or dressing room, so I don't see how that even comes up. If you look like the sex that you identify with, why would anyone stop you from using those facilities? Why would they even question you?

That is, if you look like a woman and you want to use the women's restroom or dressing room, why would anyone ask you for identification?

Back