Are you shy to wear a HA/CI or don't care?

I was worried about how my CI would look until I actually got it. When I put it on I realized it wasn't really a big deal (especially since I have thick hair to cover it). I just want the thing to start being effective for me.

If people don't like how my HA and CI look, too bad--but I really think that if people ever judged me because of my hearing impairment, it was more because of communication aspects than anything cosmetic. And that's why I'm wearing a CI, to make communication less of a problem.

It doesn't bother me to show people but most of time people thought i was hearing when i go out in public when my hair is down. :lol:

It's not bother me but If I have CI. I don't care! I am ready to pick a color custom for my future CI.

I had horrible experiences in elementary, middle, and high school. I mainstreamed my whole life. I am TERRIBLY SHY bout my BTE... like I will wear them for the boyfriend, or at the boyfriend's parents at their house so i dont miss anything. And thats it. Not at my own house, since everyone in my house is so critical and superficial. Not at work, since its so loud as it is, why add something that amplifies sound to give me a pounding headache. I wont wear it out in public, since ppl would notice and they would shout at me or talk at me... really really shy... so shy, i would rather let ppl know i cant hear at all than to let them see me struggle with background noises, and overchattering and whatnot!!!

HORRIBLY SHY

I had horrible experiences in elementary, middle, and high school. I mainstreamed my whole life. I am TERRIBLY SHY bout my BTE... like I will wear them for the boyfriend, or at the boyfriend's parents at their house so i dont miss anything. And thats it. Not at my own house, since everyone in my house is so critical and superficial. Not at work, since its so loud as it is, why add something that amplifies sound to give me a pounding headache. I wont wear it out in public, since ppl would notice and they would shout at me or talk at me... really really shy... so shy, i would rather let ppl know i cant hear at all than to let them see me struggle with background noises, and overchattering and whatnot!!!

HORRIBLY SHY

Exactly! That was how i felt. If you have your hair cover. Nobody can see it. I don't like bulky one. I wish I have a mini BTE. I don't really care right now. It's not bother me anymore. My husband think it's silly to be shy. HA and glasses are the same.

i don't like people to see mainly b/c i am a school counselor (55 %loss R and 67% loss left). I hate how people look and then glance away or worse give me that "look". and at least 4 times a week a kid who i have seen all year notice and ask "what's that thing in your ear" i reply "hearing aid" they reply "you're deaf" i reply " I'm talking to you so what do you think?- :hmmsilence then i say" It's just like people who wear glasses to see better i wear these to hear better. Understand?"

HORRIBLY SHY

SO I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! My parents are INCREDIBLY critical about all of this and want NOTHING to do with the fact that i'm HOH and need aids. They said flat out "you're done fine up to this point, you don't need them-you hear obviously just fine, you hear us no problem!". I've already decided that i won't be wearing them around my family...

Back