Are they real or not?

Lysander

Reaction score
So, are these new members who make one public post, then soak messages across everyone's individual member pages real or are they just spammers? I don't know why, but this forum seems to have a disproportionate amount of them in comparison to others I'm on. But then I wonder if the lack of Deaf dating sites just brings more people in here looking for relationships and that they are real people. I'm so confused.

P.S. I'm excited that my phone has finally learned to aitocorrect to big D Deaf instead of small d deaf on its own now when I type deaf.

I suspect most are just spam, or someone genuinely interested at first and then moves on. I ignore it.

As for the Deaf part, that's great, but not everyone here identifies as Deaf. Some identify as deaf. The Deaf is cultural, the deaf is more medical.

One way you can tell it's a spammer is if they give out their email address or phone number openly for everyone to see.

As for the others, sometimes they are real but genuinely desperate. That's a red flag anyway in that they're just looking for anyone instead of a real connection.

Maybe a week ago, I got a whole conversation between 2 new(ish) AD members in my PM. I deleted it. No other action taken.

One way you can tell it's a spammer is if they give out their email address or phone number openly for everyone to see.

That is actually why I posted this. It seemed of that someone sent me a message with 2 email addresses in it and they wouldn't put the .com in it. They only had 1 previous message and the PM was basically, you can reach me at xjajfbf at YHOO dot com. That just seemed suspicious.

you can reach me at xjajfbf at YHOO dot com. That just seemed suspicious.

Yes that's a spammer, all right. If it was a real person they would want to establish rapport first. Spammers give their email address upfront so they can continue their scam even if they get banned here.

Maybe a week ago, I got a whole conversation between 2 new(ish) AD members in my PM. I deleted it. No other action taken.
Yeah you gotta be careful before you know it they'll start pm messages and might even call you a crappy instead of cappy! Lol I got one a few weeks ago from someone who had been a supposed memeber for 4 years but had never posted so I deleted it too.

such folks can be trolls, or pretenders. You may wonder why anyone cares to pretend to be dear online but there are all manner of pretenders lurking around many sites. I suppose they get a charge out of deceiving others. Shrug. I wait to communicate by PM until I've been interested by enough public posts to be convinced a person is both real and reasonable.

Back