Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

I wish my mom listened to them. My life would have been so MUCH better than the oral-only philosophy that was forced on me. The same goes for several of my deaf friends who learned ASL later on.

Almost everyone wishes their parents did something differently. That is not a unique experience. There really is no way of knowing if life would have been better. Every little event in our life shapes who we become. It's quite possible that your life would have been better going to a deaf school. It is equally possible it would have been worse. There really is no way to measure this. But from would you have posted you have 2 College degrees, a job that you love, a family and close friends. It sounds like life is pretty good.

Is it a diverse school with other dhh people? I think one of the issues with middle and high school is that most high schools tend to be very much "one size fits all" places. I've also seen that dhh kids who are exposed regularly to Deaf camps and activities (out of school)tend to have a better experiance.

Actually, I'm the only Dhh there, but its a much more laid back school. Kids don't care much for picking on each other here. It may help that I hang out with the smart people :lol:

However, I do wish I was in a deaf school sometimes. I think I would do better at one, and that way I could learn ASL. My parents (sadly) decided not to teach me ASL. (Dumb doctors....) I grew up with little experience of the deaf... I'm learning now I found some deaf kids my age around here :)

However, I do wish I was in a deaf school sometimes. I think I would do better at one, and that way I could learn ASL. My parents (sadly) decided not to teach me ASL. (Dumb doctors....) I grew up with little experience of the deaf... I'm learning now I found some deaf kids my age around here :)

Or how about a regional dhh program? Those can be awesome for students who are a lot like you. I do think MANY dhh (especially functionally/audilogically HOH) kids can benifit from a sizable dhh program at a mainstream school. You could look into Deaf camps or EYF at NTID......those might be awesome for you! Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

Grummer, does that mean the science project I'm working on is political? I don't think politicians would care about coyote s**t!!!:D

animal conversation or welfare IS ALWAYS political!!, YES! thats enviromental politics

Almost everyone wishes their parents did something differently. That is not a unique experience. There really is no way of knowing if life would have been better. Every little event in our life shapes who we become. It's quite possible that your life would have been better going to a deaf school. It is equally possible it would have been worse. There really is no way to measure this. But from would you have posted you have 2 College degrees, a job that you love, a family and close friends. It sounds like life is pretty good.

On the other hand Txgolfer, this is a choice that can give kids PSTD, and or really screw up emotional/social development or even just typical self esteem.

On the other hand Txgolfer, this is a choice that can give kids PSTD, and or really screw up emotional/social development or even just typical self esteem.

Parents face a lot of choices like that.

Back