Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

If that is true, they will discover that when researching the school obviously.

no, they keep trying to discover 'more evidence' to keep that old Outdated mainstream concept 'alive' its just changed approach but to the same 'goals' of oralism.

dont trust 'research' every research out there IS ALWAY politically laden. ALWAYS

dont trust 'research' every research out there IS ALWAY politically laden. ALWAYS

Grummer, does that mean the science project I'm working on is political? I don't think politicians would care about coyote s**t!!!:D

no, they keep trying to discover 'more evidence' to keep that old Outdated mainstream concept 'alive' its just changed approach but to the same 'goals' of oralism.

That is why I suggested the parents do the research....

Honestly, it depends on the public school. The one I'm in right now is AMAZING. I like being mainstreamed, because I can be with different people. However, if I was back at the old school, I would beg for a deaf school.

if they were honest about it yes, but no, they are not interested in language, but only in "hearing-ness', nothing else. if a failing deaf is in their class, they just doctor it for them to go to slow down classes, with useless teachers whose the kids have No freaking idea whats going on, because they have already effectively been dumbed down by removing "English" for "hearing LANGUAGE" by removing ASL, or which is a catch-22 for these dhh kids. its the teachers fault, the education system's fault, not the kids.

but no, they're not going to 'find their own faults' largely believe they would be considering this 'move' as 'counter productive' to "Education"...(sic)...and why would they research up on something that might make them ouf of jobs?
they dont care as long they think they can work some kind of 'miracle' with wishful teaching strategy

if they were honest about it yes, but no, they are not interested in language, but only in "hearing-ness', nothing else. if a failing deaf is in their class, they just doctor it for them to go to slow down classes, with useless teachers whose the kids have No freaking idea whats going on, because they have already effectively been dumbed down by removing "English" for "hearing LANGUAGE" by removing ASL, or which is a catch-22 for these dhh kids. its the teachers fault, the education system's fault, not the kids.

If they're failing, and if they need assistance, then yes, they will go to a "slow down" class. That way, they can try to work with them individually and try to help them pass. Do not assume all teachers do that, and all schools do that. My mother and father are teachers, and they are GREAT with HOH kids, and other kids that may need additional assistance. Am I dumbed down? No. Are you dumbed down? You have to answer that for yourself. I think you're speaking out of anger of a current/past situation and you've let yourself become bitter about it. I may be right. I may be wrong. But I think you're going to have to see the other's sides view. Most teachers in my experience try to HELP.

If they're failing, and if they need assistance, then yes, they will go to a "slow down" class. That way, they can try to work with them individually and try to help them pass. Do not assume all teachers do that, and all schools do that. My mother and father are teachers, and they are GREAT with HOH kids, and other kids that may need additional assistance. Am I dumbed down? No. Are you dumbed down? You have to answer that for yourself. I think you're speaking out of anger of a current/past situation and you've let yourself become bitter about it. I may be right. I may be wrong. But I think you're going to have to see the other's sides view. Most teachers in my experience try to HELP.

yes they 'try to help' but largely Cant help because they cant repair damages already done...teachers dont know shit, only informed by oralism
what does that tell you?

Honestly, it depends on the public school. The one I'm in right now is AMAZING. I like being mainstreamed, because I can be with different people. However, if I was back at the old school, I would beg for a deaf school.
Is it a diverse school with other dhh people? I think one of the issues with middle and high school is that most high schools tend to be very much "one size fits all" places. I've also seen that dhh kids who are exposed regularly to Deaf camps and activities (out of school)tend to have a better experiance.

Txgolfer, please stop speaking on issues of which you know NOTHING.
It's not just a specific school issue, it's a GLOBAL mainstream ed issue.....
It's a FACT that the overwhelming majority of mainstream teachers, INCLUDING special ed teachers do not have the specific training on how to teach dhh, or other low incidence children.
It's also an attitude inherient in special ed in general. Don't you remember how crappy special ed was when you were in school? I was very high functioning, but b/c they had NO CLUE what to do with me, I was lumped in with the special ed kids....I was told I was never going to go to college, I was told I was lazy etc etc etc. Special ed is a DUMPING GROUND, and there are ALSO very low expecations in the mainstream. Dhh kids usually get lumped in with sped.......enough said. It IS a bit better at regional dhh programs or magnet schools.
Besides, you're assuming that the mainstream is always supeior........have you MISSED the debate on education?!?!??! Not everyone has access to a Really Good School.

Txgolfer, please stop speaking on issues of which you know NOTHING.
It's not just a specific school issue, it's a GLOBAL mainstream ed issue.....
It's a FACT that the overwhelming majority of mainstream teachers, INCLUDING special ed teachers do not have the specific training on how to teach dhh, or other low incidence children.
It's also an attitude inherient in special ed in general. Don't you remember how crappy special ed was when you were in school? I was very high functioning, but b/c they had NO CLUE what to do with me, I was lumped in with the special ed kids....I was told I was never going to go to college, I was told I was lazy etc etc etc. Special ed is a DUMPING GROUND, and there are ALSO very low expecations in the mainstream. Dhh kids usually get lumped in with sped.......enough said. It IS a bit better at regional dhh programs or magnet schools.
Besides, you're assuming that the mainstream is always supeior........have you MISSED the debate on education?!?!??! Not everyone has access to a Really Good School.

Once again you are being very rude. This is unnecessary. Continuing to say these things does not make them fact. There are good and bad deaf schools, good and bad public schools and good and bad private schools. All of this is something parents must weigh and research when picking a school. If you read more carefully I have not claimed any *experience to be superior. Parents don't need to be subjected to biased opinions.....they need accurate information.

yes they 'try to help' but largely Cant help because they cant repair damages already done...teachers dont know shit, only informed by oralism
what does that tell you?

That tells me I can never change your mind, and you can never change mine. Teachers in Texas have to Go though special training for that stuff. Teachers can't "fix" the damage done if the student is being a butthead. Plus, what you said there about teachers don't know "S***" makes me MAD. My mother and father know s***.The teachers I work with everyday know s***.Not all teachers deserve being told they don't know S***.It's not their fault they're taught by oralist. You want to blame someone? Blame you board of education.

Last edited:
I apologize for stooping down as I saying cuss words and losing my head. I have gone back and edited out the swear words. My apololgies.

I apologize for stooping down as I saying cuss words and losing my head. I have gone back and edited out the swear words. My apololgies.

There is always a lot of strong emotion on this topic, from both sides.

There is always a lot of strong emotion on this topic, from both sides.
I know it doesn't seem like it, but I actually see both sides. I lost my head when Grummer kept insulting and pointing fingers when it was not needed.
I'm not sure if I'm pro-public school or con. I think both would be good.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but I actually see both sides. I lost my head when Grummer kept insulting and pointing fingers when it was not needed.

You are lucky to grow up today. The public schools are actually far advanced in accommodating dhh students.

I was in the early days of the mainstreaming concept, and I did suffer. Grummer is younger than I am, but he is a product of his time.

He is absolutely right about the time he grew up in. A lot of us are very badly affected emotionally by what happened to us in our youth.

And I should mention that I was partly in special programs and partly home schooled by highly educated parents, so I came out a lot better than a lot of the mainstreamers.

Back