Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

I'm not sure if you understand how the education system works in the UK but we tend to find out that the universities aren't keen on applicants having studied subjects like critical thinking etc. while applying and receiving our offers.

Why would any university discourage critical thinking? That makes virtually no sense. A successful university education requires critical thinking skills. Without them, you cannot apply that which you have learned in practical and real life ways.

So, you know this young man personally? His posts are indicative of someone who really knows next to nothing about bigotry.

Lets remind ourselves that a black man is president of America, a black man is the most powerful man on earth. If that's not progress, what is? Of course i know racism exists, I would be a fool for denying that.

Why would any university discourage critical thinking? That makes virtually no sense. A successful university education requires critical thinking skills. Without them, you cannot apply that which you have learned in practical and real life ways.

I don't know why. We as students apply to the universities and they either offer us a place or not, if we get an offer and they don't accept critical thinking, they don't give us an explanation why and seeing as i never took the subject, i wouldn't care if they told me they didn't accept it. I would just be thankful for the offer.

Lets remind ourselves that a black man is president of America, a black man is the most powerful man on earth. If that's not progress, what is? Of course i know racism exists, I would be a fool for denying that.

I don't need to remind myself that a Black man is President. I voted for him. :lol:

And the fact that a Black man is President has given rise to more overt and covert racism than this country has seen in quite some time.

I don't know why. We as students apply to the universities and they either offer us a place or not, if we get an offer and they don't accept critical thinking, they don't give us an explanation why and seeing as i never took the subject, i wouldn't care if they told me they didn't accept it. I would just be thankful for the offer.

So, you are talking about which courses will be accepted as qualifications for admission, not programs of study. See, this is why you need to spend some time actually attending and studying at university. You are confused about several things. Not the least of which is the courses needed for admission, and the program of study leading to a degree.

I don't need to remind myself that a Black man is President. I voted for him. :lol:

And the fact that a Black man is President has given rise to more overt and covert racism than this country has seen in quite some time.

I'm not even wild about the guy's policies but given the actions of more than a few politicans and others of their ilk, I see considerable evidence that racism is still alive in this country and it's becoming more overt rather than subtle. I will grant it's less overt than in the 1930s.. but jillio is free to correct me.

I'm not even wild about the guy's policies but given the actions of more than a few politicans and others of their ilk, I see considerable evidence that racism is still alive in this country and it's becoming more overt rather than subtle. I will grant it's less overt than in the 1930s.. but jillio is free to correct me.

Yes, less overt than in the 30's. But just becoming covert does not mean that it has lessened. It has just gone underground.

So, you are talking about which courses will be accepted as qualifications for admission, not programs of study. See, this is why you need to spend some time actually attending and studying at university. You are confused about several things. Not the least of which is the courses needed for admission, and the program of study leading to a degree.

No i know that universiites offer Sociology as a course, of course i knew that. I'm simply saying it's their decision to exclude certain subjects from the offer, it's not up to me, so don't ask my why they do it. My only guess for critical thinking would be that most subjects require an analytical, critical and evaluative mind anyway, so why waste an A level when you can pick up those skills studying something else? but that's just a guess.

The way I see this whole line of posts in this thread here is:

Many of us have been posting on this forum for years and we have come to know the history, backgrounds of the active posters in these threads.

So, for someone such as Jillio, or I, for example, to hear the story Botts shared with us, we were appalled. Because we understand how it happened, that Botts is not one to exaggerate, and understand just simply based on life experiences.

The deaf have been discriminated against, ridiculed, taken advantage of, you name it. I'm absolutely certain that Bott's not seeing very well, and being deaf, was prime taking-advantage-of at that restaurant. I could see that one time this happening could be a fluke -- a worker not paying attention, etc. Twice or more? And it not happening when her family is with her? The implications are very obvious.

Bottom line ... howag, I saw your intro thread in which you are new to this forum. I understand you are not familiar with the active posters here. I understand you are not familiar with how the deaf have been regarded. So people here are trying to teach you that your -- what feels ignorant -- statement was received poorly because we have experience in this area.

Does that make sense? I hope you can grow and learn that this situation was by no means unique -- yet unfortunate -- but we were drawing on experience to see it for what it was. The experience you do not have.

I hope you stay and learn from us. :)

I hope we can just drop this now? This thread has gone way off topic and i don't want to go to bed knowing I'm not gonna have a ton of messages saying more things i've done wrong when i wake up. I admit i could have posed the questions in a less offensive way and i will apologise to Bottesini, on top of that i apologise for any offence caused, i'm not a racist, i'm not an audist and i don't think that the mentioned courses are "mickey mouse" courses (Evening Standard's words, not mine) Thank you Alleycat for just clearing the air for me, I understand now.

I hope we can just drop this now? This thread has gone way off topic and i don't want to go to bed knowing I'm not gonna have a ton of messages saying more things i've done wrong when i wake up. I admit i could have posed the questions in a less offensive way and i will apologise to Bottesini, on top of that i apologise for any offence caused, i'm not a racist, i'm not an audist and i don't think that the mentioned courses are "mickey mouse" courses (Evening Standard's words, not mine) Thank you Alleycat for just clearing the air for me, I understand now.

Great. Come back tomorrow with an open mind and a willingness to learn from the myriad of experiences of the people here.

You don't need to apologise to me. I think people here explained to you pretty well what I was trying to tell you.

^ *cough* :lol:
I hope that you will come to enjoy your time here, howag.
There is a lot of information you will come to learn about the deaf community and the challenges they face.

The way I see this whole line of posts in this thread here is:

Many of us have been posting on this forum for years and we have come to know the history, backgrounds of the active posters in these threads.

So, for someone such as Jillio, or I, for example, to hear the story Botts shared with us, we were appalled. Because we understand how it happened, that Botts is not one to exaggerate, and understand just simply based on life experiences.

The deaf have been discriminated against, ridiculed, taken advantage of, you name it. I'm absolutely certain that Bott's not seeing very well, and being deaf, was prime taking-advantage-of at that restaurant. I could see that one time this happening could be a fluke -- a worker not paying attention, etc. Twice or more? And it not happening when her family is with her? The implications are very obvious.

Bottom line ... howag, I saw your intro thread in which you are new to this forum. I understand you are not familiar with the active posters here. I understand you are not familiar with how the deaf have been regarded. So people here are trying to teach you that your -- what feels ignorant -- statement was received poorly because we have experience in this area.

Does that make sense? I hope you can grow and learn that this situation was by no means unique -- yet unfortunate -- but we were drawing on experience to see it for what it was. The experience you do not have.

I hope you stay and learn from us. :)

After reading through the last 3 pages of this thread, I have to give howag credit for persistance. I think he is learning. :)

I'm not trying to state that her perception IS clouded. I was simply suggesting that it was a POSSIBILITY when coming to a judgement about the motive of the restaurant.I also don't think she is stupid but like i said i was throwing ideas out.

Can you seriously blame me for thinking that times have moved on when i'm told they haven't just because they gave her the wrong meal twice. That doesn't prove that negative behaviour towards people with disabilities hasn't decreased, it just proves that it still exisits. I assure you i meant no offence by what i said.

I am not sure why this is causing the uproar to the extent it is. I go to eat once a week approximately with a group and we have all had errors made in our orders even though I am the only one with a profound hearing loss. I can see how she would view it the way she did based on prior experience but there is also the matter of errors being made in orders or getting someone else's order just based on the number of orders being handled.

After reading through the last 3 pages of this thread, I have to give howag credit for persistance. I think he is learning. :)

I agree. but it takes time for the mind to open to new realities. I know my mind did not open overnight. But lucky for me it opened well before I joined AD.

Bott doesn't live in a spreading metropolis. She can tell you how busy the kitchen is.

I see it in a good way. He has that debative spirit in him and that kind of passionate advocacy helps the deaf community for its needs to promote awareness. He'd end up giving AGB a tough time should he be the agent on the right side. :cool2:

I am not sure why this is causing the uproar to the extent it is. I go to eat once a week approximately with a group and we have all had errors made in our orders even though I am the only one with a profound hearing loss. I can see how she would view it the way she did based on prior experience but there is also the matter of errors being made in orders or getting someone else's order just based on the number of orders being handled.

Everytime she goes alone, this happens? And everytime she goes with family, it doesn't? Boy, that's one suck-a** restaurant if they can't handle an individual order, every time. You do the math. :wave:

Back