Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

I do think times have changed somewhat as people are more sensitive to what is politically correct. However, kids act like kids and you're never going to completely get around it.

Trust me, if there are bad things going on it's not done in front of the teachers.

Howag, people are very sensitive this subject because it hits so close to home because people have had really bad experiences. It's just something you have to live through to understand. Don't take the comments here too seriously people get jazzed up about everything.

Thanks man, I was never claiming that everything was great now, just that it wasn't as bad as it used to be. I was just taking knowledge from other issues such as society's views on different ethnicities to illnesses like tourettes. I thought if progress was made on those fronts, surely progress would be made on the deaf front as well? It was never my intention to ruffle anyone's feathers.

I do think times have changed somewhat as people are more sensitive to what is politically correct. However, kids act like kids and you're never going to completely get around it.

Trust me, if there are bad things going on it's not done in front of the teachers.

Howag, people are very sensitive this subject because it hits so close to home because people have had really bad experiences. It's just something you have to live through to understand. Don't take the comments here too seriously people get jazzed up about everything.

Parents are still teaching their children to be bullies. Or at the very least not correcting them. Plus I see adults that behave this way nearly every day. I don't think there is enough "change" taking place. Still way to far to go.

Parents are still teaching their children to be bullies. Or at the very least not correcting them. Plus I see adults that behave this way nearly every day. I don't think there is enough "change" taking place. Still way to far to go.

I don't think you can deny we are living in a different age than the 60's and 70's. I think we have better race relations and better laws for people with disabilities. Do I think it's perfect? No, but things have changed due to legal and technological changes.

The things you hear more frequently today are things that have always happened, but, due to technology, everyone hears about it today. This is a major change, but don't mistake it for the fact that there is more of it, you're just hearing more of it. And, this is a good thing because before you wouldn't hear any of it, but it also makes people more paranoid.

The same rules apply as when you were a kid, "Don't talk to strangers".

I don't think you can deny we are living in a different age than the 60's and 70's. I think we have better race relations and better laws for people with disabilities. Do I think it's perfect? No, but things have changed due to legal and technological changes.

The things you hear more frequently today are things that have always happened, but, due to technology, everyone hears about it today. This is a major change, but don't mistake it for the fact that there is more of it, you're just hearing more of it. And, this is a good thing because before you wouldn't hear any of it, but it also makes people more paranoid.

Yes, access has changed/improved. But attitudes have not. Try building a relationship with someone based on access.... Now try building a relationship based on attitude. If you want to participate in society and be valued by society, attitudes need to change.

Yes, access has changed/improved. But attitudes have not. Try building a relationship with someone based on access.... Now try building a relationship based on attitude. If you want to participate in society and be valued by society, attitudes need to change.

The law forces you to participate, IMO. However, my point is: Changing the law changes the result and hopefully the attitude too. Personally, I don't care what the attitude is because we don't have to like each other to get along. If it bothers someone to have to get me a louder phone, I really couldn't care less. Although, I do think you will find more sensitive people today than you would have in the past because of the law and that is a change in how people interact in society.

You obviously do not live the same life that I live. I suspect a number of other people here would agree with me.

Laws may have changed. But the ingrained attitudes persist. You can choose to ignore the audist around you. I cannot.

Don't take the comments too seriously? How insensitive can you get? These are not just comments; they are the real life experiences of PEOPLE. The fact that the majority don't take them seriously is exactly what allows audism and all of its ugly consequences to continue unchecked. With remarks like that, it is obvious that you are not part of the solution. You are part of the problem.

You live in the world of white male privilege. So obvious from your remarks. You have no idea what the real world is like.

The law forces you to participate, IMO. However, my point is: Changing the law changes the result and hopefully the attitude too. Personally, I don't care what the attitude is because we don't have to like each other to get along. If it bothers someone to have to get me a louder phone, I really couldn't care less. Although, I do think you will find more sensitive people today than you would have in the past because of the law and that is a change in how people interact in society.

Changing the law does not necessarily change the result not the attitude.:roll: Nor does changing the law result in increased sensitivity to the issues.:roll:

Impossible, same idea for rasict, do they change their attitudes toward others. not!

Who cares about less or more racism or discrimination? It still exists. And for those of us who experienced any form of that, we know the hurt that comes with that. There's no need for someone to question "are you sure that's what really happened?"

Who cares about less or more racism or discrimination? It still exists. And for those of us who experienced any form of that, we know the hurt that comes with that. There's no need for someone to question "are you sure that's what really happened?"

Well it's a good thing i didn't ask that question then...

Well it's a good thing i didn't ask that question then...

Are you experiencing short term memory problems? That is exactly what you asked when you questioned the motive of the restaurant personnel waiting on Bott. That is exactly what you are implying by sitting back and telling the deaf that bullying is not as bad as it used to be.

Seriously, young man, you need to stop and think before you type.

Are you experiencing short term memory problems? That is exactly what you asked when you questioned the motive of the restaurant personnel waiting on Bott. That is exactly what you are implying by sitting back and telling the deaf that bullying is not as bad as it used to be.

Seriously, young man, you need to stop and think before you type.

You make it sound like i was questioning whether she was correct about the events that happened. I was asking if there could not have been another reason for the mix up. Like i said before, i thought there was a possibilty tha due to some bad experiences in the past it could have resulted in the clouding of judgement. I was purely throwing ideas out there. I'm not telling people that bullying isn't as bad as it used to be but when i say that i think times have changed, only to be told i'm wrong with that as an example, you can't blame me for being slightly skeptic.

Back