Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

But do you not think that perhaps the amount of deaf people bullied have maybe gone down?

Why do you keep questioning what the deaf are telling you? You ask the question, you are given an answer, and you ask the question again. It would appear that you are attempting to manipulate the answer you want, rather than accepting the answer you are given.

You say you are here to learn. Stop arguing and minimizing, and pay attention to what you are being told. People are trying to help you learn, and you are resisting the efforts.

Locate good reporter that is concerned about discrimination and say you absolutely cannot use my name but "XXX" restaurant did this to me. Reporter could then go to restaurant under disguise of being blind and then report to public.

Find a reporter that wants to do a piece on social consciousness in today's society. Bott could be an anonymous example. If she wants to carry it that direction.

:hmm: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/95010-mercy-settles-suit-over-lack-sign-language-interpreters.html

Read this thread. Unfortunately it isn't still in the newpaper archives.

But when it came out in the paper, you would have been amazed at the comments people left.

And not on the side of the deaf. The public was annoyed and didn't feel deaf people should expect an interpreter.

The amount of ignorance and outright hostility of the general public, is saddening.

Yes, and it is a huge obstacle to getting more Deaf on the advocacy bandwagon. I certainly cannot blame anyone for not wanting to put themselves in that position.

Surely if they're related to "audism" I can expect to get a fairly one sided view of how the hearing view the deaf? But i was asking for your opinion. You seem to think that i need to "guess again", would you not agree with me that today's society views the deaf differently to what it once did? I'm not trying to minimize anything, but i was simply raising a question with what she said.

Keep reading.... use the word audism (or audist) in the search box for any posts. You got here very recently. If you want to know more about the deaf people's point of view, you gotta comb thru AD and the internet for information.

Things haven't change even from 1880's. The hearing people keep ignore our complains and our needs and still do today. My view is that the CI is the outcome of pro-oral movement that started in 1880's.

Read about Milan Conference in 1880. History intro If you can afford, get "When the Mind Hears" by Harlan Lane. It is on Amazon.co.uk. This book covers on history of the deaf.

If I demand that hearing children learn by lipreading only (as in mouthing the words - no voice) from their infancy throughout their life, would they learn as much as if they would have if the voices are allowed? No and you probably would call me a child abuser. That is what happened to the deaf kids in 1880's where the hearing aids weren't invented then (CI wasn't even dreamed of). Now do you see why I consider Alexander Graham Bell and the likes to be child abusers??

If they are so concerned about inclusion of the deaf people in the hearing society, why don't they learn sign language instead of demanding that we learn to speak??? Read up about Martha's Vineyard back in 18th and 19th centuries - "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language Here" by Nora Ellen Groce.

Keep on reading and surfing.

Edit: One more thing.... look at this link BSLBT > Zoom > www.bslbt.co.uk/zoom/films/zoom_focus_2011/the_end/ which is very moving for me.

Last edited:
Find a reporter that wants to do a piece on social consciousness in today's society. Bott could be an anonymous example. If she wants to carry it that direction.

Or Botti or the reporter can find another blind people (or deaf/blind) to test out the restaurant.

The person who tests the restaurant doesn't have to be blind. He just has appear to be blind.

Yes, and it is a huge obstacle to getting more Deaf on the advocacy bandwagon. I certainly cannot blame anyone for not wanting to put themselves in that position.

I saw a thread about that deaf man who got tasered to the death in NC in Democratic Underground and some of the comments on him were ... disturbing both from a racist pov and a deaf pov that thread. I'd hate to think of what they'd say on a RW site.

Also, sorry but why have you only just learnt about sign language this year if you were born deaf/hh?

Many deaf were not allowed to learn sign language on the false premise that it would prevent them from speaking.

But as of now they are SO freaking audist and "ASL is just for kids who can't hear or speak well enough.' WHY?!?! Why not have BOTH?!?!

Yep.

I remember in the HI grade school program, I was told that I would go to Gallaudet. I didn't really know what that was at the time, but later on I figured it out.

Here's the strange thing. If a HI teacher then told me I'd go to a deaf university... why didn't they teach me sign language? Isn't that what's used in the classes there to teach??

Then they never mentioned Gallaudet or any other school again.

Just messed up.

Yep.

I remember in the HI grade school program, I was told that I would go to Gallaudet. I didn't really know what that was at the time, but later on I figured it out.

Here's the strange thing. If a HI teacher then told me I'd go to a deaf university... why didn't they teach me sign language? Isn't that what's used in the classes there to teach??

Just messed up.

Yeh, big time. It tells me about your teacher's priorities and not in a good way.

Many deaf were not allowed to learn sign language on the false premise that it would prevent them from speaking.

*SO* true and feel, how say, impatient to express how frustate that is for people who prefer speak with hands. *Need* speak with hands. *Natural* speak with hands. *SO* sick of that ignorance. Wish feel *SO* frustrate years ago. :giggle:

Yep.

Just messed up.

To bolded...NO DOUBT!

Howag, how dare you come deaf website, proceed tell deaf people we wrong our experiences? How dare you?

I'm not saying anyone's experience is wrong, I was simply raising a question with what was said.

I'm not saying anyone's experience is wrong, I was simply raising a question with what was said.

Howag - I wish things were better. Some things have improved, but the general population still has no clue. In some ways it's worse because people blatantly ignore the information that is right in front of them. In the past they could claim ignorance... today they should know better. :nono:

:hmm: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/95010-mercy-settles-suit-over-lack-sign-language-interpreters.html

Read this thread. Unfortunately it isn't still in the newpaper archives.

But when it came out in the paper, you would have been amazed at the comments people left.

And not on the side of the deaf. The public was annoyed and didn't feel deaf people should expect an interpreter.

The amount of ignorance and outright hostility of the general public, is saddening.

Agree about the hostility and ignorance. I think everyone everywhere needs to take a couple of classes on how to be decent human beings, maybe give us a little bit of an edge (or difference) between us as humans and animals.

On a side note off topic .Our local paper put out an article 2 weeks ago about how in the state of WV there are over 400 Deaf/HoH children in the school system but only 75 registered interpreters, that to me is a major lack of interpreters. My son has had two different ones since he started school in March. Not that it has anything to do with the settlement article or anything just thought I would share :)

I feel bad for the people who were bullied during their school years but i can't help but feel that times have changed? There aren't any deaf people in my 6th form but i like to think that if there were, nobody would make fun of them. But that's just me...

I do think times have changed somewhat as people are more sensitive to what is politically correct. However, kids act like kids and you're never going to completely get around it.

Trust me, if there are bad things going on it's not done in front of the teachers.

Howag, people are very sensitive this subject because it hits so close to home because people have had really bad experiences. It's just something you have to live through to understand. Don't take the comments here too seriously people get jazzed up about everything.

Back