Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

Well how would you describe today's society views the deaf community? Would you say it hasn't moved on at all? I might not be doing a massive amount to make sure things change in the future, but I'm on this website to learn as well...

Start reading. There are any number of threads that discuss the hearing population's views of the deaf. You might start with any thread related to audism.

Accept what the deaf tell you their experience is, and has been. Don't try to minimize it by saying, "Maybe you misunderstood." These are the experiences of real people, and the effects they have on them are real. It is easy to fail to grasp the human impact when you are sitting behind a computer screen.

It was an ignorant opinion that led to this restaurant's employee's behavior. That ignorance, no doubt, stems from a lack of exposure. However, that is no excuse for attempting to take advantage of another.

If I were Botti would go to press and share story. Think restaurant clean up act *real* quick.

I don't deny it but my original point was that i think times have changed? Not saying that it's all perfect now but i just guessed that it's not as a bad as it once was...

Times have not changed. This whole thread is proof of that. Go back and read how deaf/hoh students were and are bullied today.

If society is aware of the deaf and deaf community at all, they are barely aware.

It wasn't until this year that I started to learn about deaf community and sign language. It took until my 30s before I really began to realize what's here.

I'm deaf, and I was barely aware until now. So what do you suppose the awareness level of most hearies are, when they don't have to be aware of it to get by in life?

Start reading. There are any number of threads that discuss the hearing population's views of the deaf. You might start with any thread related to audism.

Accept what the deaf tell you their experience is, and has been. Don't try to minimize it by saying, "Maybe you misunderstood." These are the experiences of real people, and the effects they have on them are real. It is easy to fail to grasp the human impact when you are sitting behind a computer screen.

Surely if they're related to "audism" I can expect to get a fairly one sided view of how the hearing view the deaf? But i was asking for your opinion. You seem to think that i need to "guess again", would you not agree with me that today's society views the deaf differently to what it once did? I'm not trying to minimize anything, but i was simply raising a question with what she said.

Times have not changed. This whole thread is proof of that. Go back and read how deaf/hoh students were and are bullied today.

If society is aware of the deaf and deaf community at all, they are barely aware.

It wasn't until this year that I started to learn about deaf community and sign language. It took until my 30s before I really began to realize what's here.

I'm deaf, and I was barely aware until now. So what do you suppose the awareness level of most hearies are, when they don't have to be aware of it to get by in life?

But do you not think that perhaps the amount of deaf people bullied have maybe gone down?

Also, sorry but why have you only just learnt about sign language this year if you were born deaf/hh?

But do you not think that perhaps the amount of deaf people bullied have maybe gone down?

No. I see no evidence of that. I keep seeing deaf/hoh kids who had the same experiences I did growing up.

Also, sorry but why have you only just learnt about sign language this year if you were born deaf/hh?

Because of a stupid educational idea that deaf/hoh kids should be educated and raised without the use of sign langauge. This is called "oralism." There are a LOT of deaf/hoh kids raised this way. We are forced to get by in the world, basically trying to pretend to be hearies. We can't truly hear like hearies can, so we have to compensate by using lipreading, body languge and so on. It's a joke.

Watch this short film (less than 30 minutes) to understand what that's like.

BSLBT > British Sign Language Broadcasting Trust > My Song

:shock:

Uh, because many of us were *forced* to be 'Oral' Deaf and denied our language because hearie parents wanted us to be normal 'pretend' hearies.:roll:

If I were Botti would go to press and share story. Think restaurant clean up act *real* quick.

I doubt it would help, and it would also advertise me to the community as a person who might be defenseless.

Low profile, (and carrying a big stick) is the route to a long life.

I doubt it would help, and it would also advertise me to the community as a person who might be defenseless.

Low profile, (and carrying a big stick) is the route to a long life.

You could do 'off record' couldn't you?

I have no idea.

Locate good reporter that is concerned about discrimination and say you absolutely cannot use my name but "XXX" restaurant did this to me. Reporter could then go to restaurant under disguise of being blind and then report to public.

Locate good reporter that is concerned about discrimination and say you absolutely cannot use my name but "XXX" restaurant did this to me. Reporter could then go to restaurant under disguise of being blind and then report to public.

:hmm: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/95010-mercy-settles-suit-over-lack-sign-language-interpreters.html

Read this thread. Unfortunately it isn't still in the newpaper archives.

But when it came out in the paper, you would have been amazed at the comments people left.

And not on the side of the deaf. The public was annoyed and didn't feel deaf people should expect an interpreter.

The amount of ignorance and outright hostility of the general public, is saddening.

:hmm: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/95010-mercy-settles-suit-over-lack-sign-language-interpreters.html

Read this thread. Unfortunately it isn't still in the newpaper archives.

But when it came out in the paper, you would have been amazed at the comments people left.

And not on the side of the deaf. The public was annoyed and didn't feel deaf people should expect an interpreter.

The amount of ignorance and outright hostility of the general public, is saddening.

Is just unbelievable. And buddy in this very thread thinks things have improved for the Deaf? :roll:

No. I see no evidence of that. I keep seeing deaf/hoh kids who had the same experiences I did growing up.

Because of a stupid educational idea that deaf/hoh kids should be educated and raised without the use of sign langauge. This is called "oralism." There are a LOT of deaf/hoh kids raised this way. We are forced to get by in the world, basically trying to pretend to be hearies. We can't truly hear like hearies can, so we have to compensate by using lipreading, body languge and so on. It's a joke.

JUst watched the film, powerful stuff, you were raised like this?

Howag, how dare you come deaf website, proceed tell deaf people we wrong our experiences? How dare you?

As do I. I see SOME kids who would have been oralized, being sent to Deaf Schools or programs. Which rocks!!!!! But I see a lot of the same mistakes being made by pro inclusionists who just cannot and do not understand that inclusion isn't something innovative any more.
I also am SO anti oral only b/c it seems to have turned into more of an auditory verbal "the hearing world is the best thing in the universe" mentality. There is NOTHING wrong with, say for example a kid being raised orally at first,(if they are very carefully monitored) and then learning ASL asa second language. If oralists promoted learning ASL as a second language, I would actually support them more!!! Believe it or not!!! But as of now they are SO freaking audist and "ASL is just for kids who can't hear or speak well enough.' WHY?!?! Why not have BOTH?!?!

I came across this piece of research today that showed deaf/HoH kids who are mainstreamed suffer from greater attachment and individuation problems than deaf children in special programs. It shows (with usual scholarly qualifications) that there's something very damaging for deaf/HoH children raised in a mainstream educational environment - it negatively impacts on their self-esteem and ability to form close intimate relationships as adults. It also quotes another piece of research that shows mainstreamers suffer far more anxiety than deaf children bought up in special education.

Read the full article below:
http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/10/1/51.full.pdf

Which is why AG Bell needs to stop promoting oral only as the be all and end all of a dhh kid's existence. Yes, oral skills ROCK.....But they shouldn't be the only tool a dhh kid has. Seriously, i saw this at the Clarke conference...kids were misrable and had NO friends...but yet they were constantly being told "oh social skills aren't that big of a deal! The important thing is ORAL oral and even more oral! Mainstream life is the best!

Surely if they're related to "audism" I can expect to get a fairly one sided view of how the hearing view the deaf? But i was asking for your opinion. You seem to think that i need to "guess again", would you not agree with me that today's society views the deaf differently to what it once did? I'm not trying to minimize anything, but i was simply raising a question with what she said.

My opinion is clearly stated in many, many threads on this forum.

No, I don't agree with you, unless you want to go back to say, the 17th and 18th centuries. In modern history, no. Society's views, as a whole, regarding the deaf have not changed significantly.

Back