Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

I am aware of your opinion. Others disagree. That is why I suggest parents seek all available information and keep an open mind.

others? *looking behind you* there's nobody there.

In response to Jane B. I definitely think deaf and hoh do have it worse being bullied than overweight kids. And i think a lot of those kids see that. You can lose weight but you did not cause yourself to be hoh or deaf, you have no control over that. No way I'd compare the two but I've heard a lot more parents go to bat for kids being called "fat" than standing up for making fun of kids teased for being deaf and hoh. But I'm sure different groups feel differently. But again being overweight doesn't affect communication and many other factors.

Because of a lot of reasons but I think the media has a lot to do with the idea that there is a cure for deafness or that we all need or want to be cured.

People go nuts thinking there is a "cure "
On arguing about education who's to say who got a " real education" or not? I didn't attend a Deaf school ( bc I wasn't deaf and only moderately hard of hearing, plus my parents had my mainstreamed from day 1) but it seems like it's been good and bad just like mainstreaming in college had it's challenges. I went to a regular undergrad and graduate school and graduate school was so much easier because it was group projects and presentations, where undergrad was mainly lectures. I've no idea who had the better education I can just say everyone's experiences are different, but the ONE thing I feel should have done is to have learned ASL in elementary school on. I did take it in college as an elective and took classes in grad school(not long ago) and now. That is where my parents and the school failed. My mom made them teach me lip reading in elementary and middle, along with speech but never ASL. Short comment on my Dad he did not want me to associate with anything that involved the deaf at all and would bully me at times because of my hearing. It did not help.

Any typos do not reflect on my education. I'm tired lol

others? *looking behind you* there's nobody there.

I didn't say on AD. Although there are some here as well. They tend to avoid the subject here because they get tired of the harassment.

I didn't say on AD. Although there are some here as well. They tend to avoid the subject here because they get tired of the harassment.

I didn't say in AD either. and you're incorrect - they're avoiding because they're realizing the choice they've made and that their children will end up like us.

like I said... a vicious cycle.

I didn't say in AD either. and you're incorrect - they're avoiding because they're realizing the choice they've made and that their children will end up like us.

I disagree.

It is a vicious cycle.

I wish more parents could/would come here and read how some of us experienced our school years. There is a wide age range of posters here, so not all stories are "old" like 40 years, but even as recent as the past few years. Things have changed, and for the better, I think, but there are still a lot of negative placements.

I'm sorry you feel that way. fortunately - you're not raising a deaf child. one less deaf child from a vicious cycle.

Oh well. You are certainly entitled to that opinion. We will have to agree to disagree.

It is a vicious cycle.

I wish more parents could/would come here and read how some of us experienced our school years. There is a wide age range of posters here, so not all stories are "old" like 40 years, but even as recent as the past few years. Things have changed, and for the better, I think, but there are still a lot of negative placements.

The stories of others is definitely something parents should weigh. No doubt about that.

Oh well. You are certainly entitled to that opinion. We will have to agree to disagree.

the day you'll say something non-generic is the day a tsunami hits NYC

It is a vicious cycle.

I KNOW...........A thousand times YES! I think that a lot of parents may think that public schools are better then they are. Like it still seems like the Highest Ideal, is neighborhood school, with a minimal accomondations setting.
I don't really see a lot of arguments for a residental school setting ( a la the 60's and 70's before the public law advocating mainstreaming was pushed) But I do see a lot of "be very careful...look into Deaf Schools/programs as an option." Here's a question. If the mainstream is so good, then how come there have been NEW Signing programs/schools founded?!?! I also think people have forgotten that public school doesn't always mean a suburban wealthy school with all the resources.....A lot of public schools SUCK....Would you mainstream your kid in East St. Louis, Gary Indiana, a meth ridden Montana town, and other hellholes? There's been a huge debate over how crappy public schooling is.....why is it suddenly a good place for dhh kids now?

I KNOW...........A thousand times YES! I think that a lot of parents may think that public schools are better then they are. Like it still seems like the Highest Ideal, is neighborhood school, with a minimal accomondations setting.
I don't really see a lot of arguments for a residental school setting ( a la the 60's and 70's before the public law advocating mainstreaming was pushed) But I do see a lot of "be very careful...look into Deaf Schools/programs as an option." Here's a question. If the mainstream is so good, then how come there have been NEW Signing programs/schools founded?!?! I also think people have forgotten that public school doesn't always mean a suburban wealthy school with all the resources.....A lot of public schools SUCK....Would you mainstream your kid in East St. Louis, Gary Indiana, a meth ridden Montana town, and other hellholes? There's been a huge debate over how crappy public schooling is.....why is it suddenly a good place for dhh kids now?

Obviously those would be things informed parents would weigh.

It is a vicious cycle.

Fortunately, some did so that's great. On the other hand, there are the others who viciously support all avenues including the ones that have been proved to do more harm than good to deaf children which is that oral-only philosophy without allowing children to learn ASL or interact with other Deaf children.

It is a vicious cycle.

Right, I think some of hearing kids of the deaf parents or siblings or cousins need to read this forum too.

Fortunately, some did so that's great. On the other hand, there are the others who viciously support all avenues including the ones that have been proved to do more harm than good to deaf children which is that oral-only philosophy without allowing children to learn ASL or interact with other Deaf children.

Exactly. A very outdated philsophy in other words. I really want to say to those parents " this isn't 1975 any more, and mainstream teachers aren't impressed by dhh kids who can speak. Instead most of the time, the kids are lumped in with special ed........Even sped teachers don't get a lot of training on how to teach dhh (or other low incidence kids)

Exactly. A very outdated philsophy in other words. I really want to say to those parents " this isn't 1975 any more, and mainstream teachers aren't impressed by dhh kids who can speak. Instead most of the time, the kids are lumped in with special ed........Even sped teachers don't get a lot of training on how to teach dhh (or other low incidence kids)

If that is true, they will discover that when researching the school obviously.

Back