Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

Some people see it as such. When a child is subjected to a school environment that is mean, ridiculed, beat up, hurt, etc. (and this actually goes for ANY child, deaf or not) and the parents don't do anything about it, (which DOES happen for many deaf children -- I lived to tell about it now), what would you like to call it?

Certainly not child abuse. Some kids have no choice and have to attend schools like that due to finances.

Certainly not child abuse. Some kids have no choice and have to attend schools like that due to finances.

Sending a child to a deaf school doesn't have to cost the parent a single cent.

it will become the law. clearly no doubt.

We will see. I doubt you will find many lawmakers that want to take school decisions out of parents hands and force kids into special schools.

I was referring to all kids. It is up to parents to decide what is best for their kids.

It isn't always, and authority can step in in cases where the parenting is clearly inappropriate.

It isn't always, and authority can step in in cases where the parenting is clearly inappropriate.

Yup, but I seriously doubt they are going to go after parents who are making decisions for their children.....especially when it is based on medical advice.

We will see. I doubt you will find many lawmakers that want to take school decisions out of parents hands and force kids into special schools.

huh? there are already dozens of laws that take decisions out of parents' hands.

I certainly don't blame the lawmakers because parents are just too stupid/stubborn to see it.

this case is no different from any existing child abuse laws.

Yup, but I seriously doubt they are going to go after parents who are making decisions for their children.....especially when it is based on medical advice.

medical? oh gee... so you see it like a vaccination example :roll:

by making that statement - you clearly have no idea in this issue at all. is putting a child with down syndrome into special education a medical advice? is choosing a wheelchair or prosthetic leg a medical advice? :roll:

quibbling. that's all you're doing. meddling around... distracting parents away from real issue. just a real damn shame. to deny an access to education is illegal.

I don't believe that analogy fits. And again, ultimately that is for the parent to decide.

No, u do t have to believe that it fits. Your decision.

I see differently. I see it as teaching the child not to accept people who don't fit into the parent`s mold of life.

huh? there are already dozens of laws that take decisions out of parents' hands.

I certainly don't blame the lawmakers because parents are just too stupid/stubborn to see it.

this case is no different from any existing child abuse laws.

Tremendously different.

medical? oh gee... so you see it like a vaccination example :roll:

by making that statement - you clearly have no idea in this issue at all. is putting a child with down syndrome into special education a medical advice? is choosing a wheelchair or prosthetic leg a medical advice? :roll:

quibbling. that's all you're doing. meddling around... distracting parents away from real issue. just a real damn shame. to deny an access to education is illegal.

You obviously misunderstood.

My advice to parents is simply to be informed and seek information from a variety of factual sources. Remain open-minded.

Tremendously different.

You obviously misunderstood.

as expected from a quibbler. there's no convincing you any further. that's exactly what we're deeply concerned about. many parents are exactly like you. just a shame. we grew up as deaf people. you grew up as hearing person. so do parents. so that's just that. there's no convincing you any further. another continuing vicious cycle for deaf children. fortunately - we have few hearing people in here who truly understand us.

as expected from a quibbler. there's no convincing you any further. that's exactly what we're deeply concerned about. many parents are exactly like you. just a shame. we grew up as deaf people. you grew up as hearing people. so do parents. so that's just that. there's no convincing you any further.

Exactly like me? I would hope so but I am not that optimistic. I was extremely proactive in choosing the course of my child's education. I made sure to evaluate every piece of information I could get my hands on. I didn't settle for the opinions of others. I looked for results and the best fit for my kid. It worked out well. If all parents are like that I am happy.

as expected from a quibbler. there's no convincing you any further. that's exactly what we're deeply concerned about. many parents are exactly like you. just a shame. we grew up as deaf people. you grew up as hearing person. so do parents. so that's just that. there's no convincing you any further. another continuing vicious cycle for deaf children. fortunately - we have few hearing people in here who truly understand us.

Nice late edit....

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that I am against deaf schools. You should try to pay more attention if you are going to debate my posts. That is highly inaccurate.

Exactly like me? I would hope so but I am not that optimistic. I was extremely proactive in choosing the course of my child's education. I made sure to evaluate every piece of information I could get my hands on. I didn't settle for the opinions of others. I looked for results and the best fit for my kid. It worked out well. If all parents are like that I am happy.

irrelevant. apple-orange. I'm sorry you can't understand. this is not about choosing a good school. this is about setting a course for child's future so that he/she does not have to struggle or be treated differently.

no deaf child should ever be placed in a special education or receive "special" diploma. it's already been proven that deaf children and hearing children coexisting together in a same class does work. no special education is needed. no special accommodation is needed. it's cost-effective and yields a high success rate even if one method fails such as BiBi program which means... more than one method at the same time.

Nice late edit....

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that I am against deaf schools. You should try to pay more attention if you are going to debate my posts. That is highly inaccurate.

I've never said that or even implied it. Quite a wrong assumption you've made there.

I'm saying you are not showing any support. You're in fact trivializing our concern and disregarding our deaf experience. You're just sitting there and shrugging around - "not my problem. it's parents' problem. they're just doing the best they can and that's just good enough for me."

irrelevant. apple-orange. I'm sorry you can't understand. this is not about choosing a good school. this is about setting a course for child's future so that he/she does not have to struggle or be treated differently.

no deaf child should ever be placed in a special education or receive "special" diploma. it's already been proven that deaf children and hearing children coexisting together in a same class does work. no special education is needed. no special accommodation is needed. it's cost-effective and yields a high success rate even if one method fails such as BiBi program which means... more than one method at the same time.

I am aware of your opinion. Others disagree. That is why I suggest parents seek all available information and keep an open mind.

I've never said that or even implied it. Quite a wrong assumption you've made there.

I'm saying you are not showing any support. You're in fact trivializing our concern and disregarding our deaf experience. You're just sitting there and shrugging around - "not my problem. it's parents' problem. they're just doing the best they can and that's just good enough for me."

Correct, I am not showing support for one particular course of action. I believe each child is different and that they deserve to be assessed individually. I am advising parents to keep an open mind and consider all information available to them.

Back