Are 3-wheel crotch rockets called "trikes"?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today Hubby and I were in Myrtle Beach and saw lots of riders on sport bikes for "Black Biker Week". Very interesting. One new thing (new to us anyway) were the three-wheel crotch rockets. They are different from regular motorcycle trikes, such as Honda or Harley. They have the two wheels in the front, and one wheel in the back. They were pretty cool looking but I'm not sure how they ride or handle. Is anyone else familiar with these? Do you still call them trikes?

new to me ... interesting and wondered how or where did you spell this? as thought of tricycle something like that...

Nope, that's not it. The bodies looked like regular Yamaha or Kawasaki or Suzuki sport bikes, except wider in the front with two wheels, and one regular wheel in the back. The riders rode them in regular sport bike position. Two of them (matching gold ones) turned left in front of us at an intersection so I could clearly see them at different angles. The third one we saw passed by on the road, so we saw it from the side. I was hoping to see one parked somewhere so I could take a picture but no such luck.

If you want... take a look at this wiki
Tricycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in Motorized tricycles section and read the last paragraph in that section. there are several links for different makers.
Thank you for the link. It was very interesting.

I'm afraid none of those tricycles looked like the ones we saw. Maybe they were customized.

"Reverse trike" sounds like a plausible name for them.

Your first link of the Spyder looked the closest.

Today Hubby and I were in Myrtle Beach and saw lots of riders on sport bikes for "Black Biker Week". Very interesting. One new thing (new to us anyway) were the three-wheel crotch rockets. They are different from regular motorcycle trikes, such as Honda or Harley. They have the two wheels in the front, and one wheel in the back. They were pretty cool looking but I'm not sure how they ride or handle. Is anyone else familiar with these? Do you still call them trikes?

ye there's 2 company making'em right now... I guess u would call them Trike for right now???

T-rex Link
TREX - DRIVEN BY EVOLUTION

Can-Am Link
BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster

ye there's 2 company making'em right now... I guess u would call them Trike for right now???

T-rex Link
TREX - DRIVEN BY EVOLUTION

Can-Am Link
BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster
Thanks for the cool links. Hubby and I enjoyed browsing them. :)

What we saw was probably the Spyder. I know it was not the TRex because we saw a motorcycle. The TRex has recumbent seating and steering wheel like a car.

Also, the gold color on the Spyder is what we saw on two of them.

Back