Apple refuses to unlock San Bernardino terrorists phone for FBI investigation

Alright, in order to unlock that iphone, Apple would have to unlock its customers' iphones as well? It doesn't make sense at all. Period.

Apple should cooperate and doesn't need to BS like it did recently.

Alright, in order to unlock that iphone, Apple would have to unlock its customers' iphones as well? It doesn't make sense at all. Period.

Apple should cooperate and doesn't need to BS like it did recently.

Not since iOS 8 - Apple stay out of customer's iPhone and it is full customer's control so Apple can't crack or reset anymore.

It is addressed because of wake of NSA incident and Eric Snowden.

Apple's response is not a surprise, as it is the same thing the company has said several times in the past. Since iOS 8, Apple has stopped storing encryption keys for devices, making it impossible for the company to unlock iPhones and iPads under police request. Without an encryption key, Apple cannot bypass a passcode to gain access to an iOS device.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/20/apple-ios-device-encryption-ios-8/

Read Apple's statement
http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/answers/

Whoa... wait a minute

If Apple can't unlock anyone's iphone, why doesn't Apple tell FBI that?

I read some articles and they don't mention that Apple can't help FBI because they are not able to unlock it.

If it were me and I can't unlock it, I would tell FBI that I am not able to unlock it. Simple as that.

However, Apple announced that it refuses to do it. WTF? Can they unlock it but they refuse to do it? Or they can't unlock it but it doesn't tell FBI about that?

What's the real story?

Whoa... wait a minute

If Apple can't unlock anyone's iphone, why doesn't Apple tell FBI that?

I read some articles and they don't mention that Apple can't help FBI because they are not able to unlock it.

If it were me and I can't unlock it, I would tell FBI that I am not able to unlock it. Simple as that.

However, Apple announced that it refuses to do it. WTF? Can they unlock it but they refuse to do it? Or they can't unlock it but it doesn't tell FBI about that?

What's the real story?

Apple did tell to FBI but FBI don't like it.

#104 applies to ALL federal agencies and they no longer able to crack the customer's iPhone after iOS 8.

Apple said enough, enough and enough, that it.

Don't like it, don't buy Apple products.

Apple did tell to FBI but FBI don't like it.

#104 applies to ALL federal agencies and they no longer able to crack the customer's iPhone after iOS 8.

Apple said enough, enough and enough, that it.

Don't like it, don't buy Apple products.
Oh, FBI is aware that it can't be unlocked by the company? Why did the court order Apple to unlock it? It doesn't make sense. Maybe Apple is lying?

Oh, FBI is aware that it can't be unlocked by the company? Why did the court order Apple to unlock it? It doesn't make sense. Maybe Apple is lying?

No, Apple isn't lying and Apple clearly claimed after iOS 8, they no longer to store encryption so it make impossible to crack the iPhone.

Apple could try in extreme cases but it is not possible to unlock the iPhone but Apple is still STICKING with promise to all customers after wake of NSA incident.

FBI already know that after iOS 8 isn't hackable but they don't like about what Apple is doing so FBI wants to blame, blame, blame on Apple so FBI is in damage control.

No, Apple isn't lying and Apple clearly claimed after iOS 8, they no longer to store encryption so it make impossible to crack the iPhone.

Apple could try in extreme cases but it is not possible to unlock the iPhone but Apple is still STICKING with promise to all customers after wake of NSA incident.

FBI already know that after iOS 8 isn't hackable but they don't like about what Apple is doing so FBI wants to blame, blame, blame on Apple so FBI is in damage control.
OIC, how come most of the articles don't mention that Apple can't help FBI because they can't unlock the iphone? Instead, Apple announced that they won't cooperate with FBI. Again, what's the real story?

If Apple can't actually unlock this iphone, then it's FBI's problem.

OIC, how come most of the articles don't mention that Apple can't help FBI because they can't unlock the iphone? Instead, Apple announced that they won't cooperate with FBI. Again, what's the real story?

If Apple can't actually unlock this iphone, then it's FBI's problem.

Oh wow, you must have difficulty to understand the phrase.

The court forced Apple to help FBI to crack the iPhone but Apple can't help FBI anymore after Apple no longer store encryption keys and make impossible to crack all iPhone whichever run after iOS 8 so it will require software upgrade, also it will be breach of Apple's promise to customers.

Apple is adhering with promise to all customers so they aren't going help FBI.

If you can't understand so I can't help you anymore so you need to read again and again.

Oh wow, you must have difficulty to understand the phrase.

The court forced Apple to help FBI to crack the iPhone but Apple can't help FBI anymore after Apple no longer store encryption keys and make impossible to crack all iPhone whichever run after iOS 8 so it will require software upgrade, also it will be breach of Apple's promise to customers.

Apple is adhering with promise to all customers so they aren't going help FBI.

If you can't understand so I can't help you anymore so you need to read again and again.
I understand that you said that Apple can't unlock any iphones that have iOS 8. Why did the court order Apple to unlock it? It doesn't make sense. Didn't Apple tell the court "We can't unlock it because it has iOS 8"?

I understand that you said that Apple can't unlock any iphones that have iOS 8. Why did the court order Apple to unlock it? It doesn't make sense. Didn't Apple tell the court "We can't unlock it because it has iOS 8"?

Apple did tell to FBI and court but they won't move on. FBI is well known for corruption and lying (see Stein and Jiro's posts everywhere)

It is just like forcing Dish TV to carry more black channels in HD, even they don't have enough satellite's capacity to carry more channels.

Apple did tell to FBI and court but they won't move on. FBI is well known for corruption and lying (see Stein and Jiro's posts everywhere)

It is just like forcing Dish TV to carry more black channels in HD, even they don't have enough satellite's capacity to carry more channels.
I still don't get it because in nationwide news, Apple didn't say that it can't unlock the terrorist's iphone that belonged to his employer. Did ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN announce in their news that Apple is not able to unlock it?

I still don't get it because in nationwide news, Apple didn't say that it can't unlock the terrorist's iphone that belonged to his employer. Did ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN announce in their news that Apple is not able to unlock it?

If you think so, ask them, not me.

It isn't under my watch.

Because these days nationwide media is extremely biased and slanted and will report whatever they want in however fashion they want without saying everything. (witness the current deal with election- no no need to reply to that).

So I would not believe everything that the media presents. Betting that the FBI is still pushing because they THINK Apple is either hiding something or they can create a program/app to bypass the non-stored encryption keys. The FBI in general or at least the agents on the case I don't think are very well versed with technology like that.

Because these days nationwide media is extremely biased and slanted and will report whatever they want in however fashion they want without saying everything. (witness the current deal with election- no no need to reply to that).

So I would not believe everything that the media presents. Betting that the FBI is still pushing because they THINK Apple is either hiding something or they can create a program/app to bypass the non-stored encryption keys. The FBI in general or at least the agents on the case I don't think are very well versed with technology like that.

The media is busy with Trump right now.

At first glance
its good apple is showing a backbone in this....rare as it is.
That stated i can't shake the feeling this is all smoke and mirrors.

yep... like I said - Peter Norton was a good-for-nothing hack. and I knew the government would be able to do it because all you gotta do is find the exploits which are already documented since it's using outdated iOS software.... which is already patched up by now. the method used for this terrorist's phone will not work on current version.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news/companies/fbi-apple-iphone-case-cracked/index.html
"The FBI has now successfully retrieved the data stored on the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple required by this Court Order," DOJ spokeswoman Melanie Newman said in a statement.

The DOJ is dropping the case against Apple, since it no longer needs the company's help.
On Monday, the Department of Justice said the method only works on this particular phone, which is an iPhone 5C running a version of iOS 9 software.

Back