Apnewsbreak: ringling bros. circus to close after 146 years

very good, those elephants wi|| |ive free without any tortures.

I loved the Circus and so did my kids....especially the Trapeze artists and clowns and the Monkeys...wondering where these special breeds of people will go?...Probably to State Fairs and Side Shows. Who knew these animals were so abused, especially the elephants and they were the main attraction. Animal Abuse is big news these days.

I'm surprised they are closing. I have a friend who travelled with them and he would tell me stories about it. It had the best and the worst of people, and it was controlled bedlam that seemed to be eternal. Kinda sad.

I'm surprised they are closing. I have a friend who travelled with them and he would tell me stories about it. It had the best and the worst of people, and it was controlled bedlam that seemed to be eternal. Kinda sad.

Think they were called "carnies"...Also, a good way for people to simply disappear....constantly moving from city to city.

"By midcentury, the circus was routine, wholesome family entertainment. But as the 20th century went on, kids became less and less enthralled. Movies, television, video games and the internet captured young minds. The circus didn't have savvy product merchandising tie-ins or Saturday morning cartoons to shore up its image.

"The competitor in many ways is time," said Feld, adding that transporting the show by rail and other circus quirks - such as providing a traveling school for performers' children- are throwbacks to another era. "It's a different model that we can't see how it works in today's world to justify and maintain an affordable ticket price. So you've got all these things working against it."

It's pretty true that technology takes over everything. Another family business closing. I only had been to their show twice in my entire life. I wonder performers will find other jobs- maybe shows in Vegas.

it is just a circus for kids. PETA really destroyed economic stuffs.

If there is any sign of evidence that indicated that elephants were physically abused at Ringling Brothers, they shouldn't have done it. I've seen the abuses against elephants at other circuses videos, and it should close. I believe I read the article a year ago Ringling Brothers announced they will stop using elephants, which is the next year, but they've already come to a decision they will close this year.

They should shut down rodeos next. Getting a bull angry by squeezing his nuts is cruel. Try squeezing your own and get back to me.

They should shut down rodeos next. Getting a bull angry by squeezing his nuts is cruel. Try squeezing your own and get back to me.

That's a popular misconception, Woody. Have you personally been to a rodeo? It's called flank strap. They're never attached to the testicles. It goes around the bull's midsection. Some of the ropes are different like fleece rope or sheepskin rope. Fleece rope is similar to fleece rope dog toy. If they squeeze their testicles, bulls would become worthless. They don't do it, because they depend on them to breed bulls and horses. My dad used to do this in his youth days before he became a soil scientist.

I personally witnessed bullfighting in Mexico. My cousin used to breed bulls for matadors. We all convinced him to quit selling bulls to them. Bullfighting should be banned. I cannot change their minds because in their eyes it is a form of art. In Spanish-Speaking world's perception, bullfighting is not a contest. It's art performance. Matadors don't get paid to "perform" except they live on sponsors.

Greyhound Racing....ban it too!...and yeah, I've heard they squeeze their nuts to make them run faster after the rabbit....So glad they are cracking down on Dog Fighting too...

Back