Apartment Safety + HOH Concerns

KikLove

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently moved into a new apartment and I really like it. It is smaller, better lit outside of the apartment (at night), I have a balcony (which connects from the bedroom to the living room) and a fireplace. I live alone.

I've only been here about two weeks and I told the owners of the apartment complex I'm HOH, so if I have a scheduled maintenance issue or something, they need to call me before they arrive. So far, they've done pretty well until I attached an alert system outside of the apartment - it flashes the lights and makes a loud noise I can hear, it alerts me someone outside instead of them knocking on the door by them pushing it. I don't like nobody knocking on the door because I cannot hear it good without my HAs (one ear won't let me hear it at all) and it always makes a thud that I can feel through the floor if someone knocks when I'm not wearing my HAs.

On my two doors to the balcony, I attached a door alarm on either door unless I turn it off, it will emit a strong noise that will wake me up (easily removable when my lease is up).

I felt safer in the apartment complex until the other night, when I was coming home from work and I was getting out of my car...I took off my hearing aids after a long day and I just wanted to relax. I went inside and was getting ready for bed.

I normally leave one light one next to my bed so if someone is at the door, it can flash if I cannot hear the three beeps the doorbell gives me at night.

It kept flashing off and on for about 10 minutes. Every time I got up to check to see if someone was outside the door, I didn't see no one by the time I got to from my bedroom to the door.

I thought I heard laughter at one point but it felt so distant I wondered if I was just imagining things, I sorta brushed it off and went back to bed. About 2:00am, the same thing happened again. This time, someone was playing around with my door by knocking and pushing the doorbell. I felt it coming through the apartment floor and they were knocking so loudly it almost sounded normal. I walked closely to the door and me being the genius I am, leaned towards the door hoping to hear what might have been said...

I could not understand a word of it but I heard laughter. I peaked through the door and saw what I thought was one of the office staff I told that I would like to be alerted if and when maintenance comes by.

I expressed concern about this to my parents and they said I was being over paranoid, that they didn't think my mid frequency loss was bad enough that I need to get an alert system for people coming and going. I told them I was having hard time hearing when people knock at the door and put it in mostly for that, since knocking on the door normally, I cannot hear it and the thuds it makes through the carpet creep me out.

I also expressed my concern to the office staff, asking if they had told maintenance that about and suddenly the next day I come home after apparently, there had been an emergency maintenance come through several of the apartments do to a problem with air conditioners on our floor. I was freaked out because they didn't call me and say they were going to come in...

Then last night I kept hearing my neighbors have a party (they had the music so loud, I had to take my HAs out so they didn't hurt my ears) and the same thing happened again! People were playing around at my door.

I know I may be over freaking out, but before I put the alerter outside my door and before I told the office staff, I was having no problems any of this.

Now, I feel like someone is playing tricks on me or something. The office lady told me I was being too paranoid and why complain if I cannot hear the neighbors - which I can, I tried to explain to her about my degree of hearing loss and she didn't understand it...

The rest of last night I stayed awake in bed with my HAs in to see if I heard anything and was quiet...there was nothing! I know I'm not imagining it without my HAs!

Is there...anything legally I can do here other than keep notifying the police and documenting the incidents? Or is there some more technology, something I can use to help alert me when people are outside the door without it being installed? I want catch whoever this is that is doing it. I'm keeping my two door alarms and I seriously want to buy one for the main door now...but I don't want it going off if there is an emergency maintenance problem like yesterday where it they needed to make sure there were no problems with the AC.

Is there...anything legally I can do here other than keep notifying the police and documenting the incidents? Or is there some more technology, something I can use to help alert me when people are outside the door without it being installed? I want catch whoever this is that is doing it. I'm keeping my two door alarms and I seriously want to buy one for the main door now...but I don't want it going off if there is an emergency maintenance problem like yesterday where it they needed to make sure there were no problems with the AC.

1. Get a big, mean dog.
2. Set up tiny surveillance cameras (can't find the website with pretty good spy gadgets stuff, but guess this link will do for now Video Surveillance Cameras )
3. Document the incidents of time, date, etc, so you can collaborate with your cameras and see whether if you were imagining things or not.
4. Report to police if desired.

Try peekhole camera will record the photo automatically with knocking sensor (Optional Knocking Sensor and Motion Sensor allow photos to be taken automatically) and then report police or landlord for your complain [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Brinno-PHV133012-Digital-PeepHole-Viewer/dp/B0058FJYUE/ref=pd_cp_hi_0[/ame] [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Brinno-KNS100-Knocking-PHV133012-Electronic/dp/B005FYEKWK/ref=pd_sim_hi_2[/ame][ame]http://www.amazon.com/Brinno-MAS100-PHV133012-Electronic-PeepHole/dp/B005FYFJ3O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsh5UeQC91s]PHV1330 Digital Peep Hole Viewer - YouTube[/ame]
other device with doorbell press

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6XLmWdDhNw[/ame]
Other device while you watch TV until camera alert.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-P0gxY4N00[/ame]

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with a mean dog. Even small dogs have big barks!!

Also, get one of those musical car toys. Tune it up.Let it play music so that others know you are home.

Doorbot_Main-600x380.jpg

snapshot it on your smartphone and report police.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lJwF5JLFfGE

it sounds like you are a victim of people are are ignorant and inconsidereate. They probably discovered they can see flashing lights from your apartments so they probably think its a novelty trick that is funny to them.Honestly - there is nothing you can do in short of catching them. As for your landlord brushing git off if you complaining about noise - If you simply said " I am deaf and hard of hearing and if I can hear them - then its definetely an issue since they were being loud enough for my hearing aids to pick up with/without HA's" . I would also say- if you cannot enforce the quiet hours and handle the noise issue, then that is grounds for me to break the lease. Call the police, not landlord everytime there is a noise issue and get it reported. Get copies of the report. Be sure when cops show up - tell them you will be expecting an report and you will request a report. (if you dont say that, then they will not write it up as they ALWAYS say its a waste of time). You need several reports to be able to break lease with a judge legally. The landlord will want to in its best interest to stop this issue. You HAVE to document everything and time/dates of people you spoke to.

Sounds like a lot? yes it is since landlord is responsible for your safe well being - but he/she is powerless if nothing is reported clearly. If landlord thinks you being deaf their ticket out of taking care of issues is clear discrimination and you need to report it.

Living with next-door neighbor from Hell? not good. You might get stress forever.

I've finally gotten a chance to respond...

it sounds like you are a victim of people are are ignorant and inconsidereate. They probably discovered they can see flashing lights from your apartments so they probably think its a novelty trick that is funny to them.Honestly - there is nothing you can do in short of catching them. As for your landlord brushing git off if you complaining about noise - If you simply said " I am deaf and hard of hearing and if I can hear them - then its definetely an issue since they were being loud enough for my hearing aids to pick up with/without HA's" . I would also say- if you cannot enforce the quiet hours and handle the noise issue, then that is grounds for me to break the lease. Call the police, not landlord everytime there is a noise issue and get it reported. Get copies of the report. Be sure when cops show up - tell them you will be expecting an report and you will request a report. (if you dont say that, then they will not write it up as they ALWAYS say its a waste of time). You need several reports to be able to break lease with a judge legally. The landlord will want to in its best interest to stop this issue. You HAVE to document everything and time/dates of people you spoke to.

Sounds like a lot? yes it is since landlord is responsible for your safe well being - but he/she is powerless if nothing is reported clearly. If landlord thinks you being deaf their ticket out of taking care of issues is clear discrimination and you need to report it.

The morons have been back several times. I unplugged my current doorbell system and just require everyone to text me when they are the door. It is has been happening, even with the police reports. I've told the police about me being HOH and the partying being so loud - they've been back twice since I've reported it from other people complaining about them as well.

I've went to the police station and talked to several officers, who have been very friendly with me, as it appears my neighbor's didn't realize me calling the cops the last three times hasn't been enough.

I mentioned that the lady in the office (who apparently isn't the owner, just one of the managers) making remarks when I've approached her with the police reports, that I've probably got a case to go to the judge to have the lease broken if I want to.

I mentioned I've had no problems until the people in the office found out I was HOH and etc...and to find out that they probably picked me because I was an "easier target."

Apparently, this is not the first time that people besides myself are being "victimized" so to speak at this apartment complex by the same lady in the office and a few residents living here. It seems from what I understood from one officer is they suspect there is something more going on with the lady in the office and the same residents.

So it looks like the police are contacting the actual owner of the place and are pursuing action against the pranksters. The actual owner of the apartment complex came to the police station and talked with me as well...so hopefully this mess can be taken care of soon. :)

I've finally gotten a chance to respond...

The morons have been back several times. I unplugged my current doorbell system and just require everyone to text me when they are the door. It is has been happening, even with the police reports. I've told the police about me being HOH and the partying being so loud - they've been back twice since I've reported it from other people complaining about them as well.

I've went to the police station and talked to several officers, who have been very friendly with me, as it appears my neighbor's didn't realize me calling the cops the last three times hasn't been enough.

I mentioned that the lady in the office (who apparently isn't the owner, just one of the managers) making remarks when I've approached her with the police reports, that I've probably got a case to go to the judge to have the lease broken if I want to.

I mentioned I've had no problems until the people in the office found out I was HOH and etc...and to find out that they probably picked me because I was an "easier target."

Apparently, this is not the first time that people besides myself are being "victimized" so to speak at this apartment complex by the same lady in the office and a few residents living here. It seems from what I understood from one officer is they suspect there is something more going on with the lady in the office and the same residents.

So it looks like the police are contacting the actual owner of the place and are pursuing action against the pranksters. The actual owner of the apartment complex came to the police station and talked with me as well...so hopefully this mess can be taken care of soon. :)

It's too bad you couldn't hook your doorbell up to an electric outlet and let the morons trying ringing your doorbell.

Yeah, I would love to do that to them. Let them get a nice electric zap once they pushed the button.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks again everyone!

It's too bad you couldn't hook your doorbell up to an electric outlet and let the morons trying ringing your doorbell.
Go buy a doorbell button ( just the cheap $3 button ) at the hardware store, take it apart and drill a tiny hole in the plastic button, bir superglue a small needle to the backing or drill a small hole and solder it in, put back together and install outside with a sign "Please Do Not Ring Bell" and watch the fun begin....lol

Attachments

• doorbell.jpg
    doorbell.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 8
Go buy a doorbell button ( just the cheap $3 button ) at the hardware store, take it apart and drill a tiny hole in the plastic button, bir superglue a small needle to the backing or drill a small hole and solder it in, put back together and install outside with a sign "Please Do Not Ring Bell" and watch the fun begin....lol

someone might call the cops thinking there is a bomb .

Hey everyone,

I recently moved into a new apartment and I really like it. It is smaller, better lit outside of the apartment (at night), I have a balcony (which connects from the bedroom to the living room) and a fireplace. I live alone.

I've only been here about two weeks and I told the owners of the apartment complex I'm HOH, so if I have a scheduled maintenance issue or something, they need to call me before they arrive. So far, they've done pretty well until I attached an alert system outside of the apartment - it flashes the lights and makes a loud noise I can hear, it alerts me someone outside instead of them knocking on the door by them pushing it. I don't like nobody knocking on the door because I cannot hear it good without my HAs (one ear won't let me hear it at all) and it always makes a thud that I can feel through the floor if someone knocks when I'm not wearing my HAs.

On my two doors to the balcony, I attached a door alarm on either door unless I turn it off, it will emit a strong noise that will wake me up (easily removable when my lease is up).

I felt safer in the apartment complex until the other night, when I was coming home from work and I was getting out of my car...I took off my hearing aids after a long day and I just wanted to relax. I went inside and was getting ready for bed.

I normally leave one light one next to my bed so if someone is at the door, it can flash if I cannot hear the three beeps the doorbell gives me at night.

It kept flashing off and on for about 10 minutes. Every time I got up to check to see if someone was outside the door, I didn't see no one by the time I got to from my bedroom to the door.

I thought I heard laughter at one point but it felt so distant I wondered if I was just imagining things, I sorta brushed it off and went back to bed. About 2:00am, the same thing happened again. This time, someone was playing around with my door by knocking and pushing the doorbell. I felt it coming through the apartment floor and they were knocking so loudly it almost sounded normal. I walked closely to the door and me being the genius I am, leaned towards the door hoping to hear what might have been said...

I could not understand a word of it but I heard laughter. I peaked through the door and saw what I thought was one of the office staff I told that I would like to be alerted if and when maintenance comes by.

I expressed concern about this to my parents and they said I was being over paranoid, that they didn't think my mid frequency loss was bad enough that I need to get an alert system for people coming and going. I told them I was having hard time hearing when people knock at the door and put it in mostly for that, since knocking on the door normally, I cannot hear it and the thuds it makes through the carpet creep me out.

I also expressed my concern to the office staff, asking if they had told maintenance that about and suddenly the next day I come home after apparently, there had been an emergency maintenance come through several of the apartments do to a problem with air conditioners on our floor. I was freaked out because they didn't call me and say they were going to come in...

Then last night I kept hearing my neighbors have a party (they had the music so loud, I had to take my HAs out so they didn't hurt my ears) and the same thing happened again! People were playing around at my door.

I know I may be over freaking out, but before I put the alerter outside my door and before I told the office staff, I was having no problems any of this.

Now, I feel like someone is playing tricks on me or something. The office lady told me I was being too paranoid and why complain if I cannot hear the neighbors - which I can, I tried to explain to her about my degree of hearing loss and she didn't understand it...

The rest of last night I stayed awake in bed with my HAs in to see if I heard anything and was quiet...there was nothing! I know I'm not imagining it without my HAs!

After hearing your story, i am really want to help. And i think an IP camera installed at your front door would solve your problem as it have the motion detection function. Once there is someone visit your house, the IP camera will send you emails with pictures attached. Also, a video will be recorded at the same time to let you see later what has happened.

Thank you. Does this camera require drilling? The apartment owner allowed me to install one of the above listed cameras but if I have to drill, I cannot. :/ Hopefully the owner will make sure everything is taken care of so I won't need nothing new.

A camera that emails you photos? A bit scary if your email is hacked...:lol:

Thank you. Does this camera require drilling? The apartment owner allowed me to install one of the above listed cameras but if I have to drill, I cannot. :/ Hopefully the owner will make sure everything is taken care of so I won't need nothing new.

A camera that emails you photos? A bit scary if your email is hacked...:lol:

Yes, the camera need to be fixed, so user needs to drill into the wall. The IP camera is very popular in recent years. Users can monitor everything goes around in their house wherever they are on the computer,pad or smart phones. The feature i mentioned which can send emails to you is exactly the advanced part of the camera, the motion detection and sound detection feature.
Wish everything will go back to normal for you later.

Yes, the camera need to be fixed, so user needs to drill into the wall. The IP camera is very popular in recent years. Users can monitor everything goes around in their house wherever they are on the computer,pad or smart phones. The feature i mentioned which can send emails to you is exactly the advanced part of the camera, the motion detection and sound detection feature.
Wish everything will go back to normal for you later.

Just how heavy is this camera? Would an alternate attachment method like "Command strips" possibly work?

Just how heavy is this camera? Would an alternate attachment method like "Command strips" possibly work?
Normally, the camera weight more or less 0.5 kg, which is within the load range of Command strips. But it cannot be fixed by it easily since the camera and the mounting brackets look like below.

Attachments

• 100.png
    100.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 101.png
    101.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 3
Normally, the camera weight more or less 0.5 kg, which is within the load range of Command strips. But it cannot be fixed by it easily since the camera and the mounting brackets look like below.

Well, Some landlords don't allow you install your own security camera. depend, their rules are dumb.

I use to my Logitech Alert system also, motive trigger alert send email to my iPhone while I am away.

logitech2-gadling-bumper.png

B003X26LXW_customize_lg.jpg

logitech-alert-security.jpg

Back