Anyone interested in drones?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
At my college there is a student group that gets together once a week to use drones. I'm thinking about attending the meetings so I can learn how to use one.

We also had a presentation to our computer student group this morning by this company.

http://www.skyviewaerialsolutions.com

It was interesting.

I'm also thinking about doing my final PowerPoint presentation for class about drones. :hmm:

Does anyone here have a drone or have experience using one? Was it fun?

I have a quadchoper. I live with in 5 miles by flight of an air port and medavac helicopters fly around a lot.

There are 2 parks I fly at mostly. I have flown it around my house checking the soffits, flashing, and my chimney a couple of times. I have been paid by a couple farmers to take picks for them.

With in the next year the rules for flying a drone will be the same for flying a model airplane or helicopter where I live. Depending on the county you have to get a $500,000 insurance policy and have to get a permit.

I have a quadchoper.
Cool! What kind?

I live with in 5 miles by flight of an air port and medavac helicopters fly around a lot.
Careful. :)

There are 2 parks I fly at mostly. I have flown it around my house checking the soffits, flashing, and my chimney a couple of times. I have been paid by a couple farmers to take picks for them.
Good.

With in the next year the rules for flying a drone will be the same for flying a model airplane or helicopter where I live. Depending on the county you have to get a $500,000 insurance policy and have to get a permit.
How do you find out about the insurance and permit requirements?

I have a DJI Phantom Aerial UAV Drone Quadcopter for GoPro.

I belong to a model helicopter club.

im looking to buy one soon, for hell of it, mostly before it gets to be illegal or difficult to get

They are also called MultiRotors

I just started putting together a MultiRotors and is a member on several well know MulitRotor forums Same username TechBill

http://multirotorforums.com/forums/

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-multirotors-790/

I been encouraging builders who make awesome educational video on building your own Multirotors to add closed caption to their video since it easy to do now.

I will post picture on here when I and my son is done building it.

im looking to buy one soon, for hell of it, mostly before it gets to be illegal or difficult to get

It'll never be illegal in our country (USA) since considered a hobby for personal use only.

Right now you can't use it for commercial or business purpose until this Fall when FAA announce what will be require to licence a drone for commercial uses.

I flew a Parrot quadcopter this afternoon. We're practicing indoors for now, in a large classroom.

It has a camera. We download the AR FreeFlight app to our phones and used them for controllers via the WiFi connection.

I did a lot of crashing and burning today. :lol:

I flew a Parrot quadcopter this afternoon. We're practicing indoors for now, in a large classroom.

It has a camera. We download the AR FreeFlight app to our phones and used them for controllers via the WiFi connection.

I did a lot of crashing and burning today. :lol:

Ha ha, I tried that at home and scare the heck dog-n-cat-stepdaughter like hell because of loud hard vertebrate sound across the room. My wife screamed at me to get that dam'n toy out of the house.....sigh....

no amazon's not doing it anymore. it got sidelined and it'll stay that way for most likely several years.

Probably because of the new FAA recent announcement that all drones have to be in LOS (Line of sight) meaning it have to be in your view at all time while your controlling it.

I just started gathering parts on for me MR (muiltrotors) It gonna be a F550 frame DJI with a Taranis controller. The fight controller I am going to put in my MR is a pixhawk.

Probably because of the new FAA recent announcement that all drones have to be in LOS (Line of sight) meaning it have to be in your view at all time while your controlling it.

I just started gathering parts on for me MR (muiltrotors) It gonna be a F550 frame DJI with a Taranis controller. The fight controller I am going to put in my MR is a pixhawk.

Sound like fun to build. Plan to have FPV?

I would get a drone just so I can drop water ballons on unspecting people :D

Back