Anyone here use linux instead of windows?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Hexie, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Hexie

Hexie Member

I took to using Linux several years ago because I just hate Windows and all the grief and aggravation that comes with any Windows OS. I found Linux Zorin, which is every bit as easy to use as Windows and without all the issues Windows has. Been using it for the last 10 years. Anyone else?

2. DeafDucky

DeafDucky Well-Known Member

There are a few here who do use Linux. Some threads in the technology sub forums too.

I don't as haven't really gotten into Linux; tend to stick with Windows as it's a little easier with programming applications. Soon to add a Mac laptop if I can find the funds for that and bootcamp! But I did try Linux years ago on my older PC- Knoppix.

Hexie likes this.
  3. Reba

Reba Retired Terp Premium Member

I had Linux on my Dell server a few years ago but I no longer have that computer.

4. pomelose3

pomelose3 New Member

I tried to work on Linux but it was too hard for me ;/

5. purplecatty

purplecatty Active Member

Im Linux user. I did have LinuxMint OS which are much more comfortable to use. I used to use Ubuntu until they changed desktop. I didnt like it even I can change back to old school look thru Repository but I was just kinda lazy tho. I built new system so I was able to use full Compiz on desktop. Love it!!!

6. astrotrek

astrotrek New Member

I have been using Linux for many years like 20 years. I still love Linux :D

7. SneakerNet

SneakerNet My IQ: 12 Premium Member

I'm Linux user as well and I use Centos, since that flavor use under RedHat. Ubuntu is great but not secure as Centos.

8. DoVip

DoVip The Master Poker Premium Member

I used on Linux on Redhat or Ubuntu.

9. DeafDucky

Sticking my toe back in-- using Puppy linux on sister's laptop in trying to recover anything possible. Pretty sure the hard drive is near death...:( . The ASUS laptop was a workhorse...

10. purplecatty

purplecatty Active Member

Have anyone tried Tiny Core LOL. it's fast and nifty for old computer.

DeafDucky, I've used Puppy Linux for IBM Thinkpad with 500ghz processor and 256mb memory (max). It was a big help and able to use my Blackberry as modem many years ago. Awesome!!

I just downloaded Andoid OS (for x86 and x64) in Linux Distro and ran it, Didn't have luck on Intel system. I will try on my Asrock system (Asrock 970 Extreme 4 mobo with AMD FX 6830 6 Cores processor and 16GB HyperX 1866 memory and Hilo Wireless a/g/b/n MiMo PCIe Wireless adapter all built in Coolmaster Gamer case. (my kids drooled all over my system and I told them I own it and you can't have it.). I usually run Windows then run Virtualbox or VMware to run any kind of Linuxes. Why because if I have Linux OS desktop and run Virtualbox with Windoz in, it sucks big cuz you can't use it for VP, can't watch netflix from there (it's so choppy) and lot of issue which Linux don't. I used to run VMware "Unity" mode that "merge" Linux into Windows on desktop. It's so nice to have "combo" of two in Desktop but it's a real resource hog cuz my Acer Aspire1551 had a limited 4gb ram memory and cannot upgrade any more due to BIOS limitation. I can try again with my Asrock system.

Catty

11. DeafDucky

Tiny Core? That one I'll have to keep in mind...maybe use that on my old Dell laptop (it's 9 years old now). Haven't decided. Would really like to get a newer laptop- either mac or windows- as eventually if ever I'd like to go back to school- preferably a coding bootcamp of some sort.

12. pogy

pogy New Member

I have used Linux for many years and have had my hands on different distros. But I hardly stick to one OS due to my work and switch from Mac, Windows and Linux. But I prefer Linux for programming... Very good support for programming languages and just a single command in the terminal would do wonders like installing an entire package.