anyone deaf or hard of hearing?

stuckbetween

Reaction score
Im 19 and i have mild hearing loss that may or may not be progressive. I also can't always process what people say so I hear with my eyes. I read lips. I'm stuck. Not quite deaf or hard of hearing and not quite hearing either. Im trying to learn sign language also. Anyone deaf or hard of hearing?

I would say so there are deaf and hoh people here. I am hoh and I know what you mean I really didn't fit in the hearing world growing up and I was the only hoh student in my classroom until I got to JR. high school .

:wave: Hi!

Have you been tested for central auditory processing disorder? Also hello, I am HoH with CAPD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

My audiologist said the testing for an auditory processing disorder is very expensive and not covered by insurance and even if I do have the disorder there isnt really anything they can do about it. Im scoring moderate to severe in the little processing test she gave me. She just referred me to my lip reading classes but thank you for your replies everyone

:wave: I'm hoh with possible CAPD. I started being aware my hearing was changing about 6 years ago. Husband's audi found mild loss. I'm considering my first pair of aids and also testing for CAPD, since I've resigned from my job and am considering what else I'm going to do. I have various learning disabilities and signs of auditory processing issues.

I sign a small amount, poorly.

Hub hoh/deaf from birth, no sign, raised Hearing.

I've never fitted in Except here.:D

Im 19 and i have mild hearing loss that may or may not be progressive. I also can't always process what people say so I hear with my eyes. I read lips. I'm stuck. Not quite deaf or hard of hearing and not quite hearing either. Im trying to learn sign language also. Anyone deaf or hard of hearing?

Welcome to the group here, Did your audiologist suggest hearing aids? I would assume they would be of some help even with a mild loss.

My audiologist said the testing for an auditory processing disorder is very expensive and not covered by insurance and even if I do have the disorder there isnt really anything they can do about it. Im scoring moderate to severe in the little processing test she gave me. She just referred me to my lip reading classes but thank you for your replies everyone

That's pretty much the run down. You may find that you are better at reading lip than you thouht. I know I found out I was doing it more than I thought when I payed attention and also realized that no one reads lips like in the movies. Some audiologists are giving directional hearing aids to people with apd but most will not. I don't know if they would help as I have never tried them. Since you are hoh maybe they would help though? Phonak isense and the roger pen look interesting to be but big dollars. There are other fm systems that you might be interested in.

If you are still a student fm seems like it would help a lot in the classroom.

voc rehab might help you get some hearing aids if you're a student or working . Mass. Rehab got me new HA when I was going to college .

Here in oregon if you have apd they recommend HA and a streamer but most insurances won't cover the test or HA. So it is a lot of money but when I got mine it was a world of difference when it came to being in the hearing world. I would recommend saving up if you think you might have apd. Just btw the test is a trip if you do have it. When I took it the lady ask me how I thought I did, I thought I did amazing and got a lot right. I got like 10 out of 250 right...

That's the part that gets me all the time! You think you hear right but you're wrong.

I am hard of hearing I DONT read lips but, i know asl NOT fluently but, im still self teaching myself I like what you said...." i hear with my eyes" i like that! :) i incorage you to learn or continue to learn ASL (american sign language) it does help i wish you the best of luck and at times i also feel stuck ...no one (that i know of) knows or can sign.....

:wave:Happens to me too!

That happen to me today when I was out with my daughter and granddaughter . We were talking going out to eat and I thought daughter asked if we had time to go get a squirrel . We were at a park and I was thinking I don't want a squirrel for lunch ! :laugh2: I didn't understand what she said .

:giggle:oh yeah... perhaps she was thinking a nice squirrel sandwich....

did you have a good time with your daughter and granddaughter? Hope it was wonderful:)

That happen to me today when I was out with my daughter and granddaughter . We were talking going out to eat and I thought daughter asked if we had time to go get a squirrel . We were at a park and I was thinking I don't want a squirrel for lunch ! :laugh2: I didn't understand what she said .

Now I understand the name lol

Its great to hear all of your replies! Everyone seems so supportive, where im from everyone kinda brushes it off and says "its not that bad" or "your doing it for attention" i actually just finished one of my clinicals for my emt program and I explained to the doctors and nurses that I cant really understand them unless they face me when they speak and some said ok cool but then proceeded to look away when talking and I had some treat me like I was stupid they spoke slowly and paused between words and made stupid faces at me. Im trying to get my boyfriend on board with learning some sign language. When we're out in public he often repeats what the waiter or whoever says because I read his lips better than a strangers but it'd be easier if he could just sign it to me because some times I don't even know what he's saying lol. It's weird it's like the more nervous I am the harder it is. Plus I think Itd be a useful skill for our two young children. I love that I've come across some people here who understand! Thank you!

I personally find ASL empowering.

You aren't alone, stuckbetween.

Back