Any Vegan/Vegetarians Out There?

north = up (higher)
south = down (lower)

I think that's the distinction behind the marketing.

Huh...so Hardee's been advertising their burgers to be more than a thousand calories? How is that working for them?

It's sly marketing from Carl's/Hardee's. People who don't know how to read, think or are simpletons for the most part caught in this. There are some social/psych studies that show people associate numbers faster than words. When it comes to buying things, it's definitely sailing time.

Huh...so Hardee's been advertising their burgers to be more than a thousand calories? How is that working for them?

They actually had an interview stating that people bought 990 calories burger better than the 750. So they ramped it up with a 1,100 calorie burger and it was a success..

They actually had an interview stating that people bought 990 calories burger better than the 750. So they ramped it up with a 1,100 calorie burger and it was a success..

Wow...

back on point: I HATE tofu! I tried my best for a year to like it but never have been able to. Someone told me if I made my own, it would taste much better but I've never tried.

that's too bad, tofu is the pinnacle of a true vegan.
silly Caucasians, you're probably doing it wrong. :P

guessing it's just the taste as i hear the same from all non-asians who try it. one suggestion I can give is to learn or try to marinate or space the tofu before cooking it, that's how it is done in almost all restaurant dishes aside from the soups.

They also have the hard brown fried version, that's more acceptable to some people. It's not going to be sold at walmart and target though - have to go to asian groceries for that.

that's too bad, tofu is the pinnacle of a true vegan.
silly Caucasians, you're probably doing it wrong. :P

Not necessarily true. One does not need to eat tofu to be a vegan. There are dozens of alternatives. I didn't mind the tofu in Thailand at all and had it almost every day but the tofu one buys in grocery stores here ain't the best. Try looking at the nutritional label on those tofus sometime.

I did enjoy fried tofu once in a really good Chinese restaurant but i suspect they made their own.

guessing it's just the taste as i hear the same from all non-asians who try it. one suggestion I can give is to learn or try to marinate or space the tofu before cooking it, that's how it is done in almost all restaurant dishes aside from the soups.

They also have the hard brown fried version, that's more acceptable to some people. It's not going to be sold at walmart and target though - have to go to asian groceries for that.

dude. I live in a town that probably screams Vegan. Can't live with tofu here.

That and my political stance with soy based products steeeers me away from tofu :)

I sampled some tofu and seitan while at Whole Foods today. They were both very good. As I experiment and learn, I am finally getting my tofu to taste pretty good. Family still isn't too sure, but I am okay with it. Even used some silken tofu and made a smoothie that my daughter really liked.

dude. I live in a town that probably screams Vegan. Can't live with tofu here.

That and my political stance with soy based products steeeers me away from tofu :)

what's your political stance?

I heard somewhere that too much soy is not good for you which only made me all too happily shun tofu. I do like soy beans though.

I work in the farmland. I see the types of crops that are being grown. The most being grown is either corn or soy beans. A lot less wheat and other plants these days. Used to see a bunch of onions, carrots, lettuce, sugar beets. You still do to this day , but not as much.

Very sad.

I would of simply said "ok don't worry about it. I can make my own food"

If the slaughter house had glass windows, everyone would be vegetarians.

even if I took a field trip at slaughterhouse, I'd still eat meat anyway. It's no different from how our ancestors butcher it except that slaughterhouse butchers a lot more animals in one day.

I find it comical that people's choice to be vegetarian is mainly cuz of "animal cruelty". Sorry but that's just me and it's silly. These farm animals are "designed" to be eaten. Mother Nature is not that nice. Mother Nature doesn't create useless animals for no reason.

So this thread reminded me of the fact that there is all kinds of nasty stuff in things we eat that we don't expect.

I love Taco Bell nachos. Yesterday I got some, and as I took a bite I thought, "hmm. I don't really know what exactly is in here." so I promptly googled the information.

Gag me. I'm literally feeling sick to my stomach writing this.

There is animal rennet in it!!

Needless to say, I threw out my nachos. I had to make a concerted effort not to throw up, I was so disgusted.

um.... it's Taco Bell... same franchise business like McDonald and Burger King. what did you expect???? Did you think it was healthy & organic or something?

lol.

ahh yeah I avoid buying the packaged tofu if possible. preservatives. In smaller non-chain markets they will sell the store-made tofu that you can slice off the amount you want off a giant slab. It's fresh, made daily on the spot.

There's some unwritten rule for asians in the west that we don't "mess with each other" in terms of money and health related, we kinda put our trusts in another, that they aren't going to rip us off or mess with our stuff.

Back