Any Online Free (or Cheap) Tty That Can Call Normal Phones?

Not mine, I have data + text only plan so there is no voice plan.

Verizon has data + text only plan for deaf people who aren't using voice.

In fact, TTY mode on iOS requires any plans that include voice or charge per minutes, also I enabled AT&T to block the all incoming and outcoming calls so TTY mode will be pointless for me.

There is free software that can use relay if it is necessary.

My post #17 is for people with data + text only (no voice plan).

I don't question that you have it; but can anyone still sign up for it now? Or is what you have grandfathered from the past like DeafDucky thought?

I don't question that you have it; but can anyone still sign up for it now? Or is what you have grandfathered from the past like DeafDucky thought?

Oh my god.

Verizon: https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/messagingplans.jsp

AT&T: https://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/TAP_disability_certification_form.pdf

Sprint: http://www.sprintrelay.com/services/sprint-relay-store

You CAN sign up for this plan if you don't need voice plan but you will charge with rate per minute if using TTY mode (software and hardware) on iOS 10.

Do you understand very clearly?

Hm.. was never aware of the verizon plan for deaf only- otherwise I might have gotten that one to same money :P... I looked on their site too but don't see that as an option anywhere.

Verizon hasn't update the text + data only plan to up with standard yet since Verizon introduced updated share plan last year.

AT&T already update their TAP to make cheaper to get one without voice plan for deaf people - 5 GB data with tethering and unlimited text.

Oh my god.

AT&T: https://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/TAP_disability_certification_form.pdf

You CAN sign up for this plan if you don't need voice plan but you will charge with rate per minute if using TTY mode (software and hardware) on iOS 10.

Dude.. relax... Not everyone knows all of this so no need to talk down to Jane (or me for that matter) like that.

It may depend on the location too. Not all states have the same plans I don't think. Or the same price for that matter- More expensive in Washington than it is here.

Dude.. relax... Not everyone knows all of this so no need to talk down to Jane (or me for that matter) like that.

It may depend on the location too. Not all states have the same plans I don't think. Or the same price for that matter- More expensive in Washington than it is here.

First, it isn't about you but I set a boundary from Jane after numerous communication issues between me and her.

I didn't quote your post so you aren't involved in my situation with Jane.

Not wireless, all rates are same for wireless in 50 states, but price may varies with landline.

The price on text + data only plans are same in all 50 states.

Oh my god.

I am disappointed that my asking about what I didn't know upset you. I think our background and age are very different (I just turned 74) and the way you, Foxrac, phrase things is so different than what comes natural to me; thus, what seems to be common knowledge is different. I thought the following about me was common knowledge on this forum but just in case not here it is.

I grew up one sided (lost left ear at age 5 following an infection that followed a very bad case of measles) the right ear remained very, very good into adulthood. It has since declined to very profound. There is not an active deaf community here so even after taking a beginning ASL course from our community college twice I made NO contacts to really use it and have forgotten 99% of what I did learn.

I have used Relay with my landline for many years and have gone to captioning apps for cell phones. I do much prefer to speak for myself for my side of the conversation.

I am disappointed that my asking about what I didn't know upset you. I think our background and age are very different (I just turned 74) and the way you, Foxrac, phrase things is so different than what comes natural to me; thus, what seems to be common knowledge is different. I thought the following about me was common knowledge on this forum but just in case not here it is.

I grew up one sided (lost left ear at age 5 following an infection that followed a very bad case of measles) the right ear remained very, very good into adulthood. It has since declined to very profound. There is not an active deaf community here so even after taking a beginning ASL course from our community college twice I made NO contacts to really use it and have forgotten 99% of what I did learn.

I have used Relay with my landline for many years and have gone to captioning apps for cell phones. I do much prefer to speak for myself for my side of the conversation.

Oh wow, interesting, I didn't know about your age until now but I believe that our backgrounds are different.

My ASL is good because I usually talk to myself with sign language most of time, but I noticed that my ASL quality is declining due to lack of social with people because I avoid most deaf people in my state due to bad experience, but I don't have any issues with deaf communities in DC metro and other cities.

My deafness is caused by Usher Syndrome Type I and it is documented after genetic testing.

The miscommunication or bad communication has caused traumatic emotional pain for me, also I was beat up by families for bad communication when I was child and teen. That why I tends to avoid people whoever have issues with communication, also in some situation, I have to reply more irritably (more roughly).

I'm apologize about how I treated you at first place. In fact, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint offer data + text only for deaf people who don't use voice and it is supposed to be cheaper, but introduction of affordable share plan has rendered Verizon deaf only plan as useless and expensive because it hasn't updated yet. AT&T and Sprint are cheaper without voice plan. All of links are provided above.

Yes Foxrac I thought you first language was ASL (based on the way you phrase things in this forum) and the grammar is soooo different from the spoken American English that I grew up with and still use.

Also, you don't have to reply more irritability but it appears to me to have become a habit from the way you grew up. Let's more on with the understanding that our writing styles will be very different.

Yes Foxrac I thought you first language was ASL (based on the way you phrase things in this forum) and the grammar is soooo different from the spoken American English that I grew up with and still use.

Also, you don't have to reply more irritability but it appears to me to have become a habit from the way you grew up. Let's more on with the understanding that our writing styles will be very different.

Sure, no problem.

Thank you for sharing about your experience and now, I'm familiar with your phrases.

Sure, no problem.

Thank you for sharing about your experience and now, I'm familiar with your phrases.

I hope knowing about the way I write things will also help you to understand when you come across other people who's first language is spoken English and the way it is written.

I hope knowing about the way I write things will also help you to understand when you come across other people who's first language is spoken English and the way it is written.

I don't have much issues with members who are spoken English (Reba is one of them) but it could be different writing style.

I have hearing friends and they speak English, but they can understand about my writing in English.

I don't have much issues with members who are spoken English (Reba is one of them) but it could be different writing style.

I have hearing friends and they speak English, but they can understand about my writing in English.

Reba may be easier for you because she is a retired interpreter and knows ASL very well. Thus, she may take that into consideration when replying to you.

I do think that I understand what you are say most of the time but do notice the differences that probably come from the different languages we grew up with (ASL vs spoken English).

Reba may be easier for you because she is a retired interpreter and knows ASL very well. Thus, she may take that into consideration when replying to you.

I do think that I understand what you are say most of the time but do notice the differences that probably come from the different languages we grew up with (ASL vs spoken English).

I have hearing friends that never learn or know about ASL, has no issues about what I'm saying, so it is depending on reading comprehension and writing style.

I have hearing friends that never learn or know about ASL, has no issues about what I'm saying, so it is depending on reading comprehension and writing style.

Your writing is easily understandable, no issues here at all to understand what you're saying

iOS has an app for TTY now I think...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207033

But for TTY <->voice calls- it's getting harder to find anything.

Check in your state to see if the person can get a free CapTel phone.

Just got to going back over this thread and wondering if anyone is working on this app for Android rather than iPhone? It seems there are more economical phones that use Android and are also powerful enough to run this.

Just got to going back over this thread and wondering if anyone is working on this app for Android rather than iPhone? It seems there are more economical phones that use Android and are also powerful enough to run this.

Who knows. The problem is that "Android" is more or less a catchphrase for all phones/tablets that aren't Apple. Many companies fall under the Android umbrella (except Microsoft- they have Windows phones). Galaxy, Motorola, HTC and many more are considered "android'. While the OS is the same in all devices, all of them have different quirks where where same app may work beautifully in one device but fail miserably in another due to tweaks to the OS itself by the company and native apps.

Am guessing the iOS 10 TTY app was created by Apple themselves and tied into their own OS.

We tried SprintIP Relay. After nearly 6 months of trying to get them to verify relative's info, nothing. They want relative to call them on their own-- but relative has no way to call themselves without TTY in the first place. Relative wouldn't be able to hear them at all. For some reason SprintIP couldn't verify relative online after multiple tries, very frustrating process that we gave up on.

How close to a Sprint store is (s)he? Would it work to go there in person and have them contact the department that does the verification? I don't expect that store to have a TTY but would the division in question allow someone from that store to pass on their questions and have her/him voice her/his answers to them?

Who knows. The problem is that "Android" is more or less a catchphrase for all phones/tablets that aren't Apple. Many companies fall under the Android umbrella (except Microsoft- they have Windows phones). Galaxy, Motorola, HTC and many more are considered "android'. While the OS is the same in all devices, all of them have different quirks where where same app may work beautifully in one device but fail miserably in another due to tweaks to the OS itself by the company and native apps.

Am guessing the iOS 10 TTY app was created by Apple themselves and tied into their own OS.

I think it could be possible for developer to make TTY software for Android that use voice or data.

Back