Any Catholics?

Valorrian

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to mass for the first time since I lost my hearing this Sunday. I was so anxious, but I prayed before I went. I didn't have a panic attack and I stayed for the whole mass. It was fine. I don't know what I thought in my head but I guess I thought it was going to be awful not hearing the mass. I was wrong. The mass if very rote. They do the same things and say the same things over and over again and I could follow along just fine. I even started to relax by the end of service.

I don't know anything about Catholicism but!!
Having been to a sermon or two in my sinful life I guarantee that you heard as much as most people there.

Hi,

I went to mass for the first time since I lost my hearing this Sunday. I was so anxious, but I prayed before I went. I didn't have a panic attack and I stayed for the whole mass. It was fine. I don't know what I thought in my head but I guess I thought it was going to be awful not hearing the mass. I was wrong. The mass if very rote. They do the same things and say the same things over and over again and I could follow along just fine. I even started to relax by the end of service.
Yes, there are Catholics here. You weren't around when the Mass was in Latin, then. Or never went to a Mass in another language. I went to Mass in an unfamiliar parish this weekend, and sat further back, and the lector read too fast. Good that I had a missalette. Sometimes it is sad when one cannot understand the homily, other times it is no great loss, same as in any other house of worship.

Yes, I know of masses in other languages. At my church they have Latin, and Spanish Masses. I think when I was younger I went to one or two in a different language. Is that where they chant in the Latin Mass? I used the missalette too. I was wondering do you know of any online Catholic churches that caption or do ASL? I'm just curious. I am just learning sign and no where fluent, but one day I might be and it would help me a lot in understanding instead of reading from the missalette.

Found this: thesundaymass.org There may be others. Don't know if it's captioned.

I know in the Philadelphia area, channel 6 has a Sunday mass at 5:30. Maybe one of your local stations does the same

We are here. I wish Mass was still in Latin but I was born long after Vatican2. I did study Latin in school. Sometimes I ask for a copy of the sermon since that is the only thing that isn’t written in the handout or in the books.

We are here. I wish Mass was still in Latin but I was born long after Vatican2. I did study Latin in school. Sometimes I ask for a copy of the sermon since that is the only thing that isn’t written in the handout or in the books.
Can you ask for that?

Can you ask for that?[/QUO
Can you ask for that?
You can ask for anything. Try to meet with the priest or a church staff member and let them know that you are D/deaf and you would like to follow along with the sermon but you need to read it.
And you know everything else is “turn to page x” or “Gloria” or “Pater Noster”

Yes, I know the other parts. I did really well the first time I went. The second time I got a little frustrated and thought to myself why bother, but if I can get the notes it would be better. Thanks.

Back