Any Catholics?

Valorrian

Hi,

I went to mass for the first time since I lost my hearing this Sunday. I was so anxious, but I prayed before I went. I didn't have a panic attack and I stayed for the whole mass. It was fine. I don't know what I thought in my head but I guess I thought it was going to be awful not hearing the mass. I was wrong. The mass if very rote. They do the same things and say the same things over and over again and I could follow along just fine. I even started to relax by the end of service.

Reactions: MCB

goodonya

I don't know anything about Catholicism but!!
Having been to a sermon or two in my sinful life I guarantee that you heard as much as most people there.

MCB

Hi,

I went to mass for the first time since I lost my hearing this Sunday. I was so anxious, but I prayed before I went. I didn't have a panic attack and I stayed for the whole mass. It was fine. I don't know what I thought in my head but I guess I thought it was going to be awful not hearing the mass. I was wrong. The mass if very rote. They do the same things and say the same things over and over again and I could follow along just fine. I even started to relax by the end of service.
Yes, there are Catholics here. You weren't around when the Mass was in Latin, then. Or never went to a Mass in another language. I went to Mass in an unfamiliar parish this weekend, and sat further back, and the lector read too fast. Good that I had a missalette. Sometimes it is sad when one cannot understand the homily, other times it is no great loss, same as in any other house of worship.

Valorrian

Yes, I know of masses in other languages. At my church they have Latin, and Spanish Masses. I think when I was younger I went to one or two in a different language. Is that where they chant in the Latin Mass? I used the missalette too. I was wondering do you know of any online Catholic churches that caption or do ASL? I'm just curious. I am just learning sign and no where fluent, but one day I might be and it would help me a lot in understanding instead of reading from the missalette.

LoveBlue

Found this: thesundaymass.org There may be others. Don't know if it's captioned.

I know in the Philadelphia area, channel 6 has a Sunday mass at 5:30. Maybe one of your local stations does the same

ecp

We are here. I wish Mass was still in Latin but I was born long after Vatican2. I did study Latin in school. Sometimes I ask for a copy of the sermon since that is the only thing that isn’t written in the handout or in the books.

Valorrian

We are here. I wish Mass was still in Latin but I was born long after Vatican2. I did study Latin in school. Sometimes I ask for a copy of the sermon since that is the only thing that isn’t written in the handout or in the books.
Can you ask for that?

Valorrian

Yes, I know the other parts. I did really well the first time I went. The second time I got a little frustrated and thought to myself why bother, but if I can get the notes it would be better. Thanks.