Any biology and chemistry majors?

mimi

Reaction score
Is there anyone here studying biology or chemistry? I've noticed that there are not many deaf people in science.
I'm profoundly deaf myself. I had AP Biology and Chemistry in high school and was a biology major in college and am currently a graduate student in biological sciences. My goal is to work as a researcher helping discover ways to cure life-threatening diseases or to improve drugs/foods. I hope to hear from people who can share experiences as a deaf biology/chemistry major.

Last edited:
I'm not in either major... but I did do AP biology and chemistry in high school too. I do have a deaf friend who graduated with a BS in nuclear biology in 2000. He's now working and making lots of money. Heh!

Cool, I have a good friend who was my biology lab teacher *deaf himself* who just recent graduated few years ago and worked at some well-known science place *cannot remember the name, eeps* and now he's in school working toward his PhD degree. He's really an awesome & amazing friend of mine. :wiggle:

VamPyroX said:
I'm not in either major... but I did do AP biology and chemistry in high school too. I do have a deaf friend who graduated with a BS in nuclear biology in 2000. He's now working and making lots of money. Heh!

Cool. How did you like those AP classes? What are you studying now?

mimi said:
Cool. How did you like those AP classes? What are you studying now?
It was alright. I got a 'C' in Biology. I also got a 'C' in Chemistry. I got lucky cuz I was wearing my "Official Cheat Shirt" in class a few times. That shirt was a popular shirt from Gadzooks at the mall. On the shirt is printed with a bunch of real information as if it was a "cheat sheet". Yes, the information was real. It contained various math formulas, periodical table elements, grammar information, etc. My teacher thought it was fake so she ignored it and never took the time to read it. My friends and I would look at my own shirt and cheat our way through our quizzes and tests. Hehehe! Lucky I didn't get caught! Heh!

I also enjoyed chemistry more than biology, not because of the shirt... but because of what we do in class.

Right now, I'm taking College Physics I. I had a test last Friday, homework yesterday, a quiz today, and another quiz on Friday. I've also got a final exam next week on Tuesday. Whew!

Along with that, I've also got a College Physics I Lab final exam tomorrow... ugh!

mimi said:
I hope to hear from people who can share experiences as a deaf biology/chemistry major.

You might be interested in reading this.

Attachments

• Careers in Science - Leveling the Playing Field for Scientists With Disabilities.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 9
Back