Another CI failure story. No improvement in speech!

She got CI several years ago. It helped somewhat for environmental sounds but no improvement in speech. Her CI started to malfunction after 5 years with the electrodes going bad. This caused headaches and electric shocks inside her head. She doesn't want another CI

hahahahahaha

excuse me, but I had to laugh...
how's that an anti- CI argument? did you actually think it over before you posted it?

It's like saying:
"She got a wheelchair several years ago. It helped somewhat with moving around,
Her wheelchair started malfunction after 5 years - a wheels fell off the wheelchair, causing her back pain and other discomfort.
She knew that without the wheelchair, she won't be able to move as well anymore
but she choose not to get another one anyway.
- it shows, not every wheelchair is a success story."

By the same token, maybe we all should get back on horses because guess what! - a cars break down too, and there are even deadly car accidents,
did you know about it??

So, if for instance your current car breaks down this very minute-
does that mean you won't get another one
because "it wasn't a success story"??? - eh????

Gimme a break!!
And, actually use your grey cells before you think up such crap!

Fuzzy

hahahahahaha

excuse me, but I had to laugh...
how's that an anti- CI argument? did you actually think it over before you posted it?

It's like saying:
"She got a wheelchair several years ago. It helped somewhat with moving around,
Her wheelchair started malfunction after 5 years - a wheels fell off the wheelchair, causing her back pain and other discomfort.
She knew that without the wheelchair, she won't be able to move as well anymore
but she choose not to get another one anyway.
- it shows, not every wheelchair is a success story."

By the same token, maybe we all should get back on horses because guess what! - a cars break down too, and there are even deadly car accidents,
did you know about it??

So, if for instance your current car breaks down this very minute-
does that mean you won't get another one
because "it wasn't a success story"??? - eh????

Gimme a break!!
And, actually use your grey cells before you think up such crap!

Fuzzy

OP you serious!!! why not you laugh!? you seems not disrespect to laught!

inappropriate, you know silly story!

that is not fair!! That is serious big on public!! you will embarrassment! Be careful!

no sense!!

Since she is on the high risk with the N5 on the other side too- should be remove both and have freedom implanted on both sides?

What did your surgeon recommend? Only the surgeon and a Cochlear representative can decide whether the other implant should be replaced.

If we choose to keep the good right implant as is and go with freedom on the left side - what is the difference in hearing? is the clarity the same with the CP800 processors?
I had the Freedom, and it is not as good as the N5.

What about upgrades in the future (compatiability) with new technologies?

Most upgrades are very likely going to be designed to be compatible with current technologies.

How long will she take to regain her hearing as it was before failure?

This is a question your surgeon should be answering. None of us know what the outcome will be.

She has been showing very slow progress and now this failure takes us back so much.

Your expectations are unrealistic. We are talking about a 1.5 year old baby. Deaf babies are not going to show the same progress as a healthy hearing baby. Plus, there could be other medical conditions that you don't know about.

And, you need to accept the fact that your baby is deaf, period. There is nothing bad about being deaf, you just need to change your method of communication. Don't let your doctor convince you that the N5 will make her hear normally. The CI is just a hearing aid, not a cure. It helps some people, not all.

that is not fair!! That is serious big on public!! you will embarrassment! Be careful!

no sense!!

I don't think you understand the concept of fuzzy's post.

i tell you I experience to impossibles! I have 9 yrs I fail doesn't work successfully I have high doubt i have already struggle on oral speech , I have already I am tried to cochlear implant is failure! already I believe it I already

impossible you believe me! many people have cochlear implant speech, you future you, education school your choice your decision! wise your choice again cochlear implant which your prefer!

I am happy profound deaf, I remove implant, I am final on implant It is doesn't work

Who is teach SPARC force to people fix on successfully impossible,I doubt who is failure to successfully not Saskatoon of university shame I sadly,well I am accept to deaf, SPARC force to many cochlear implant, cochlear implant problem on failure!

SPARC allege to deaf community i am shocked, deaf community hearthbreak, feeling SParc specailize only oral and speech no support to asl, only English

deaf people disappointment, destory on city on screw up, respect to value to common!

I don't think you understand the concept of fuzzy's post.

I am pretty sure I understand it, and I agree with Smithtr that she (fuzzy) is very disrespectful.

Also her analogy isn't really an accurate comparison.

My youngest daughter Samara was implanted when she was 1.3 years old. Now her implant age is 1 yr and 4 months old. She was implanted with the N5 bilateral implantation. Now her left implant has failed and is due for corrective surgery early Nov. My queries are:

Since she is on the high risk with the N5 on the other side too- should be remove both and have freedom implanted on both sides?

If we choose to keep the good right implant as is and go with freedom on the left side - what is the difference in hearing? is the clarity the same with the CP800 processors?

What about upgrades in the future (compatiability) with new technologies?

How long will she take to regain her hearing as it was before failure?

We have been told she needs 6 months of AVT too.
She has been showing very slow progress and now this failure takes us back so much.
There are many people with N5 in one ear and Freedom in the other.
The processors are able to handle both, so they will be the latest..
In the future, the processors will support older CI. Just like they do now.

I don't see a problem..
And one of them is working fine... Don't touch it..
But if replacing it would be an option, I would not replace both at the same time. ... One at the time would be better... Even though that means two operations, it would be good to still hear after the operation..

And regarding "takes us back"... realise that at the age your daughter is now, my daughter didn't even have CI yet.. You are still way ahead of the "game"..

no sense!!
She's spot on..

Part of the success with CI is the technology, the equipment.
A much, much bigger part of CI is the willingness of the user to work in order to get the best out of it. To solve possible problems with that occur.
Some people will not have an improvement I guess and in that case they are right to stop. But in this case the CI seemed to work fine. Turning off electrodes might have solves some problems... who knows...

(Note: if you are very pro-CI and refuse to hear both sides to CI, including any bad results, don't read this thread.)

She got CI several years ago. It helped somewhat for environmental sounds but no improvement in speech. Her CI started to malfunction after 5 years with the electrodes going bad. This caused headaches and electric shocks inside her head. She doesn't want another CI and realizes she can be a vet without being able to hear. She stands correct that people should look at both sides of CI. I always saw both sides and decided CI isn't for me because I don't want to give up my residual hearing like she did. For those who have gotten or plan to get CI, good luck with your choice.

------------------------------------------------------

Actually, no. I became profoundly deaf at 4, hearing aides worked for me for a while, I could, like you, hear airplanes and cars, and even tell when someone was talking, and sometimes I could pick up a little bit of what they were saying. I spoke fairly well, and then I got a CI. at first, it worked, not perfectly, but i could hear more things, cats meowing, birds tweeting, and that was wonderful, then i started to realize... my speech hadn't gotten better (and yes, i went to speech therapy and CI therapy) my hearing hadnt improved past that point, i still struggled to understand what people were saying, i couldn't tell the difference between a male's voice or a female's voice, i could only understand simple words like my name, no, mom, dad, hello, things like that without looking at the person's lips, and etc. about 5 years after i got the CI, i stopped wearing it, and I'm glad I did. I had started to get frequent headaches while wearing it, and I would get electrical charges more frequently than normal. People have so many positive things to say about CI's, but you should look @ both sides. I, also, want to be a vet, and it's possible even without a CI.

Is this for real ???
no 1 - she can hear more sound like cats meowing ,birds tweeting that was wonderful
no 2 - she can't tell the difference between man and lady's voice
no 3 - she can hear what people saying without lip read word like names,no ,mom ,dad and hello
no 4 - she spoke fairly well
After 5 yrs she stopped wearing CI
i am confusing
i sense some load of negative crap comment
i am being curious that all tell me if i am wrong lol .:D

She's spot on..

Part of the success with CI is the technology, the equipment.
A much, much bigger part of CI is the willingness of the user to work in order to get the best out of it. To solve possible problems with that occur.
Some people will not have an improvement I guess and in that case they are right to stop. But in this case the CI seemed to work fine. Turning off electrodes might have solves some problems... who knows...

I have few friends, It doesn't work, didn't improve successfully, profound deaf, if suppose didn't work successfully, If you CI seemed to work, if you doubt to cochlear implant, many people struggle on again and again over, start it if suppose over it , give up, teacher want obsessive handles on speech want to try on speech, what is point your speech, how you feeling stress speech failure, speech, your tried, lose your sign language, how feeling awkward, didn't understand feeling comfortable to social with friends, skills speaking to cochlear implant depend! I knew already teacher control me how feeling stress on oppress my oral no reason ,I decision straight accept deaf..

who is spending to costly on replace to electric on expensive to new implant and technology future, warrantly on have have system on many times implant problem again you failure 10 yrs! people told me, I told advise to you do it remove implant, I encourage people to remove implant , people dont' want to cochlear implant, people want to decision want to prefer to deaf, because cost to battery! people accept to life, they know many problem frustrated life long times!

I have mentioned in another thread the actual experience of Sunnybrook/Toronto since 1984. Adults "reviewed " for Implants-3000 "implanted" 1000 of which 18 didn't benefit.
Info at patients meeting late last year.

Aside -I am one of the 1000-5 years ago.

I have few friends, It doesn't work, didn't improve successfully, profound deaf, if suppose didn't work successfully, If you CI seemed to work, if you doubt to cochlear implant, many people struggle on again and again over, start it if suppose over it , give up, teacher want obsessive handles on speech want to try on speech, what is point your speech, how you feeling stress speech failure, speech, your tried, lose your sign language, how feeling awkward, didn't understand feeling comfortable to social with friends, skills speaking to cochlear implant depend! I knew already teacher control me how feeling stress on oppress my oral no reason ,I decision straight accept deaf..

who is spending to costly on replace to electric on expensive to new implant and technology future, warrantly on have have system on many times implant problem again you failure 10 yrs! people told me, I told advise to you do it remove implant, I encourage people to remove implant , people dont' want to cochlear implant, people want to decision want to prefer to deaf, because cost to battery! people accept to life, they know many problem frustrated life long times!

Can you please use English for this post? I'd like to reply.. but I can't make sense of this. Thanks. If you cannot use or do not know English, perhaps someone is willing to translate?

Can you please use English for this post? I'd like to reply.. but I can't make sense of this. Thanks. If you cannot use or do not know English, perhaps someone is willing to translate?

OP tell

I have different to translate to different to cultures ASL, reason I aware it

People frustrated, didn't understand to reading , I knew people reading,

we can help you no worry Hope be you wish patient
I know frustrated you I have native language ASL! language aware it

no worry wait Botti will translate :)

OP tell

I have different to translate to different to cultures ASL, reason I aware it

People frustrated, didn't understand to reading , I knew people reading,

we can help you no worry Hope be you wish patient
I know frustrated you I have native language ASL! language aware it

no worry wait Botti will translate :)
Well, ok, I see I am wanted here.

Bleeding Purist , Smithtr is saying that he knows many people in the deaf community where he live who were implanted. For some friends who are profoundly deaf, it didn't give improvement and they were not successful in hearing and acquiring speech.

In school oral method was forced and it was extremely stressful, and sign language was lost. It was very oppressive trying to communicate orally all the time and to depend on the oral method.

CI do have failure, and the cost to reimplant is not possible for many independent deaf adults, even the batteries can be too much cost.

There is a segment of the deaf population who would prefer to just be deaf and not rely on this technology.

I read an article recently by Rush Limbaugh, who I am not a big fan of, but he was asked by a listener about his implant. I thought if nothing else he gave a frank and honest response about his experience with his particular implant. He said he still had trouble comprehending speech and that he struggled in a noisy environment. On two occasions I have been directed to cochlear implant advocates and cochlear implant forums, where it seems everyone had nothing but positive experiences. When I asked questions regarding negative experiences some of the people got angry. This is surgery and will work for some and not others. Nothing wrong with hearing good and bad stories. I can't think of anything worse then the patient having the surgery only to find out it didn't help and then hearing the patient say, no one ever told me...

I read an article recently by Rush Limbaugh, who I am not a big fan of, but he was asked by a listener about his implant. I thought if nothing else he gave a frank and honest response about his experience with his particular implant. He said he still had trouble comprehending speech and that he struggled in a noisy environment. On two occasions I have been directed to cochlear implant advocates and cochlear implant forums, where it seems everyone had nothing but positive experiences. When I asked questions regarding negative experiences some of the people got angry. This is surgery and will work for some and not others. Nothing wrong with hearing good and bad stories. I can't think of anything worse then the patient having the surgery only to find out it didn't help and then hearing the patient say, no one ever told me...
Sometimes it does not work. Due to the body? Due to the mind?

I think that a lot depends on expectations and willingness to make it work.
This is true for adults that decided to "try" but also for the parents of children that are born deaf.
For us, the medical staff put some low expectations on the table.. in our minds they grew with hope, and with the work we did (and do) to make it work..

You are right that the focus with CI is on the success. It is part of the mental goal that is set to make it work. It is hard work, and with that you want to focus on the positive. You want to hear the success stories..
Another thing is that the negative stories are far more louder than the positive ones.
Then again.. Define success. Hearing with one ear is a big improvement compared to not hearing. But one ear will have difficulty in noisy environment and the brain uses two ears to filter out noise.
With that in mind? Is CI a failure when you have problems listening in a noisy environment?

Anyway.. I hope you have come to a conclusion if CI is for you or not.

Back