Another CI failure story. No improvement in speech!

deafdude1

Reaction score
(Note: if you are very pro-CI and refuse to hear both sides to CI, including any bad results, don't read this thread.)

She got CI several years ago. It helped somewhat for environmental sounds but no improvement in speech. Her CI started to malfunction after 5 years with the electrodes going bad. This caused headaches and electric shocks inside her head. She doesn't want another CI and realizes she can be a vet without being able to hear. She stands correct that people should look at both sides of CI. I always saw both sides and decided CI isn't for me because I don't want to give up my residual hearing like she did. For those who have gotten or plan to get CI, good luck with your choice.

------------------------------------------------------

Actually, no. I became profoundly deaf at 4, hearing aides worked for me for a while, I could, like you, hear airplanes and cars, and even tell when someone was talking, and sometimes I could pick up a little bit of what they were saying. I spoke fairly well, and then I got a CI. at first, it worked, not perfectly, but i could hear more things, cats meowing, birds tweeting, and that was wonderful, then i started to realize... my speech hadn't gotten better (and yes, i went to speech therapy and CI therapy) my hearing hadnt improved past that point, i still struggled to understand what people were saying, i couldn't tell the difference between a male's voice or a female's voice, i could only understand simple words like my name, no, mom, dad, hello, things like that without looking at the person's lips, and etc. about 5 years after i got the CI, i stopped wearing it, and I'm glad I did. I had started to get frequent headaches while wearing it, and I would get electrical charges more frequently than normal. People have so many positive things to say about CI's, but you should look @ both sides. I, also, want to be a vet, and it's possible even without a CI.

We all know you don't want one. Some people do. And it can help.

My older daughter who is hearing, watched a video of Miss Kat. She told me the kid can already talk a lot better than me. So they would work great for some people.

Please just quit it. I can't get one, so it does not affect me, but it makes a lot of people here sad and angry.

We all know you don't want one. Some people do. And it can help.

My older daughter who is hearing, watched a video of Miss Kat. She told me the kid can already talk a lot better than me. So they would work great for some people.

Please just quit it. I can't get one, so it does not affect me, but it makes a lot of people here sad and angry.

I am not telling people what to do, it's their choice. I have the right to post both pros and cons of CI in order to inform people. CI can help, but CI also may not help. If you don't want to hear anything bad about CI, don't read those threads. I am happy for Miss Kat's amazing CI success.

it's just getting really old at your negativity towards cochlear implants

And what's the issue? The risks are outlined by the FDA.

Sounds like she didn't get the problems fixed if it was malfunctioning. At least she chose to go without her CI.

Why did you read this thread then? :roll: Wow, how did I know you were going to post there soon?

souggy, there are no issues except that people get mad at me for posting stories of CI failures. How is it my fault that CI isn't 100% guaranteed to be a success? I have the right to post both stories of success and stories of failure. She wasn't benefitting from CI so she chose not to be reimplanted.

Last edited:
(Note: if you are very pro-CI and refuse to hear both sides to CI, including any bad results, don't read this thread.)

She got CI several years ago. It helped somewhat for environmental sounds but no improvement in speech. Her CI started to malfunction after 5 years with the electrodes going bad. This caused headaches and electric shocks inside her head. She doesn't want another CI and realizes she can be a vet without being able to hear. She stands correct that people should look at both sides of CI. I always saw both sides and decided CI isn't for me because I don't want to give up my residual hearing like she did. For those who have gotten or plan to get CI, good luck with your choice.

Actually, no. I became profoundly deaf at 4, hearing aides worked for me for a while, I could, like you, hear airplanes and cars, and even tell when someone was talking, and sometimes I could pick up a little bit of what they were saying. I spoke fairly well, and then I got a CI. at first, it worked, not perfectly, but i could hear more things, cats meowing, birds tweeting, and that was wonderful, then i started to realize... my speech hadn't gotten better (and yes, i went to speech therapy and CI therapy) my hearing hadnt improved past that point, i still struggled to understand what people were saying, i couldn't tell the difference between a male's voice or a female's voice, i could only understand simple words like my name, no, mom, dad, hello, things like that without looking at the person's lips, and etc. about 5 years after i got the CI, i stopped wearing it, and I'm glad I did. I had started to get frequent headaches while wearing it, and I would get electrical charges more frequently than normal. People have so many positive things to say about CI's, but you should look @ both sides. I, also, want to be a vet, and it's possible even without a CI.

To me it just another Hearsay post.

Deafdude, you have a valuable and informed perspective on hearing aids that anyone reading this forum can benefit from: share your knowledge about those.

I spent my first couple of years as a member just listening on this forum, and one of the great benefits was the first-hand account: from those with hearing aids, from those with CIs, from those who are unaided, and from the families of children who couldn't speak for themselves. Those accounts matter.

As we were weighing factors in our decision to get a CI, dBs were pretty much meaningless. The relative "happiness" of those we encountered in real life and on life was important. This is a huge generality, and so much more than the choice of hearing aid (or not) comes in to play, but across the board I saw very little bitterness in the CI users, I saw a great deal of bitterness from people like you who focus their energies on trying to tear down other people's choices. You obviously want to "sell" your choice to others, and I think it's great that you've found such benefit in your type of hearing aid. And I want to hear YOUR story. But your relentlessly bitter, baseless attacks on others just undermines your credibility: you really don't come across as a contented guy. I can't help but think that in your case it's a simple matter of sour grapes.

Please leave the CI accounts -- pro and con -- to those who are actually experiencing them. Those first-hand accounts matter. The only thing your ill-informed assessment of "CI failure" -- based on some uncited, out-of-context paragraph about someone's experience (either real or imagined) -- exposes is your own motivation to tear down options other than that which you (or your parents) have chosen for your situation.

Honestly, unless you can convince this person to come here and post themselves and/or provide a link to an actual first person account, I have a very hard time believing posts like these. There is very little value in it without some verification.

It's like "I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin's girlfriend..."

I don't believe this, also it sounds like it malfuctioned, if this person was a dedicated CI user she would do everything in order to get it working and also to use it again. But it was her choice, I respect her decision but why did she go through it not to use it?

My friend's CI malfunctioned after 13/14 years, she was getting electrical charges and the electrodes were failing(they were old) she immediately got reimplanted. But I guess it is up to the CI user.

I agree with you. You have right to correct on him. :roll: He is nothing news! I am wonder.. Where did he found this information instead link??

I think he's trying to give us as many cases of CI failure as he can so he can bombard us with stem cell info and try to get us into it.

deafdude1;1480152 I have the right to post both pros and cons of CI in order to inform people. [/QUOTE said:
I wholeheartedly agree with you that you have the right to post both pros and cons of the CI in order to inform people however you need to be careful about how you post misinformation and/or CI propaganda. This entices bias in debates therefore the pros and cons in debate is moot.

Just my :2c:

Oh you have all the right in the world...but you rarely post ANYTHING good about CI...and we get that YOU do not like CI but for others who are maybe looking into it and are new users you paint a very bad picture for them, and that's not very fair is it.

Some of that sound pretty far fetched. Can you provide the source of this information so it can be verified?

I wholeheartedly agree with you that you have the right to post both pros and cons of the CI in order to inform people however you need to be careful about how you post misinformation and/or CI propaganda. This entices bias in debates therefore the pros and cons in debate is moot.

Just my :2c:
I agree too as long as the information is based on facts that can be substantiated. I would like to see the source of this information.

I am not telling people what to do, it's their choice. I have the right to post both pros and cons of CI in order to inform people. CI can help, but CI also may not help. If you don't want to hear anything bad about CI, don't read those threads. I am happy for Miss Kat's amazing CI success.
Yes you have the right to post from both sides but you should also provide sources to back up the claims otherwise they are just claims. There is alot of misinformation out there and some people (I am not saying you are doing this) even make stuff up just to fuel the fire.

Oh you have all the right in the world...but you rarely post ANYTHING good about CI...and we get that YOU do not like CI but for others who are maybe looking into it and are new users you paint a very bad picture for them, and that's not very fair is it.

Right. If it's a case of it not working at all, then I can understand. However it was expressed that she gained more sounds, and neglected to get her implants fixed since it was mentioned that it is MALFUNCTIONING, then it's the user's responsibility to do something to fix the problems.

Otherwise, it's anti-CI propaganda without rationale logic behind it.

I am sorry to hear she have a bad experience with CI, but I don't see it as a reason to post it as a case why one should go against CIs. It's completely one=sided burdened on the user since it was malfunctioning.

Right. If it's a case of it not working at all, then I can understand. However it was expressed that she gained more sounds, and neglected to get her implants fixed since it was mentioned that it is MALFUNCTIONING, then it's the user's responsibility to do something to fix the problems.

Otherwise, it's anti-CI propaganda without rationale logic behind it.

I am sorry to hear she have a bad experience with CI, but I don't see it as a reason to post it as a case why one should go against CIs. It's completely one=sided burdened on the user since it was malfunctioning.
:gpost:

Back