Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

AGH!!!!! :pissed:
Commence hair ripping out and foot stomping!!

Recently, I tried to order a burger at a Wendy's. It was LOUD. Screaming kids. The works. The cashier had the most IMPOSSIBLE lips to read. She asked me, "snaileduimlarge fly?" I asked her to repeat it at least 3 times, with the same result. Finally, I had to get one of my good friend to repeat it. Two other cashiers were watching. One started laughing. Not a innocent giggle. This was a clutch your side kind of laugh, delivered with a sarcastic face. Needless to say, I was FURIOUS. :mad2:

I have never had that happen to me. Just upsets me how rude people can be.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Yes! And just this summer at the grocery when I went there alone. Teen cashier did a whole big eye rolling and "nevermind" to me when I was unable to figure out what she was saying.

Usually I am well known where I go, so workers don't try to engage me in conversation. This was a kid with a summer job.

It can really make you sad.

:aw:I've had that happen to me both in relation to hearing stuff and in relation to my learning disability.
Hearing people can also have a hard time understanding what I say.

Yes! And just this summer at the grocery when I went there alone. Teen cashier did a whole big eye rolling and "nevermind" to me when I was unable to figure out what she was saying.

Usually I am well known where I go, so workers don't try to engage me in conversation. This was a kid with a summer job.

:hug: I'm sorry, Botts.

How did you handle it?

I wanted to chew them all out, but I didn't want to make a big scene. So later, I simply took out my hearing aid, checked it for earwax and looked at the one lady who laughed with a innocent face. Her face=priceless! :giggle:

It bothers me that a 50+ lady would laugh so hard, though.

:hug: I'm sorry, Botts.

How did you handle it?

I wanted to chew them all out, but I didn't want to make a big scene. So later, I simply took out my hearing aid, checked it for earwax and looked at the one lady who laughed with a innocent face. Her face=priceless! :giggle:

It bothers me that a 50+ lady would laugh so hard, though.

Truthfully, not well. If I go in there at all, I try to make sure I am not in her line, which is actually a challenge because of my visual handicap.

Or if you mean what did I do at that time? I think I tried hard not to look like I might cry...

Bott, here is a thought for you that is like a hug but not a hug. A kindness and loving thought anyway...

Truthfully, not well. If I go in there at all, I try to make sure I am not in her line, which is actually a challenge because of my visual handicap.

Or if you mean what did I do at that time? I think I tried hard not to look like I might cry...

Aww, Botts... :hug:
You're an amazing person. You don't deserve that treatment. No one does.

AGH!!!!! :pissed:
Commence hair ripping out and foot stomping!!

Recently, I tried to order a burger at a Wendy's. It was LOUD. Screaming kids. The works. The cashier had the most IMPOSSIBLE lips to read. She asked me, "snaileduimlarge fly?" I asked her to repeat it at least 3 times, with the same result. Finally, I had to get one of my good friend to repeat it. Two other cashiers were watching. One started laughing. Not a innocent giggle. This was a clutch your side kind of laugh, delivered with a sarcastic face. Needless to say, I was FURIOUS. :mad2:

I have never had that happen to me. Just upsets me how rude people can be.
Has anyone else had this experience?

I can totally empathise. I shared a similar story a while back which was the pivoting point for me in my life. (My hat goes off to you Botts, I was not so strong - I bawled my eyes out). These situations right here are what gets me up on my soapbox and on my campaign trail. The injustice of it makes my blood boil. Ignorance is not bliss. People need to be educated, and in this era of the Information highway through the Internet and media, there is no excuse for ignorance in my opinion.

I can totally empathise. I shared a similar story a while back which was the pivoting point for me in my life. (My hat goes off to you Botts, I was not so strong - I bawled my eyes out). These situations right here are what gets me up on my soapbox and on my campaign trail. The injustice of it makes my blood boil. Ignorance is not bliss. People need to be educated, and in this era of the Information highway through the Internet and media, there is no excuse for ignorance in my opinion.

:grouphug:

Perfect, BecLak, perfect. Ignorance is an evil thing, sometimes.

I just got mad, though. To me, it wasn't worth crying about- but I have been forced to be tough. I don't cry about such blunt rudeness anymore. No need to give them more ammo to shoot me with. I had to teach myself as a child to hold my emotions in, so maybe I could educate them and make a difference in them. Normally, I can tolerate ignorance and be patient and calm. But this time, I got so mad. What right do you have to be laughing at someone for being slightly different?

Today I went to a gas station to redeem my gas reward code that my mother had given to me. I had no clue how to use it. I went inside to inquire how. I went up to the cashier and showed them the ticket and said, "how do I use it?". He said something I didn't understand. What I caught was, "how much gas do you need"? I found it odd because people don't usually know exactly how much gas we need. I don't pay attention honestly how much gas I use so I said, "I don't know, maybe 9 gallons". He said something then I told him to write it down. He wrote down, "$35.00". I said, "what? no way". He gave me a look as if to say yes I'm sorry it is. Figuring it's a misunderstanding I repeated, how do I use this reward? He shrugged and walked away. I wrote down, "I don't know how much gas I need". I looked for him, didn't see him then I leaned over the counter, saw him hiding from me refusing to come back! I looked at him and showed him the paper. He reluctantly returned back and read it. Repeated it $35.00. Hell with it. $35.00 for 9 gallons of gas? Ridiculous. Was he trying to rip me off or a misunderstanding, I don't know. I left saying, I'll go elsewhere!

Turns out I can't find another gas station of that brand to redeem my reward so I filled up my car with regular priced gas. That reward expires in 8/16 so there's no chance for me to use it again before then.

After I got home, I went online to contact the company. They responded back quickly saying they will forward it to that particular station. Then another email saying he is owner of the station and heard about my bad experience, to give him a call to discuss it.

I googled his name, and saw his picture and realized that it was the owner himself that I spoke with. smh...

What a day.....every stop I made I ran into problems with hearing people. The one that really got me was.....I ran into an old "friend" that I have not seen in years. I let her know I was deaf now, her response as she thought I was joking "no way, you talk fine". She is a nurse practitioner!!! I couldn't help myself and said "I lost my hearing not my voice" and that pretty much ended the conversation. SMH

Laugh. Just laugh at the hearings! The ignorant hearings are the WORSE, so LAUGH! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I dont' worry about them, I breeze by them, I do my thing, and just ignore the morons, ha ha ha ha ha!

I'm deaf, I am living in MY WORLD, they are not! Ha ha ha ha! It's GREAT! I don't worry about them, I don't worry about ANY of them! I IGNORES them. I do my own thing, and not worry nor waste my energies on THEM! Ha ha ha ha ha!

I have a hearing brother, two years YOUNGER than me, but he is the WORSE arsehole on the planet. He did the stupid hearing thing, do drugs, do booze, and thinks those things don't messes him up. Well, hello, after 20 years of doing booze and drugs, he's surprised he's sick, not well, and having to go to doctors every two weeks or whatever for handholding or whatever. Stupid idiot. I NEVER touch drugs if I can help it, and booze almost less. I refuse to touch things that might ****s me up one iota! Only MORONS does that. That's why they're MORONS! Ha ha ha ha!

I learns to avoid copying the moron ever since I was a kid. He'd do dumb stuff, and I'd see, and avoids it, and he never gets it. I see danger ahead, and I'd try to tell him, he thinks I'm stupid, so I shuts up and never tells him a thing, he can learn on his own. Dumb hearing morons!

I do not care about anyone, I do not care at all anymore. I used to care, but not anymore. Nice since that bitch broke my heart, and I'll never trust anyone ever again. The only one I trust is me and lord Jesus, that's it, nothing else. Everyone on this entire planet are untrustworthy liars and dirty whores, that's all. I'll NEVER trust a woman ever again, and never trust a man as well.

My trust is worth GOLD, and everyone FAILED ME. They can **** off! I do my own thing, live single life and no more stress and worry about love and trust and such. Better to be single and happy, than to worry about whores behind your backs!

I am STRONGER than them! Ha ha ha ha ha! I'm having FUN! And I LAUGH at the stupid hearings and the whores and scum out there, ha ha ha ha! They're all DUMB! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I'll NEVER lifts a finger to help anyone, they all can go to HELL! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Story Time.

I grew up in the hearing world, of course.
What I find hilarious is...
When someone is calling for me (And they do know I'm hard of hearing) and I can't hear them (unless they're face-face with me, or taps me to let me know they're talking to me) they YELL for my name. Everyone around looks at me, the person comes up to me and says "ARE YOU DEAF?!" Me: Why yes, yes I am. I wear hearing aids... have a FM System... I use this and that... Them: Whoops, my bad. Me: Well duh. Next time you want to say something, come towards me, tap me don't yell at me.

Or what drives me insane is when I didn't hear what my parents said and they say "ARE YOU WEARING YOUR HEARING AIDS?!" Of course I am! Just speak slowly or look at me while talking to me!

Another one -
When someone is trying to spell something and I can't hear the letters individually I have to ask them to say a word that has the letter in the beginning of that word. Example: The word is... "Gratitude" and I can't hear the difference between G/E/T I have to ask them to say "T as in table" whenever they say that they look embarrassed. Well sorry I can't hear individual letters because they all sound the same to me!
Then after they're done spelling that word they run to their friends and talk about me saying how stupid I am. They're so sweet :') I seriously feel the love... yep.

I adore the hearing world, but sometimes I just want to scream out of frustration!
If you know what I mean....

ugh okay a little back story, I got laid off a couple weeks ago, I'm still looking for a job. There was a posting on craigslist yesterday for a massage room for rent, cheap, in a gym less than a mile from my apartment. There was only a phone number listed for contact, they weren't asking for a resume to be emailed to them. So I just drove down there and talked to the girl at their front desk.

I explain who I am, that I'd seen their ad but that I'm hard of hearing and couldn't call to talk to Charlotte but is she available so I can set up a time for an interview. The girl points at the back and say "blah blah wah wah wah" I don't know, then she proceeds to hand me a brochure and points out the phone number I should call on it.

WTF are f'ing retarded? Seriously I just finished explaining that I'm standing in front of you because I can't talk on the phone and you're to give me a phone number to call??? Just let that roll around in head for a minute you dolt.

OMG people are going to be the death of me, I'm going to have an aneurysm. At the bottom of my resume I added a bit explaining I"m HOH and apologizing for the inconvenience but can they please contact by text message or email at the contacts I provided. What do you want to bet Charlotte is going to call?

The girl points at the back and say "blah blah wah wah wah" I don't know, then she proceeds to hand me a brochure and points out the phone number I should call on it.

Usually people who work the front desk don't care and even if you were hearing she'd still be a pain in the ass. It's just one of those realities when you work with someone who makes minimum wage, you're not going to get million dollar work out of them! :roll:

The other day, one of the employee came to my office and asked me if I have any extra speakers for his research, and I told him I do have some. Found speakers and power supply and gave it to him, he said, "are you sure you don't need it?" I was looking at him and reply "I'm deaf". He look at me with embarrassment and apologize pathetically....

The other day, one of the employee came to my office and asked me if I have any extra speakers for his research, and I told him I do have some. Found speakers and power supply and gave it to him, he said, "are you sure you don't need it?" I was looking at him and reply "I'm deaf". He look at me with embarrassment and apologize pathetically....

I don't think him asking as completely out of place. I have found a number of people on here that refer to themselves as deaf that can hear some. We even have a thread that is asking what you are listening to!

It is a compliment when a hearing person doesn't think of you as a deaf person. They forget sometimes. I've had people forget that I am deaf. I like that because then I am treated equally.

On the other hand, I have some people in my life who think of me as Deaf first and really treat me like one. That I don't like too much.

Just asked my husband to repeat something and he got visibly irritable said never mind. It rarely happens but when it does it's doubly annoying. It would only take him 2 seconds!

Back