Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Im new here... Really wanna learn ASL!!

Hey im new here.
Is learning ASL hard? I really do wanna learn tho...:P

I'm hearing and one thing that I have (and I feel I shouldn't) is strong (bordering on militant) opinions that I'm really reluctant to share with anyone from the Deaf community because what if they are actually ignorant and wrong. Making me a bigoted horrible person.

never see a cashier do that....most of the time have no trouble have to ask if being little over sensitive,some people are rude some deaf people very rude live let live,expect and accept and put each other right when need arise...i had more pig ignorent people in respect to my daughter who brain damage very bad but not deaf

got dang it..I was in Canton,OH today (95 miles from my home) and another female cashier did exactly the same thang..a good lookin blonde.. :naughty:

Been there..

Lol, I've had just about everything. I've had people grab me (ignorant WalMart employee), I've had churches completely ignore me, it's pretty bad sometimes.

I can so totally relate to every single thing you posted just now.

I totally hate the "I'll pray for you" -- I've had that numerous times. Pray for what? Nothing's wrong with me, ma'am or sir!

As a "hearing person", (although my wife swears that I am deaf as I like to listen to the TV with the volume WAY up) I don't understand the above comment at all.

To the degree possible, I can appreciate the frustration of dealing with people who do not understand what it means to be deaf. I also understand your aversion to the statement, "I'll pray for you", although I'm sure any person who says that means well and deserves a polite "Thank you" IMO.

The statement "Nothing is wrong with me, ma'am or sir" is what I (as a hearing person) do not understand. From the perspective of a person who is trying to communicate with you, there is something wrong. The natural human mode of oral communication is not able to be utilized. Whatever the cause, deafness is a deficiency that causes difficulty in communciation between "hearing" and "deaf" or "HOH" persons. It is definitely a problem, and something is definitely wrong. Obviously it does not lessen the value of any person. I believe we are all of equal value in God's eyes.

So, I've probably stuck my foot in it here. If you (of the deaf community) find this offensive, I apologize in advance. It certainly is not the purpose of this post. I just think it is important to acknowledge the reality of any given situation, and look at from different perspectives.

All the best!
Ron

Last edited:
Lol, I've had just about everything. I've had people grab me (ignorant WalMart employee), I've had churches completely ignore me, it's pretty bad sometimes.

Wow, that's tough..glad I dont attend church. This kind of bullshit upsets me,ya know. It's always something.

I have had a few people that i explained very CLEARLY that i was deaf and can not understand them. They just don't get it and keep on talking.... have this happened to anyone... I have had them ask me why my mom drives when she is deaf. :P so annoying!

Hii

I'm new here but I just wanted to post what happened to me a few days ago. A guy walked up to me at the bus stop and told me he was always trying to say "hi" to me while at the store alot of times. I apologized and informed him that I'm HOH and can't always pick up voices and stuff. So he then screamed in my ear his earlier statement (made my HA ring). I said "Look here, don't gotta yell I was just telling you. Just let me look at you when ur talking" He apologized and we resumed to normal converstaion. Oy!

Wirelessly posted

"You didn't pay enough attention nor listened carefully to what I said"

It sux when ppl say that to me too. or If I'm with someone else, and a stranger approaches next thing I hear is "SHE BETTER ANSWER ME!" like he is about to stab me or something b/c I didnt hear what he said. lol

To the degree possible, I can appreciate the frustration of dealing with people who do not understand what it means to be deaf. I also understand your aversion to the statement, "I'll pray for you", although I'm sure any person who says that means well and deserves a polite "Thank you" IMO.

All the best!
Ron
If someone says "I will pray for you" or "I am sorry" to me, that means that this person sees that I am abnormal because I am Deaf. No, I will not thank him/her.

If someone says "I will pray for you" or "I am sorry" to me, that means that this person sees that I am abnormal because I am Deaf. No, I will not thank him/her.

It is not the words but how they are said and what actions follow! Below is what I found to be great even though it uses the same words.

I was alone in the cabin that we used for prep space for our booth at our church camp & conference center fall festival (which is a BIG money raising project). A gal came in the door and said something. I don't remember my exact words in telling her that I could not hear enough to understand her. But . . . her response was to say "I am sorry" and moved closer and repeated what she wanted to know in a slightly louder but normal tone. I then told her where what she wanted was, was thanked and she went on her way.

It is not the words but how they are said and what actions follow! Below is what I found to be great even though it uses the same words.

I was alone in the cabin that we used for prep space for our booth at our church camp & conference center fall festival (which is a BIG money raising project). A gal came in the door and said something. I don't remember my exact words in telling her that I could not hear enough to understand her. But . . . her response was to say "I am sorry" and moved closer and repeated what she wanted to know in a slightly louder but normal tone. I then told her where what she wanted was, was thanked and she went on her way.
That's a different story. I was talking about someone who feels sorry for me because I am Deaf like when someone speaks to me verbally and I tell this person that I am deaf, then this person asks, "You deaf?" and looks at me with sadness saying "Oh, I am sorry". What does that mean? That means this person thinks deafness is abnormal but it is NOT. That's how I feel. Yours is different so don't tell me how to feel. OK? Please respect my opinion. No need to discuss it further. And no need for people to say "I will pray for you" or "I am sorry". Do you say things like that to blind people? BTW, rthib1960 already apologized in advance.

I resent the "I am so sorry" stuff, too. Had an aunt who kept saying it multiple times a day when I visited her after I had to start wearing hearing aids. Finally I told her hey, the grief is over, OK? I went through the fury and anger and grief and tears, and now I just want to get on with my life, right? Not stay stuck in those negative emotions. She just couldn't get it. :(

Just got my feelings hurt, someone commented in another site on my poem about about my hearing loss that they were getting laser surgery cause their fear is going blind when they get old.. they would rather be "deaf and dumb (blind and mute)" was the exact words they used!!!! wth???? Oh well, I think it's to late on the latter part of that statement about being dumb, couldn't belive they actually said that, but if they're that senseless that they could say that to someone who is actually going deaf not in fear of it what would be the point of saying anything? Am I missing something?

Oh my goodness, when people see others with glasses do they walk up to them and say I'll pray for you? Why would I need prayer for not hearing, I'd just answer back "And I'll be praying very strongly for you as well!" Hopefully they don't ask why!!! LOL!!! You know, that God opens your heart and mind ...it seems to be impaired! Haha!!!

Lest I be judged by those who frequent this site. I thought I should throw in a story.

I'm constantly annoyed by certain ignorant hearing people at my place of work. Here is one example. The boss hired a friend and uses this person to perform tasks normally done by me. The reason being, so he wouldn't have to deal with accommodations required to communicate with me. So basically, my job is in support of everyone else in my department, except him. I have come to realize that some people lack the skills and desire necessary to change.

Lest I be judged by those who frequent this site. I thought I should throw in a story.

I'm constantly annoyed by certain ignorant hearing people at my place of work. Here is one example. The boss hired a friend and uses this person to perform tasks normally done by me. The reason being, so he wouldn't have to deal with accommodations required to communicate with me. So basically, my job is in support of everyone else in my department, except him. I have come to realize that some people lack the skills and desire necessary to change.
If you were replaced because you are deaf, not because your job performance was poor, then it's an act of discrimination.

Hey im new here.
Is learning ASL hard? I really do wanna learn tho...:P

I have never attempted to learn ASL, so I don't know. What I do know is, if a person truly wants to learn something, whether difficult or not, requires determination and effort.

Why not just do it?

Back