Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I only agree partially. How much teaching does one need to understand that you do not laugh at someone that does not understand you? Whose fault is it if someone does not understand someone else?

Honestly, if someone can not understand me, I believe it is because I have failed at communicating not because the receiver has failed in understanding.

I worked retail for over 15 years and there are plenty of ways to find mutual communication IF you take your time and try something new when the first method does not work.

I was at the gym the other day, sitting int he hot tub and a woman moved over to give me more personal space since there were so few people in the hot tub. She sat so that her profile was facing me and then she proceed to ask me questions. I could not hear her. I had to move closer to her and ask her what she had said. She made horribly exasperated faces at me as she repeated herself, still in profile, still talking at the same volume. She was upset because she had moved further away and now I was moving closer and now she had to repeat herself so many times. She ignored the fact that I was straining to see her face and she did not attempt to do anything differently.

Doing the same thing in the same way over and over and expecting different results is a sign of insanity ;)

Oh, and I am hearing. I may not have the best hearing but it is only a mild loss from too much loud music and too many drag races without protection.

Why didn't you just tell the woman in the tub you have a hearing problem and couldn't follow what she said?

LOL! I told her, "I can't hear you. I can't hear anything over the noise of the hot tub."

My partner was in the hot tub with us and of course I could hear her BUT she was sitting right next to me, speaking louder, looking at me and it is a voice I know.

I guess she figured that if I could hear my partner, I could figure out what she was saying. Despite the fact that the circumstances were different!

LOL! I told her, "I can't hear you. I can't hear anything over the noise of the hot tub."

My partner was in the hot tub with us and of course I could hear her BUT she was sitting right next to me, speaking louder, looking at me and it is a voice I know.

I guess she figured that if I could hear my partner, I could figure out what she was saying. Despite the fact that the circumstances were different!

well, now you get a sense of what it's like to be in our world.

I had to tell someone yesterday "I refuse to have a conversation with you until you meet me half way."

Then there was silence as he assumed a perturbed look, flapped his mouth around silently like he didn't know what to say and then proceeded to yell at me because, even though I had asked him to face me when speaking about 8 different times he still thought I should understand him while his back was turned, his head looking up into book shelves and mumbling.

I just don't get some people.

I wonder what sound a hot tub makes. Is it the bubbling water or ??

I wonder what sound a hot tub makes. Is it the bubbling water or ??
The motor that operates the jets and makes the bubbles is very loud, particularly because the gym I go to has a the hot tub by the pool where there is a very high roof and the sounds echo in the large space.

Yep, hot tub motors & jets are a lot louder than I thought. Most of us don't realize how loud they are since we leave our aids in the locker room.

I only agree partially. How much teaching does one need to understand that you do not laugh at someone that does not understand you? Whose fault is it if someone does not understand someone else?

Honestly, if someone can not understand me, I believe it is because I have failed at communicating not because the receiver has failed in understanding.

I worked retail for over 15 years and there are plenty of ways to find mutual communication IF you take your time and try something new when the first method does not work.

I was at the gym the other day, sitting int he hot tub and a woman moved over to give me more personal space since there were so few people in the hot tub. She sat so that her profile was facing me and then she proceed to ask me questions. I could not hear her. I had to move closer to her and ask her what she had said. She made horribly exasperated faces at me as she repeated herself, still in profile, still talking at the same volume. She was upset because she had moved further away and now I was moving closer and now she had to repeat herself so many times. She ignored the fact that I was straining to see her face and she did not attempt to do anything differently.

Doing the same thing in the same way over and over and expecting different results is a sign of insanity ;)

Oh, and I am hearing. I may not have the best hearing but it is only a mild loss from too much loud music and too many drag races without protection.

Unfortunately, some people are just unable to look beyond their own little worlds. Of course, the definition of insanity MUST come into play when dealing with these sorts of people.

All in all, I wish I could apologize for the wrongs done by all demographics that I fit into (caucasian, hearing, etc.) but all I can do is learn and vow not to repeat the rudeness that others portray. I hope that my presence here, and attempts at learning, at least speak for who I am as a person rather than the actions of others.

Yep, hot tub motors & jets are a lot louder than I thought. Most of us don't realize how loud they are since we leave our aids in the locker room.
One would think that they could make them quieter since they are made for relaxation.

One would think that they could make them quieter since they are made for relaxation.

Obviously I don't hear the tubs when I'm in one but I still jump a little bit when the engine switches as the jet streams start, the vibrations can be intense - it's like whoa! then ahhhhhhhhh.

The motor that operates the jets and makes the bubbles is very loud, particularly because the gym I go to has a the hot tub by the pool where there is a very high roof and the sounds echo in the large space.

I always imagine the sounds. Don't know why since I cannot hear them... It's especially funny if I step out and it shuts off I'm still "hearing" the sounds until I realize that it's not running anymore. :P

I always imagine the sounds. Don't know why since I cannot hear them... It's especially funny if I step out and it shuts off I'm still "hearing" the sounds until I realize that it's not running anymore. :P
I have done something very similar. I see the dryer is running and I go into a different room. I can still hear it running. Later, I will find out that the dryer stopped but swear that I could still hear it running. I guess I remembered the sound more than heard the sound since it had stopped.

I thought I was going crazy.

RedCoyotesRose - out of curiosity, do you have ignorant hearing stories to share with us since that's the theme of this thread?

"But you heard that!" about anything and everything. No, I appeared to hear you droning on at me about goodness knows what because I nodded my head a bit here and there. I presumed that person was making small talk because he moved his mouth at me so I answered with a generic response which covers everything from "Cold out today" to "I hate getting up this early". I left when the fire alarm went off because everyone else left, I followed them. I'm not a moron. Equally "She heard that" about my daughter. Yes, she understands me, her mother whom she sees every day of her life, when I bang on the floor for her to face me, beckon her over close and let her look at me while I talk loudly to her. Not the same as being able to hear anything and everything.

"You are lucky that you are deaf"

How many times have we been told that?

I never forget this moment... One day, I went to HersheyPark with my church group for some teen conference and we decided to eat Subway for lunch. I ordered a Chicken Teriyaki(sp?) sub. This stupid teenaged guy decided to make fun of me as I pointed at lettuce, then I told him to get his boss to talk to me so he did. I explained to him about the whole thing and guess what? That guy got fired on the spot and I never return to HersheyPark again.

I never forget this moment... One day, I went to HersheyPark with my church group for some teen conference and we decided to eat Subway for lunch. I ordered a Chicken Teriyaki(sp?) sub. This stupid teenaged guy decided to make fun of me as I pointed at lettuce, then I told him to get his boss to talk to me so he did. I explained to him about the whole thing and guess what? That guy got fired on the spot and I never return to HersheyPark again.

So you refuse to return to the park because of something that happened even though they fixed the problem? Am I missing something here?

I got one just happened today... I fact it happened twice today. I flew Delta for a business trip and when I got off the first aircraft there was a wheelchair waiting for me. I thought it was funny and just ignored it. I transferred to another plane and arrived at my destination. When I got off the second plane, again there was someone waiting for me with a wheel chair. Ok, still funny but also very stupid. One time ok, y'all are making a mistake, twice then you got a problem with your own system. I put in a note that I am deaf just in case there is a delay or emergency hopefully someone will tell me what's up. I don't really enjoy seeing the wheel chair. I'm deaf. Not disabled. My appologies to everyone reading this that has mobility issues and use a wheelchair. Honestly if I needed a wheelchair, I would put down wheelchair not deaf. Let's all use some common sense... Oops, yeah right, it's Delta we're talking about here.

Back