Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Wirelessly posted

Why is it when you tell people you are Voice-off, they still proceed to ask you if you want/have hearing aids? :rolleyes:

It's ignorance. It happens to every minority...Deaf, racial, gay and lesbian, blind, etc...sorry if I missed yours. It's a fact of life, you gotta deal. Its easier to expect that hearies are going to be noobish about Deaf experience But the stories are freekin hilarious...keep em coming.

Ok, here is mine. Apple products always auto-correct hearies as "hearties.". WTF?

A man screamed at me saying "YOU CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH?" after I told him I can't hear. The man was drunk at the time and his constant screaming made me want to cut his tongue off and punch him in the adam's apple. But of course I didn't do anything and just waited until he shut the f*** up.

Hahaha-
Ambrosia talking into sleeve - "The suspect is entering now. I've been made. Complete the search of his house and have the dogs check out his car."

:lol:

Reminds me of way back when underground raves were a big thing. I learned early on to not wear my HA. People thought I was a narc.

agents-matrix-businessmen-suit.jpg

I'm a bit surprised I haven't read this one. Happened to me all the time as a kid, and on a rare occasion as an adult.

People would get the idea it would be funny to silently mouth words to me so I'd think my HA isn't working. Seemingly oblivious to the fact that I still hear the background noise. Never one on one... Always putting on a show for a crowd.

In high school I had a wrestling teammate try it on me. The first time I called him out on how foolish he was. The second occasion the same thing but made it clear don't do it again. The third time he came to lying on his back bleeding profusely from his nose.

Not condoning violence (I was a dumb kid)

My stupid mistakes as a hearing person

I went to lake compounce with my boyfriend a few weeks ago, and I met a deaf man at the park. I had unfortunately been unable to continue my lessons, so I was a bit rusty. We signed a little bit, just enough to trade names, say that we enjoyed that particular ride, and talk about whether or not I could sign and how I wanted to learn some more. I just remember being profoundly embarrassed because I made some obvious and stupid mistakes.

I had on huge glasses because of the sun; I forgot to take them off my face so that he could see my eyes. I also felt terrible that I had such limited ASL knowledge, and so I couldn't really have a decent conversation with him. I fumbled with my signs and messed up a lot. Either way, I was really pleased that he was so nice to me, especially with my mistakes. As soon as I'm able, I will be getting back into my lessons. Unfortunately the timing was off before.:dunno2:

I went to lake compounce with my boyfriend a few weeks ago, and I met a deaf man at the park. I had unfortunately been unable to continue my lessons, so I was a bit rusty. We signed a little bit, just enough to trade names, say that we enjoyed that particular ride, and talk about whether or not I could sign and how I wanted to learn some more. I just remember being profoundly embarrassed because I made some obvious and stupid mistakes.

I had on huge glasses because of the sun; I forgot to take them off my face so that he could see my eyes. I also felt terrible that I had such limited ASL knowledge, and so I couldn't really have a decent conversation with him. I fumbled with my signs and messed up a lot. Either way, I was really pleased that he was so nice to me, especially with my mistakes. As soon as I'm able, I will be getting back into my lessons. Unfortunately the timing was off before.:dunno2:

When you were signing to him, the sunglasses is really distracting sometimes unless the Deaf signer are not bothered with your sunglasses. Usually the Deaf signer like to look at your face for expression, not the eyes only, the whole face for expression. I am glad he was patient with you when you are having trouble signing to him and made some mistakes. Yes, you need to improve your signs so that you can sign better with him or any Deaf people. There should be a Deaf event where you can meet more Deaf people if you feel like signing with them. Remember remove your sunglasses for the full face expression. Only wear the prescription glasses that you need to see like regular glasses. That is all I want to say to clear that up. :cool2:

I was in Wal Mart once and there was this stupid cashier in her early 20's very late teens...who was trying to flirt with my husband who completely ignored her. And she looked over at Charlie (my service dog) and was said, "You can't bring animals into the store." I said, "I'm sorry, can you not read? And pointed to his vest and said, "Do you see that, it says HEARING DOG" (I slowly enunciated this for her.) And she looked at me in disgust and said, "What are you deaf." I said, "Very good...yes I am." And turned to my husband and said, "She actually might have some knowledge in that head of hers." She turned back to my husband and continued to try and flirt with him. He then said to her, "Is there some reason you are making scary googly faces at me? Or is it just because your slow?" He just gave it right back to her...I love him so much. Neither of us could stop laughing, we also reported her to her manager.

You guys are AWESOME! :laugh2:

A drunk hearing man who was sipping double shot glasses of whiskey at the bar asked me, "How the fack can you understand me if your deaf?" I told him that I can hear with my hearing aids a bit and that I can read lips pretty well. My ex, who is hearing, was explaining to the man about my hearing loss. That drunk man started to cry about me being deaf while i was trying not to laugh. He was cool for buying me and my ex a couple of drinks. :giggle:

A drunk hearing man who was sipping double shot glasses of whiskey at the bar asked me, "How the fack can you understand me if your deaf?" I told him that I can hear with my hearing aids a bit and that I can read lips pretty well. My ex, who is hearing, was explaining to the man about my hearing loss. That drunk man started to cry about me being deaf while i was trying not to laugh. He was cool for buying me and my ex a couple of drinks. :giggle:

That guy's got issues. :lol:

I, as a hearing person, can't even begin to express how embarrassing it is to be in the same category as these people you are all writing about. x_x

I didn't actually witness this man saying anything, but this evening I was at a Deaf Coffee Chat at a Panera Bread and my son always goes with me in case I fall. He will sit nearby and while I am sitting with everyone, he will surf the internet or read at fanfiction.org. Seems he overheard some man sitting at a nearby table making all kinds of rude comments about the "handicapped people who can't talk". My son said he just about decked the guy. He explained that we were deaf/hoh people who meet monthly for a chat and visit and have a good time. This guy went on to say that we shouldn't meet in public and ruin things for the "able bodied people". Son got really mad, and went to get the manager. Explained what was going on and the man was asked to leave. I was told all this on the way home as my back was to him.

:laugh2: :laugh2:..Love this story!....It's happened to me before also and I offered the man a napkin to dry his eyes....:giggle:

I get weird attention from certain folks b/c I wear a hearing aid. I really dont mind about the attention, hey whynot. Anyway, after I ordered my meal at Wendy's the other day, this female cashier stand back and looked up as she was coolin herself. I looked up to see and she was standin right under the a/c on ceilin. I then looked at her and she smiled right at me. I guess a lot of deafies are mentally challenged. :lol:

I get weird attention from certain folks b/c I wear a hearing aid. I really dont mind about the attention, hey whynot. Anyway, after I ordered my meal at Wendy's the other day, this female cashier stand back and looked up as she was coolin herself. I looked up to see and she was standin right under the a/c on ceilin. I then looked at her and she smiled right at me. I guess a lot of deafies are mentally challenged. :lol:
Maybe a hearing aid turns her on so she had to cool off like that?

Last edited:
The best thing to happen is when we go into a restaurant as a family. My sister is the only one who speaks as she is hearing. My dad can speak but refuses to.

Yesterday we were in the restaurant and we were signing all out in conversations at the table. The waitress came up and took our drink order and was really friendly. She did not seem to mind that we were deaf or anything. She even gave us free dessert for not getting angry when she misunderstood my father's drink order. My sister normally translates for us when my parents get lazy and feel like the "hearing world owes us for the stupidity in it."

So, while we are eating people are staring at us and my sister suddenly gets very angry. She gets really red faced and turns to a table next to us and starts yelling.

Apparently, the table said, "How can those people be allowed to take that table? Those stupid deaf people are going to order so much food we cannot get ours out faster."

Then the table was shocked that my sister was a hearie and then an argument broke out. Then my dad got mad at my sister for calling hearie people out on their stupidity and said all hearing people were stupid. My sister got upset for this and asked if he meant her too and my dad responded she had her stupid moments because she didn't know what it was like to be deaf.

Unfortunately, my parents really dislike hearing people a lot. So, they fight with my sister a lot and I felt bad for her last night. But I was glad that she was defending us and called the people out on their remarks.

Speaking of fast food restaurant stories. Yesterday, my brother and I stopped by Taco bell after work. He doesnt have any speech skills but he knows how to communicate with hearing people very well. So, he went first to put his order in and told the lady he wanted tacos. The lady spoke so sloowly "HHHHHHHHHAAAAAARRRRDDD or SSSSSSSOOOOFFFTTT?" My brother signed "hard as an erection." When I saw what he signed, I tried so hard not to laugh but the cashier didnt catch the obvious ASL sign for "erection". So he got his order in and then my brother told me that he will grab salsa for me. I signed back, "Sure" and then went to order for myself. Yes, I have speech skills so I used them. The lady said to me, "Please tell your client that his order number is this and that and pls tell him thank you for coming to taco bell." I almost started laughing...she thinks my brother is from a group home and I am his one-on-one resident counselor. I tried to keep a straight face while order because I was thinking of the sign he used and what she said. I was so tired so when I am that tired, I laugh easily. Then, I got my order and went to get my drink. Told my brother what the cashier said to me and that she probably thinks he is low functioning so my brother was like, "Fine...she assumes because I cant speak, I am low-functioning...ok, I will act like one." So, he proceeded to act like one in the restaurant but with very exagerrated goofy facial expressions and arm movements. I told him to STOP because I could not contain my laugher so I got my order and ran out of the restaurant and bust out laughing in the parking lot. I told my brother that he was bad!

He said if the lady cashier wanted to stereotype deaf people then I will give her what she wants.
:laugh2: that is so great x'D

I was doing my motorcycle course and the instructor said "I reckon deaf drivers are better drivers, they actually pay attention to the road!"

^^ That's not annoying btw... for me anyway.

First of all...I don't wish deafness on anyone, however I am so grateful to have found others who struggle with this everyday problem.

Everyday I have to tell someone, "I'm sorry, I'm deaf...can you look at me?" I suppose I shouldn't use the I'm sorry part...How do others out there address this to the hearing?

At a work related birthday celebration, everyone was gathering in the conference room to sing happy birthday. A co-worker said "When Diane comes in the room, let's everyone lip-sync so she's the only one singing." Man, people piss me off!

I actually had a person at AT&T today on the phone ask me why I would have a landline and internet if there were deaf and hoh people in the house. I told her, in the family of 5, there was 1 deaf, 2 hoh, (1 mild 1 severe) and 2 hearing people and that the internet was required for my VP. She then said she didn't know what a VP was and why did I need it. She was an idiot.

Back