Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I'm hearing, and I used to work at McDonald's. I am not fluent in ASL, but everytime we had a Deaf customer, I would tell the other workers to send them to my register so we could all avoid confusion, and make ordering a little easier on the customer. One day, I had a customer come up to me and sign their order. I tried to confirm everything, but just to be sure, they wanted to write it down. I got the woman a pad and pen, and she wrote everything down. A shift manager saw us chatting through sign, came over, snatched the paper away, handed her a menu in braile, and spoke really loud and slowly "POINT FOOD YOU WANT PLEASE. HAVE NICE DAY THANK YOU." The customer was really offended and angry, and I had to apologize profusely to her.

Seriously!? Braile menu? She's Deaf, not blind, stupid :roll:

Speaking of fast food restaurant stories. Yesterday, my brother and I stopped by Taco bell after work. He doesnt have any speech skills but he knows how to communicate with hearing people very well. So, he went first to put his order in and told the lady he wanted tacos. The lady spoke so sloowly "HHHHHHHHHAAAAAARRRRDDD or SSSSSSSOOOOFFFTTT?" My brother signed "hard as an erection." When I saw what he signed, I tried so hard not to laugh but the cashier didnt catch the obvious ASL sign for "erection". So he got his order in and then my brother told me that he will grab salsa for me. I signed back, "Sure" and then went to order for myself. Yes, I have speech skills so I used them. The lady said to me, "Please tell your client that his order number is this and that and pls tell him thank you for coming to taco bell." I almost started laughing...she thinks my brother is from a group home and I am his one-on-one resident counselor. I tried to keep a straight face while order because I was thinking of the sign he used and what she said. I was so tired so when I am that tired, I laugh easily. Then, I got my order and went to get my drink. Told my brother what the cashier said to me and that she probably thinks he is low functioning so my brother was like, "Fine...she assumes because I cant speak, I am low-functioning...ok, I will act like one." So, he proceeded to act like one in the restaurant but with very exagerrated goofy facial expressions and arm movements. I told him to STOP because I could not contain my laugher so I got my order and ran out of the restaurant and bust out laughing in the parking lot. I told my brother that he was bad!

He said if the lady cashier wanted to stereotype deaf people then I will give her what she wants.

I saw you posting something about this on FB. I wish I could've been there to see it. Must've been funny as hell. I like your last statement about the stereotyping.

I saw you posting something about this on FB. I wish I could've been there to see it. Must've been funny as hell. I like your last statement about the stereotyping.

What really made me lose it was when before he walked out the door, he grabbed the taco bell ringer and started swinging it so hard to make loud clanging noises and people turned to look at him. He crossed his eyes and made his lips stretch and said "Babababababa" with flapping his arms like a bird. That made me run out because I couldnt look at the customers and the workers to see their reaction.

What really made me lose it was when before he walked out the door, he grabbed the taco bell ringer and started swinging it so hard to make loud clanging noises and people turned to look at him. He crossed his eyes and made his lips stretch and said "Babababababa" with flapping his arms like a bird. That made me run out because I couldnt look at the customers and the workers to see their reaction.

:lol:

WOW, I know this comment will not be popular, but that's never stopped me from saying anything I feel before so...I really do understand your obvious anger with the people each of you mentioned, and all the others who just do not understand deafness.

But it's nice to have a place to vent and others would totally get what I mean. i don't usually express anger with hearing people making ignorant comments for the reasons you've mentioned - they just don't know. I do try to inform them like "yes, I can lipread but it's a myth that deaf people are perfect lipreaders" etc etc but I don't address them with rage on a daily basis nor am I even capable of that.

But here? I will vent because I need to get these things off my chest instead of having them build up and fester inside me.

I have hearing friends ignored to deaf culture because not fair because communication,

they don't understand because deaf culture! whom is don't understand how, rude on communication to hearing ignored deaf culture, deaf hurt upset!

:lol: Your brother sounds like a riot! :lol:

Your brother sounds great Shel!! That is so funny. I wonder what they think after that performace!!

Yea, my brother is outrageous sometimes. He has guts to embarass himself and anyone who is with him in public. Most of the time, it is me. :lol:

Yea, my brother is outrageous sometimes. He has guts to embarass himself and anyone who is with him in public. Most of the time, it is me. :lol:

He totally sounds like a blast.

I can so totally relate to every single thing you posted just now.

I totally hate the "I'll pray for you" -- I've had that numerous times. Pray for what? Nothing's wrong with me, ma'am or sir!

Yeppers. I've posted before about the stranger in Walmart who saw me signing with my son when he was about 7 or 8. She told him God would heal him if he prayed hard enough. He told her he wasn't sick.

Speaking of fast food restaurant stories. Yesterday, my brother and I stopped by Taco bell after work. He doesnt have any speech skills but he knows how to communicate with hearing people very well. So, he went first to put his order in and told the lady he wanted tacos. The lady spoke so sloowly "HHHHHHHHHAAAAAARRRRDDD or SSSSSSSOOOOFFFTTT?" My brother signed "hard as an erection." When I saw what he signed, I tried so hard not to laugh but the cashier didnt catch the obvious ASL sign for "erection". So he got his order in and then my brother told me that he will grab salsa for me. I signed back, "Sure" and then went to order for myself. Yes, I have speech skills so I used them. The lady said to me, "Please tell your client that his order number is this and that and pls tell him thank you for coming to taco bell." I almost started laughing...she thinks my brother is from a group home and I am his one-on-one resident counselor. I tried to keep a straight face while order because I was thinking of the sign he used and what she said. I was so tired so when I am that tired, I laugh easily. Then, I got my order and went to get my drink. Told my brother what the cashier said to me and that she probably thinks he is low functioning so my brother was like, "Fine...she assumes because I cant speak, I am low-functioning...ok, I will act like one." So, he proceeded to act like one in the restaurant but with very exagerrated goofy facial expressions and arm movements. I told him to STOP because I could not contain my laugher so I got my order and ran out of the restaurant and bust out laughing in the parking lot. I told my brother that he was bad!

He said if the lady cashier wanted to stereotype deaf people then I will give her what she wants.

I love your brother!:laugh2:

I WORK AT A MCDONALDS in Ky and we have several deaf that come there why do you suspose? because three of us can sign and those that can't have pen and paper handy we treat them ,ike everybody else

I WORK AT A MCDONALDS in Ky and we have several deaf that come there why do you suspose? because three of us can sign and those that can't have pen and paper handy we treat them ,ike everybody else

Absolutely. Word spreads quickly through the deaf community about places of business that are "deaf friendly". It is a shame that the business community doesn't realize the best form of advertising is to accommodate the deaf. They are loosing out on the business of a very large segment of the population.

How true! I used to work for a large retailer and just a few miles away is a Deaf Academy. Because of that we'd get a fair amount of deaf customers. After awhile I noticed that many would wait in my line even if another line was shorter. Why? Because even though my ASL and signing was very clumsy - I made the effort to communicate and be friendly.

Now as my own hearing is declining, I notice even more how impatient people can be with the HOH or Deaf. (or anyone who doesn't speak the language, has a disability, needs extra time because they are elderly...so on and so on....) I'm glad I wasn't that way when I was totally hearing.

I had a nurse tell me the other night that I was quite intelligent for knowing why I have surgery scars on my chest, left arm and right leg. (All are a result of my heart bypass surgery). I'm thinking is this nurse for real when I asked her if she actually met people who had no idea why they had scars like mine. I'm thinking oh great I have an audist on my hands. :P

Back